Well, that was a first.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
What. The. Fck. Just. Happened??!!

Paddled in from a good session, and was watching my daughter and friend boogie boarding around in the inside/shorebreak. Looking down the beach, I catch a glimpse of something close to shore in the shallows about 50 yards away. Comes up again, it’s a dolphin (we’ll call it D)! At first wasn’t sure, but the hooked dorsal fin, and eventually seeing the long snout made me think I was correct. I’m not a marine biologist, so theres that.

I start heading over that way, so far being the only one noticing. As the water recedes, this dolphin is now effectively beached, flopping side to side in a couple inches of water. A few more beach goers notice, and head over. It appears this dolphin is trying to beach itself or somehow got stuck in the shallows. I’ve always been a ‘leave nature alone’ guy, and thought that if this thing is purposely beaching itself, who am I to interfere? At the same time, if D accidentally did this, I should help a fellow creature (DLM!).

By this time, a few more people have gathered, and are trying to figure out how to help D out. I run up the beach, put my board down (nose down, pointed into the wind so it doesn’t go flying down the beach!), and head back to the scene. I tell the group, ‘hey, can someone call Fish and Game, or Park Rangers, or someone that might be trained :D . Didn’t see anyone get their phone out though. Some guy with an 8’ soft top showed up and is trying to get everyone to put the dolphin on the board and push it out. ‘Not going to work’ I said. Somehow, I end up being the guy in charge, probably because I have a wetsuit on, and because the soft top idea failed immediately and I called it. Who knows.

Me and another guy are now trying to pull/carry this 5’-ish creature out to sea. As the surges come in/recede, we time it, finally getting into knee deep water. All of a sudden, it’s just me holding onto D. D has minor wounds, nothing fresh, so doesn’t appear mortally wounded. I’ve never stared into a dolphins eye like that, with it looking back at me. My right hand is holding the area where the tail meets the body, and my left hand is trying to steer it out to sea. D keeps trying to turn back to land, and i keep pushing and steering it back out to sea. I find myself talking to D the whole time, encouraging it to live! Once we are in chest/waist deep water, I get it swimming out. Only to have it turn around again. I block it with my body, turn it around, and start leading it out again. This repeats 3 times, before D finally swims out into deeper water. All together, I was probably wrestling/steering for about 5 minutes. WTF!

As I turn to come in, down the beach another 30 yards is a second dolphin. Holy shetballs!

I overhear someone say, ‘get the guy with the wetsuit’, referring to me, because I have become the freakin Dolphin Whisperer all of a sudden. I head over there, seeing that this D2 is smaller, about 4' long, and has been attacked sometime recently. Bite marks don’t look fresh, but it got hit by something bigger and hungry.

My first thought is that D2 doesn’t look much longer for this life. I take a hold of the tail and drag it out, as the surges allow. Much lighter and weaker than D. Are they related? Fck do I know! I was just trying to enjoy my beach day. Anyway, get D2 out to deeper water, and it keeps turning back in, several times. With D2 I keep thinking, ‘If D2 makes it back out, something will eat it soon enough. Should I just let it die on shore or out there?’ The group of Karens/people behind me answer that for me. So, after several minutes, it disappears into the surf. I can’t see it going out, so I’m thinking the current might have it, or it is going out to sea.

Walk back up the beach to grab my board. I’m not sure what the heck just happened. Tell my daughter I’m headed back to where we are staying about a 1/2 mile away, and start walking down the beach.

About 3/4 of the way back, look up and see something flopping on the shore and beach goers gathering. No. way. Start jogging over. See that it is D2, again. Put my board down, and head over. The current had carried D2 down here. How about that, I’m the only one with a wetsuit here! We go through the same dance again. Except, now we have drifted into more thumping shore break, and I am getting pounded with the poor thing. Several minutes later, D2 is in deeper water, getting carried by current down the beach. I notice another dolphin cruising around between the 1st/2nd sandbar. Is it D? How the hell should I know, but my guess is yes. Figure D2 would end up on the beach again down current.

The ocean has always produced weird and cool shet to be amazed by, but this one was a true WTF!

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Here's some advice. Let it beach itself. Don't steer it back into the ocean, it makes their last moments extra sucky. Dig a "moat" around it that can fill up with water as surges come in, put wet towels over it but don't block the hole and call the ppl that rescue them (they'll probably euthanize it on the beach or take it away to do it if there's a crowd). Did the wounds look like a hole/circle?

Reactions: rice

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I would've been conflicted for sure if the Dolphin kept trying to swim back in.

That said, "most beached dolphins can only survive for a short amount of time (a few hours) on land before becoming dehydrated, especially in warm or hot climates".

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
After talking to people more informed/smarter than me, I will not help stranded wildlife ever again. This was the first time I had interfered with nature in that way, except the times I helped put a fatally injured animal out of misery or killed something I caught to eat.

Sorry dolphin, my mistake!

Reactions: jamesgang and rice

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
After talking to people more informed/smarter than me, I will not help stranded wildlife ever again. This was the first time I had interfered with nature in that way, except the times I helped put a fatally injured animal out of misery or killed something I caught to eat.

we have a dolphin situation down here

are you available via face time to help?

• Haha
Reactions: HarryLopez

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Maybe they weren't dolphins?

Maybe they were dogs. Were you on acid?
They might have been other erbbers for all I know anymore.
They weren't black, and weren't riding bikes as far as I could tell.

There goes my Dolphin Lives Matter shirt idea.

• Haha
Reactions: rice

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
dude. that took way too long. it's dead now. are you happy?
Based on his first post, yep. Delights in exacerbating the horrors of a defenseless animal's imminent death.

Just kidding. We're not supposed to try to help them? Aw. :(

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
turns out there are rules. i had no idea.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I dunno, man. there are plenty of people I would let die...but as i've alway said, dolphisn are better people than most humans I know. hard not to try and do everything that possibly seems like helping.

Reactions: Bob

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

Right or wrong, I get how hard it can be to walk away.

I probably would have tried to do the same thing unless I knew better or had previous experience in a similar situation.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Oh sh!t, I just made the connection.

Did it thank you for all the fish?

DID IT THANK YOU FOR ALL THE FISH?!?!

Shlt has been getting crazy lately. If the dolphins made the jump, and this little guy just didn't pull it off with the group, we might be fvcked in 24 hours.