We'll miss you so much Greg - RIP Greg Griffin

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
Oh man, I thought it might have been a bad joke. So sad, RB then GG. I will try to add some add some late '60s, early '70s Sunset Point stories someday to help fill the void.

So Greg wasn't as into bottom concaves as most top surfboard shapers?

I knew a guy who was into opiates, his parents took him in and made him promise to clean up for a new 1200 cc. He got in a bad wreck at a banked oval track, put on drip in the hospital, then pills for years. Last I heard he is addicted worse, now with metal body parts.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Pretty bummed about this all day. He was a bitter sounding guy online, but in person he was stocked and willing to talk and explain design for as long as you wanted to. He explained why I liked certain boards and that got me on to the path that I'm surfing better at 42 than I was at 24. Mahalo for that Gregg. I always wanted to order a hovercraft from him, but never did. I will cherish the 3 sets of fins I have from him.

What a bad ass, going out in a motorcycle crash at 70 something years old. Core Lord.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Feels like someone needs to derail this conversation for exactly one post, in honor of Greg.
I'll bite. Bikes. That was one place he and I could connect on the same level and I appreciated talking to another guy who was around when MTBs were rickety old things. He had that crusty old guy experience but was in tune with what's going on enough that he was really digging the new style of bikes and riding. You don't see that much in riders his age and I respected it. I'm glad to have "known" him even as little as I did and will miss our interactions and especially his quips about the NS community.

Last edited:

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Feels like someone needs to derail this conversation for exactly one post, in honor of Greg.
D500EF3F-A4FB-46A3-AECA-3EFEC7B3BF31.jpeg

horses are fun!

… I definitely gave Greg some sh!t on here but also really appreciated his informative posts… not all of em were cryptic.

Took this photo yesterday. Got skunked, but said hi to this fella across from my fav spot.

RIP GG

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Pretty bummed about this all day. He was a bitter sounding guy online, but in person he was stocked and willing to talk and explain design for as long as you wanted to. He explained why I liked certain boards and that got me on to the path that I'm surfing better at 42 than I was at 24. Mahalo for that Gregg. I always wanted to order a hovercraft from him, but never did. I will cherish the 3 sets of fins I have from him.

What a bad ass, going out in a motorcycle crash at 70 something years old. Core Lord.
I have been super bummed on this. He was so different in person than online.

And yea he was always going hard.
I think he crashed his mountain bike into a tree a few years back and broke his shoulder?

legend for sure

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
Greg was a premium shaper, and his G10 fins world class. Most of us had our jousts with him on the forum, he was a man of strong opinions who gave as well as he took.
In the end Greg was OG all the way, and props to him for having lived the life he chose. Better to end it on a motorcycle than a heart attack in a f'n cubicle.
Glassy lineups forever, Greg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Been thinking about GG a lot. We used to battle in the design forum but that was years ago. I used to get so mad but I cant even remember what it was about. Probably some of my own sh1t as much as anything. Somehow we made a truce or maybe he just wore me down. Either way we got over it and figured out how to be friends I think. I even managed to get the occasional lol out of the guy which always felt great.

Its still just crazy to me that he's gone.

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
otf, surfwordz, GG, too many people from here whom i have met and surfed with in person are now gone. none of us are getting any younger. almost lost a couple of you who are reading this, too. i know GG and i had our beefs. rather epic, and pretty childish. well, i wanna honor the guy, and those others we have lost. another AB3 or something. a gathering of survivors of eunice and stuart lanning. something. some of you i wanna surf with one more time, or just meet for real. at a beach. in the ocean. on a board. you know, because we are surfers. let's do this. the GG AB3. what say you?