We'll miss you so much Greg - RIP Greg Griffin

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
damn. i know i talked more crap to him than he deserved, but i hope deep down he knew i was joking. most of the time. i may have gone overboard, in fact i'm sure i did, but gg was one of us, and that dude will be missed. we had some epic arguments, and then everything just settled down. i remember at an AB3, he handed me a board and i just laughed. i wasn't gonna ride it in front of all of you. now, i wish i had. i actually heard some good reports about them. he didn't get to where was as a shaper by being a hack. he was a craftsman, a bike rider, a surfer, a father, a husband, so many more things. i'm pissed at myself and gutted. gg was always up for a joust. his flagrant self promotion was legendary. he always stayed true to himself, and i respect that. it's horrible that he went out the way he did. life is short man. fook!!! rip gg, you were a worthy foe, and i did consider you a friend. in erBB terms, i was stocked to have been here with you.
A eulogy worthy of being read at his funeral.
Rest in Peace GG.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
WTF if is it about Florida and erBB Pacific coasters?

Not long after Mr. Bill sells his old house in Pacific Palisades for solid money and happily retires to Florida to surf warm water, he's diagnosed with terminal cancer. Griffin heads from Hawaii to Florida and dies on a fuggin motorcycle.

Rest in peace to both of you fine gentlemen.
The moto is easy. They are death machines. Everyone I know who has had a motorcycle over the years has been in a major near-death accidents and several have died. 100% major accident rate. Every one of them.

Really wish Greg had taken the car that day. RIP you crazy kid.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
The moto is easy. They are death machines. Everyone I know who has had a motorcycle over the years has been in a major near-death accidents and several have died. 100% major accident rate. Every one of them.

Really wish Greg had taken the car that day. RIP you crazy kid.
Anyone who has ridden a moto in their life more than say, for fun a few times (5-10?) knows perfectly well that it's not IF, it's WHEN and HOW BAD will the fall be when it inevitably comes.

I'm amazed to be alive with the crazy cheet we used to do in the early 80's in Madrid, both off and on the tarmac. OSSA 250 off LAVERDA 1000 on.

Amazed I'm not there waiting to receive Greg I tell ya.

It's not IF, it's WHEN and HOW BAD, always with motorcycles.

:shrug::shameonyou::shrug:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Anyone who has ridden a moto in their life more than say, for fun a few times (5-10?) knows perfectly well that it's not IF, it's WHEN and HOW BAD will the fall be when it inevitably comes.
Motorbike rider since I was a teen.

For streetbikes, one wreck on my own (tar snake on hot day in a corner), one due to left turner at a light.

ATGATT (all the gear all the time) has allowed me to walk away both times

By the way, been in accidents (as passenger) in:
cars
busses
train
plane
boats (small)

You pay your money, you take your chances.

PS
Been in more bicycle wrecks though...

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Damn! Always thought it was cool someone of his caliber was on here. His post were entertaining and informative if you could figure it out. Sounds like he went out doing one of the things he enjoyed. RIP good sir!

Reactions: PRCD and Boneroni

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005

I'm amazed to be alive with the crazy cheet we used to do in the early 80's in Madrid, both off and on the tarmac. OSSA 250 off LAVERDA 1000 on.

Amazed I'm not there waiting to receive Greg I tell ya.

It's not IF, it's WHEN and HOW BAD, always with motorcycles.

:shrug::shameonyou::shrug:
Yeah, I had a dirt bike that I also rode on the street when I was 16-17. The close calls with autos were terrifying, the crashes off road were crazy. If I had been older, I probably wouldn't be alive. I have never wanted another one, and refused to let my kids have one.

I'm super bummed about this. I really enjoyed Greg's posts which demonstrated not only his passion for surfboard design, but his knowledge of surfing's history. I'll miss the guy.

And from a purely selfish perspective, I'm kicking myself. I had a shoulder injury and didn't surf for over a year, and was going to have Greg shape a board for me with a little more length and volume. He seemed to be a guy that would get it right away. Procrastination; UGH!!

RIP Greg.

Reactions: PRCD and sizzld1

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
All the posts and tributes here from Gregs friends and even foes here say a lot about his impact.
A huge part of the board has gone and wont be forgotten soon.

Going to be riding my GGs a lot the next few weeks. Should organize a meet up to let others try them
I randomly got extra fins with him as a part of my last order, will treasure them now.

I hate motorcycles, had to stop riding them myself years ago. Lost way to many good people due to crashes.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
A shaper here burned me once on a build. Complicated situation but basically the shaper just made the board and had me pay Glasser direct and the board basically melted cause the Glasser messed it up somehow.

Shaper was like well not my problem I just shape.

posted here asking for advice and showed the board but blocked all logos.

GG DMs me with full background on the board, the the shaper, the glasser, and what to do.

Somehow he knew all of it just by the pic. Really helped me out and the shaper reached out to me after to try make it right and I’m pretty sure GG had something to do with it.

GG also told me don’t waste your time with a shaper who doesn’t stand by his product and ensure quality start to finish with glassing

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
A shaper here burned me once on a build. Complicated situation but basically the shaper just made the board and had me pay Glasser direct and the board basically melted cause the Glasser messed it up somehow.

Shaper was like well not my problem I just shape.

posted here asking for advice and showed the board but blocked all logos.

GG DMs me with full background on the board, the the shaper, the glasser, and what to do.

Somehow he knew all of it just by the pic. Really helped me out and the shaper reached out to me after to try make it right and I’m pretty sure GG had something to do with it.

GG also told me don’t waste your time with a shaper who doesn’t stand by his product and ensure quality start to finish with glassing
His attention to detail was great. The glass jobs were great. The fins were great and matched to the boar. The way he packed the boars for shipping was impeccable. I was definitely going to order another one from him.

They don't make guys like him anymore.

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
Fck. He caught a lot of sh!t here for his online persona but seemed like a genuine dude and certainly had a wealth of knowledge. I was hoping to get a board shaped by him one of these days, sadly waited too long on that one. RIP GG, may it be offshore and head high wherever you are.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Hope GGs wife is reading all these kind words and condolences.
Kind of reminds me of when my dad passed away.
He was a big presence on the Steel Guitar forum, like GG, a master of his craft.
After I posted on his forum that he had died, I got hundreds of well wishing posts.
Made me realize how well respected he was.
RIP GG :jamon: