We'll miss you so much Greg - RIP Greg Griffin

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
How can this thread be without a subtly inserted Greg Griffin surfboard?

I'll take the honors.

My most magic board I have ever ridden for swells like we are having. So magic it is bewildering. 6Fin.

IMG_8724.JPG

Thanks Greg, you will be missed.

I loved that he would never give up an answer but make you try and think about it.

P.s. Airbrush by Jeannie Chesser

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I always thought his posts were an epic troll job. Like there was no way he took himself that seriously but he did it to get a rise out of people here. Those that met him before would understand what I mean.

What a shitty way to go. I was honestly shocked when I saw the post on instagram.

I had an amazing T&C longboard shaped by him. I sold it and have always regretted it. I intended to order another one once things in my life settled down and hold it for life :cry:. RIP braddah.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The coolest thing about GG, to me, is he lived on his terms mastering a craft he loved.

There aren’t many who get to build recreational crafts for a living and dedicate their life too it and succeeds.

Lived Santa Cruz then NS when it was raw and underground (as a haole no less).

His trolling here was also hilarious to me.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
This calls for a glass of red wine with ice cubes. Just as Greg would want his! A drink to Greg and all that he brought to the surfing world. Thanks Greg, your personality, your incredible shaping savvy, and your boards will be missed. RIP

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
my heart is broken
so much death around me these last two years

Greg was my primary shaper for almost 20 years
I still remember that first apprehensive call I made to order my first custom which I still have
one of the best boards I've ever owned
that first call went on for hours as did every call that followed
I owned everything he came up with even bought most of his personal boards
including the board he made and brought over to surf here last year
we had a great time catching up talking shop as always

I will miss him and his knowledge about his craft and the industry history lectures.
I am glad god gave him a great 2nd chance at love after losing his wife to cancer
as those were terrible times when he'd call me at work all the time and talk for hours just to get thing off his chest.
he loved pulling everyone's chain here and f..ck everyone with the all their bad vibes that have soiled this place

A Hui Hou Greg
I'm sure we'll catch up one day soon

Griffin.jpg

newfolder4213.jpg

here's to you GG... blow it up big time up there

Last edited:

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
my heart is broken
so much death around me these last two years

Greg was my primary shaper for almost 20 years
I still remember that first apprehensive call I made to order my first custom which I still have
one of the best boards I've ever owned
that first call went on for hours as did every call that followed
I owned everything he came up with even bought most of his personal boards
including the board he made and brought over to surf here last year
we had a great time catching up talking shop as always

I will miss him and his knowledge about his craft and the industry history lectures.
I am glad god gave him a great 2nd chance at love after losing his wife to cancer
as those were terrible times when he'd call me at work all the time and talk for hours just to get thing off his chest.
he loved pulling everyone's chain here and f..ck everyone with the all their bad vibes that have soiled this place

A Hui Hou Greg
I'm sure we'll catch up one day soon
I was thinking of you today, Oneula, after I heard the terrible news

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
4FC075A6-C375-4AF3-951D-9AB3A00B1E5F.jpeg

9A2C2406-FDD7-48AA-8F5C-992525E7377F.jpeg

The board underneath the 8 channel Speed Egg (which goes insane and made me realize channels done right, are right) is a 9’0 6 fin longboard in which I got the most insane, longest, biggest backside barrel, riding on the foam ball tube, at South Bird Rock I’ve ever had...off season to boot. Cheers Greg, I owe you up here (There)

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
At least he got to go while 'standing up' , so to speak, and practicing one of his favorite pastimes to boot.

R.I.P. GG.

:cry: hate it when one of us goes, irregardless of stock levels or contributions. Be safe out there, while charging at life my erBB brothers in postings. :waving::shaka::bowdown:

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Rest in peace Greg. Florida highways are no joke. I was hoping to one day order a board with fins to match when I returned home. I always thought is was so cool that you moved to northern Florida, and were doing your thing there.