Weight loss is harder than rocket science.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
What's your point.

Exactly zero of them are doing gymnastics in preparation for weightlifting competitions.

I would take strength and training advice from a philosophy major named Alwine from a dogshit school no one has ever heard of like I would take advice from skully on where to find pants with a greater than 24 inch inseam.

Some things that the greatest olympic lifters ever have done includes things shitting in diapers. Is shitting your pants going to make you stronger?
YES NOW WE ARE BACK WHERE WE BELONG!!!!! THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN 2020!!!!!

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
got a few nugs for the weekend. Munchies attached with a vengeance. BBQ for Lunch on Sat and Pizza for dinner Fri, Sat and Sun. lol. I held back on the sweets as much as I could but did not finish the weekend unscathed. Could have been much, much worse though.

It's all done now (it was just 2 grams). Back to it. Just got back from the Gym... some of the equipment was under maintenance, so instead of doing some half ass strength exercises I decided to just use the stationary bike and then the treadmill. Still breathing so it was alright.

Starting a second week in a row going to the gym is a win by itself, I'll take it. Now for some salad.

Reactions: santacruzin

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Caught up a friend over the weekend.

We talked of lots of things, but he did tell a good story on how he lost 20 lbs since March.

"Mr Doof, I think I finally figured out how to lose weight. See, when the lockdown started, thought money would get tight, so I swore to only buy necessities, and that meant no more beer and wine, no more chips and cookies, besides I already had a few bottles of wine, half opened bottles of vodka and tequila, and 1/2 case of Anchor. So we went through that by the end of April. Then got laid off, thank-god she still has a job at UC Med, and after I cleaned the house 4 or 5 times, including the bathroom grout, I started riding my bike every other day. Did a few rides to top of San Bruno mountain, Hawk Hill too, but mostly do a loop that runs through the Presidio then over to Great Highway to Ft Funston and back. The no beer thing was weird at first, but now it isn't. No more alcohol, no more snacks, some exercise, and there went 20 lbs. Wife tells me I should keep on cleaning the house and the weight will keep going down but probably just need to stop snacking out of boredom."

"What are you snacking on?"

"Cold, chopped veggies."

"No 'ants on a log'?"

"What?

"Lunch meal option for kids...celery with peanut butter and raisins. You had kids, you don't know this?

"Yeah, they had kimchi. And no, just plain vegs. Not even ranch dressing or sesame oil and salt and pepper flakes."

So there you go, cut the alcohol out, cut the chips and cookies, get in some exercise and some veggies, and let time do the rest.

And I think I finally figured out how to gain weight: peanut butter on celery (sans 'ants') as frequent snack and less exercise.

But I think the ginger plant is getting ready to bloom (seems early this year...usually an indicator that the season of fog is past the mid-point), so time to start getting back into surf-shape (once I clean the weight bench).

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
just don't eat too much lol

BTW my wife and i had dinner with Random Guy and his wife this weekend, it was a gorgeous evening in their gorgeous backyard patio/garden/lawn/pool. the highlight? when we got in the car, my wife said "Mrs Random Guy said you look like a movie star" ....:waving::shameonyou::roflmao:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
When I started at the boxing gym years ago my rope jumping was so shitty. Kids were doing all these tricks and going so fast, I was going real slow and looking weak. The kids are all cool and positive though, so one of them was like "Unko, just jump without the rope to find you pace and that's your pace." So I jumped without the rope to see what felt natural and then used the rope to match that. I've gotten faster since and can do all the tricks, but I really just try to zone out for the 3min rounds. I put headphones on and use a free boxing app on m phone that rings with music on simultaneously. 3min on, 1min break with 10 second warning before end of round and end of break. Try to do 8 to 12 rounds every other day. Goal is to zone out and not even know what round I'm on or how much time is left in round/break - just react to warnings and buzzers.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
When I started at the boxing gym years ago my rope jumping was so shitty. Kids were doing all these tricks and going so fast, I was going real slow and looking weak. The kids are all cool and positive though, so one of them was like "Unko, just jump without the rope to find you pace and that's your pace." So I jumped without the rope to see what felt natural and then used the rope to match that. I've gotten faster since and can do all the tricks, but I really just try to zone out for the 3min rounds. I put headphones on and use a free boxing app on m phone that rings with music on simultaneously. 3min on, 1min break with 10 second warning before end of round and end of break. Try to do 8 to 12 rounds every other day. Goal is to zone out and not even know what round I'm on or how much time is left in round/break - just react to warnings and buzzers.
Everyone does swear by jumping rope. After reading that most of you struggled with it at some point, I might just give it a try.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

BTW my wife and i had dinner with Random Guy and his wife this weekend, it was a gorgeous evening in their gorgeous backyard patio/garden/lawn/pool. the highlight? when we got in the car, my wife said "Mrs Random Guy said you look like a movie star" ....:waving::shameonyou::roflmao:

This being the erBB...what movie star was she thinking of when she made that comment?

:D

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

yeah, which movie star is the question
i was sure you were going to say the highlight was the awesome dinner mrs rg made, which was not just tasty, but also healthy
i guess either in keeping with this thread

but, I mean, yeah, you’re looking good, bro

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Having only 1 hour at the gym (and having only biked and ran yesterday) today I decided to just to some weight lifting and skip the cardio.

There was a rope in the gym (I didn't know there was one), so instead of resting between the sets I actually tried jumping rope.

The tip from racer1 really helped... I was having a hard time and then decided to jump without the rope to learn my rhythm. Worked like magic. Not a pro or anything, but I was actually having to stop because it was killing me and not because the rope hit my shin. :p

jumping rope is tiresome but you can feel it works. Will be part of my routine everyday from now on, until I can do it for longer at a time.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
The Concept 2 rower is your weight loss friend. I dropped 15 pounds last year by hitting it for 30 minutes a few times a week early in the morning after a cup of coffee. I'd do a 15 minute long n strong warmup, stop to stretch and do some abs/core stuff, then the last 15 was a series of intervals, trying to keep 500 meter pace under 2"15 average for the 15 minutes. Holy hell that's a tough workout.

Of course I gained back 10 in corona lockdown but have already down 4-5 lbs with the rower. Key to weight loss is keeping it at a steady but low rate, like 2 lbs a month max. Last time I dropped weight fast my body rebelled and I practically binged for a few days...

If I were younger and tougher I'd go for boxing or Xfit but I like to just put on the headphones and blast some thrash metal or hardcore and zone out...highly recommend nu thrash band Havok...

Reactions: Chocki and brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Back is sore today. It's definitely because of jumping rope (I could actually feel the pressure on my lower back).

Maybe this is normal, but still I think I should probably tighten my core more when jumping rope.

Also, got some over the top organic nugs (better than lots of CA nugs my friend tells me, to whici I replied I'll believe it when I see it) which will arrive today so I better control myself, the munchies usually get the best of me.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
The Concept 2 rower is your weight loss friend. I dropped 15 pounds last year by hitting it for 30 minutes a few times a week early in the morning after a cup of coffee. I'd do a 15 minute long n strong warmup, stop to stretch and do some abs/core stuff, then the last 15 was a series of intervals, trying to keep 500 meter pace under 2"15 average for the 15 minutes. Holy hell that's a tough workout.

Of course I gained back 10 in corona lockdown but have already down 4-5 lbs with the rower. Key to weight loss is keeping it at a steady but low rate, like 2 lbs a month max. Last time I dropped weight fast my body rebelled and I practically binged for a few days...

If I were younger and tougher I'd go for boxing or Xfit but I like to just put on the headphones and blast some thrash metal or hardcore and zone out...highly recommend nu thrash band Havok...
Do I lose too much if I just use lower cables instead of a proper rowing machine? That's what I've been doing in part.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Does anyone count calories?

Not eating at night is helpful too.

I had two beer last night.

But I came in under 1800 calories which is sub mantinence for me.

I kind of having to crazy when I try to loose weight.

Cocaine helps too. :waving:

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil

I'm afraid of cocaine. I totally abuse cannabis, that white powder ain't something you can lose control of.

I tried it once a loooong time ago back in 2000. I told myself, I'll do it now just so I know what it feels like and then never again. Snored 3 lines throughout the night... felt amazing. Never again. I'm afraid of things that make you feel that good.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I'm afraid of cocaine. I totally abuse cannabis, that white powder ain't something you can lose control of.

I tried it once a loooong time ago back in 2000. I told myself, I'll do it now just so I know what it feels like and then never again. Snored 3 lines throughout the night... felt amazing. Never again. I'm afraid of things that make you feel that good.
Get a little self control, man.

Actually, I think it's temperament.

I don't have the robustness to abuse drugs.

My body rejects it at some point.

My girl friend calls me a wannabe druggie.

I might be a sex addict.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

I used to count calories
did that for around 9 months until I was pretty stable at my goal weight
it trained me well enough that I know how much I can eat without logging it
i still use my fitness pal to track my weight, which is good, since without it I’d have no idea what I used to weigh
except the erbb official weigh in thread every thanksgiving