Weight loss is harder than rocket science.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
42,715
8,179
113
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Been running a lot and it is paying massive dividends. Down to 198, dropped 10 pounds in the couple months or so, and feeling damn good. Helps a lot to have much better weather up here (i.e., not already 75 degrees at 8 in the morning) and great places to run right out my door.

Pretty much just eat granola bar and some fruit (bananas, avocados) for breakfast/lunch, meat dish with salad for dinner, keeping the snacking to a bare minimum after dinner. Keep rice/noodles also to minimum (not easy in my house), keep the beer indulgence for the weekends and yeah, seems to be a decent formula. Hope so - Fall is Coming.
Went from 6'1 and 218 to 194 since Thanksgiving. Little bit of yogurt with granola in it for breakfast. 2 hard boiled eggs and a handful of dates for lunch. Light dinner (fish and rice most often). The main thing was eliminating stopping for fast food or convenience store food while on the road for work and no soda. Other than weight lifting, 5-mile walks or surfing 6 days a week.
 

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
57,073
14,628
113
60
Vagina Point
The geneticist I mentioned above thinks that our lifespan is only 30% predetermined by our genes; whereas, our environment accounts for the other 70%. He cites the Okinawans as an example:
They are among the longest lived individuals only when they stay in Okinawa. Those that leave and live in Hawaii die much earlier.
The goal isn't a long life; it's compressed morbidity.

Genetics and lifestyle come into play.

It's better to be lucky than good.
 

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
57,073
14,628
113
60
Vagina Point
Went from 6'1 and 218 to 194 since Thanksgiving. Little bit of yogurt with granola in it for breakfast. 2 hard boiled eggs and a handful of dates for lunch. Light dinner (fish and rice most often). The main thing was eliminating stopping for fast food or convenience store food while on the road for work and no soda. Other than weight lifting, 5-mile walks or surfing 6 days a week.
I hit 200 and lost my sh!t.

I wasn't that heaving when I was my most buffed.

Back to 189.

That weight is fine.

I just need to get my 8 pack back

I have a one pack now
 
Last edited:

cstreet

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 19, 2021
1,096
1,024
113
Southern Cali
Diet quality is important.

But how much we eat is even more important.
This is clearly false. For one thing, the worse your diet is the harder it will be to not overeat. A natural diet is far more satiating because that's what we evolved consuming and our gut/microbiome sends signals to the brain that they're good with fewer calories than a modern diet. A modern diet tends to promote a gut/microbiome that's hard to satisfy. A modern diet is also far more calorie-rich.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
10,628
5,430
113
LBNY
The geneticist I mentioned above thinks that our lifespan is only 30% predetermined by our genes; whereas, our environment accounts for the other 70%. He cites the Okinawans as an example:
They are among the longest lived individuals only when they stay in Okinawa. Those that leave and live in Hawaii die much earlier.
I believe that. Get me to a wave rich blue zone post haste Mortimer
 

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
57,073
14,628
113
60
Vagina Point
This is clearly false. For one thing, the worse your diet is the harder it will be to not overeat. A natural diet is far more satiating because that's what we evolved consuming and our gut/microbiome sends signals to the brain that they're good with fewer calories than a modern diet. A modern diet tends to promote a gut/microbiome that's hard to satisfy. A modern diet is also far more calorie-rich.
But it's the calories that kill

So we can agree it's multivariate

I'm not arguing for eating a shitty diet.

Common ground: eating a healthy diet will biases us away from over eating, which has many negative health consequences.
 

cstreet

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 19, 2021
1,096
1,024
113
Southern Cali
But it's the calories that kill
I don't see how you can say this with a straight face (I'm assuming it is). A diet of candy bars vs roughly the same caloric intake of vegetables, for instance, will affect a person's health differently, don't you think?

I can't help it if people aint got no will power.
Why make a lifestyle harder than it needs to be?
 

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
57,073
14,628
113
60
Vagina Point
I don't see how you can say this with a straight face (I'm assuming it is). A diet of candy bars vs roughly the same caloric intake of vegetables, for instance, will affect a person's health differently, don't you think?



Why make a lifestyle harder than it needs to be?
OVer consumption

If you don't over eat a candy bar won't hurt you.

You can get to fussy about diet.

And not fussy enough
 

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
18,356
5,317
113
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Bullcrap. Generally speaking, we're only destined for hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, and other common 'aging' issues because of what we eat. But if folks ate an actual healthy diet the food, medical, and pharmaceutical industries would take a huge hit, so rather than living more healthy, we change the definition of normal aging.
Generally you can change your cholesterol about +/- 10 with diet...that's it. Cholesterol has more to do with genetics than anything else. The good news is statins are safe, inexpensive and well tolerated by everyone. Far and away have saved more lives than any other medical intervention.
 

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
18,356
5,317
113
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I don't see how you can say this with a straight face (I'm assuming it is). A diet of candy bars vs roughly the same caloric intake of vegetables, for instance, will affect a person's health differently, don't you think?



Why make a lifestyle harder than it needs to be?
As far as adipose tissue gain/loss goes very similar. The other health ramifications can differ greatly due to the lack of nutrition for both the candy bar eater and the vegan...with the former getting much less nutrition of course.
 

cstreet

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 19, 2021
1,096
1,024
113
Southern Cali
Generally you can change your cholesterol about +/- 10 with diet...that's it. Cholesterol has more to do with genetics than anything else. The good news is statins are safe, inexpensive and well tolerated by everyone. Far and away have saved more lives than any other medical intervention.
There's a rare genetic condition called hypercholesterolemia, if that's what you're refering to.
 

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
19,355
8,843
113
A Beach
The geneticist I mentioned above thinks that our lifespan is only 30% predetermined by our genes; whereas, our environment accounts for the other 70%. He cites the Okinawans as an example:
They are among the longest lived individuals only when they stay in Okinawa. Those that leave and live in Hawaii die much earlier.
I would bet that the community and family connection aspect is a big part of that longevity and why it's not observed when they leave Okinawa, even if their activity and diet doesn't change.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
5,824
1,949
113
1134
The goal isn't a long life; it's compressed morbidity.

Genetics and lifestyle come into play.

It's better to be lucky than good.
If you slow aging, then a beneficial side effect is a long life.

If you aren't aging as quickly, you are less likely to die from diseases that affect old people: heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, etc. So one way to prevent these diseases is to slow aging. Then you die from something else like a car accident if you're unlucky, haha.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mr Doof

SurfFuerteventura

Phil Edwards status
Sep 20, 2014
6,301
2,502
113
hulling, mostly...
You know what's great for weight loss?

The old saying Spanish housewives have applied daily, "menos plato, mas zapato!".

Less plate, more shoe!

I know plenty of extreme athletes who eat crappy diets, drink and do drugs... yet somehow, they still perform.

Move, move, move, move.... even if it's walking around the house a few times a day... any movement is better than stagnation.
 

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
57,073
14,628
113
60
Vagina Point
Puts me in beer and blunts mode.
Social drinking triggers the social engagement system.

Don't you notice how you feel better when you have drinks and BS session with good friends?

It's like medicine for me.

When people say any amount of alcohol is bad, they are talking out of their asses.

It's more complicated than that.

The poison is always in the dose (and the context)
 
  • Like
Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
57,073
14,628
113
60
Vagina Point
If you slow aging, then a beneficial side effect is a long life.

If you aren't aging as quickly, you are less likely to die from diseases that affect old people: heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, etc. So one way to prevent these diseases is to slow aging. Then you die from something else like a car accident if you're unlucky, haha.
On way to do it is to go super low calorie.

But that makes life horrible.

To slow aging lift weights.
 

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
57,073
14,628
113
60
Vagina Point
You know what's great for weight loss?

The old saying Spanish housewives have applied daily, "menos plato, mas zapato!".

Less plate, more shoe!

I know plenty of extreme athletes who eat crappy diets, drink and do drugs... yet somehow, they still perform.

Move, move, move, move.... even if it's walking around the house a few times a day... any movement is better than stagnation.
I think that is good advice for maintenance.

But if you are over weight and you need to loose you need to restrict calories.

When you get fat, you turn into a fat storage machine.

I've been that machine.

Those super fat people running around have turned into one of those.