Weight loss is harder than rocket science.

Jul 14, 2021
It would seem that it is very easy to lose weight. It is enough to adhere to a strict diet, actively engage in sports, and the extra pounds will disappear. But this approach to weight loss is not always effective and safe. You can lose excess weight without harm to your health by following the basic rules . Make it a rule to weigh the portion before eating. I was looking for cool scales for this and found the food scale on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Beautiful-Measurement-Stainless-Batteries/dp/B08SW6F5SZ and it helped me lose weight. It is important to properly distribute the energy intensity of the diet during the day: the meal with the highest number of calories should fall during the period of the day with maximum physical activity, when they can be fully used.

Last edited:

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Pretty simple, the human body is designed to go for extended periods of time without food. Hard to break the chain of food addiction in modern society, once you get over that barrier it becomes liberating,
Periodic fasting is a healthy practice. By allowing themselves to get obese, most people realize that more gut allows them to digest more delicious food. People eat for entertainment alone, and build their day around maximizing the fun in their eating adventures. The logic is "the more FUN (sugar, salt, spice, meat, fat, etc) the better." That is stupid from a health and fitness perspective. Think of food like fuel for a car. You want better performance and better mileage. Use the best quality fresh food, natural and simple, not too much fun, for the proper mix of nutrients in the right combinations and quantities. We are how we eat. WAHWE.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I don't think you can deny a genetic component. The equation "eat less /consume more (energy)" doe s not factor in the metabolism rate. I came out on the lucky side of that component. My weight has stayed the same since I was in college and I eat like a pig. I am very active but just know that it could be very different. Now I have to be careful because in spite of a healthy weight, my MD says I'm getting close to pre hyper tension, pre diabetes and high cholesterol. I've cut way back on sweets and eliminated alcohol. He said eventually I would have to take cholesterol meds because even though my cholesterol is not going up, my age is and that is part of the calculation.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I don't think you can deny a genetic component. The equation "eat less /consume more (energy)" doe s not factor in the metabolism rate. I came out on the lucky side of that component. My weight has stayed the same since I was in college and I eat like a pig. I am very active but just know that it could be very different. Now I have to be careful because in spite of a healthy weight, my MD says I'm getting close to pre hyper tension, pre diabetes and high cholesterol. I've cut way back on sweets and eliminated alcohol. He said eventually I would have to take cholesterol meds because even though my cholesterol is not going up, my age is and that is part of the calculation.
Why does how much you weigh matter? You could move to the space station and weigh nothing. Would you be healthier?

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

Metabolism is an excuse lazy fat people and their overweight dr's give them to stay fat, and keep paying for the dr's kids orthodontics snd swimming pool.

Metabolism can be increased/decreased by physical activity, period.

"Slow metabolism" is the same as saying, I'm a fat lazy carp who doesn't want to move.

There's several others... "I'm allergic to my own sweat" "my pores are different, I cannot sweat" and a long long long etc...

Heard them all from the fatty execs I used to take on walking tours for weight loss.

Want to lose weight? Get off your lazy arse and move, period.

Spain has sayings for everything...

"Menos plato, mas zapato"

Gold right there.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I have been counting calories for awhile. Track everything I eat. Made an excel spreadsheet template and its easy to copy and edit and make other tabs with me eating many of the same foods consistently.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
The older I get, the easier it is to gain weight, even at the same level of activity. Very odd. Not that I'm overweight -- anything but -- but I notice that I need to eat much less to maintain my usual weight, which is 155-165 lbs (winter vs summer).

I don't know how someone who was already 50-100 lbs overweight would maintain that weight loss. I'm trying to keep my weight around 160 (vanity! I admit it) but sometimes cravings and overwork get the best of me and I'll put on a few pounds. But again, I could probably gain 20 pounds and still be seen as fit.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The older I get, the easier it is to gain weight, even at the same level of activity. Very odd. Not that I'm overweight -- anything but -- but I notice that I need to eat much less to maintain my usual weight, which is 155-165 lbs (winter vs summer).

I don't know how someone who was already 50-100 lbs overweight would maintain that weight loss. I'm trying to keep my weight around 160 (vanity! I admit it) but sometimes cravings and overwork get the best of me and I'll put on a few pounds. But again, I could probably gain 20 pounds and still be seen as fit.
It's a blessing to spend less income on food.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
It is hard... for some people, for others it is not a problem at all. & it is not simple. If it’s not a problem for someone- it is very hard for that person to get their head rapped around the idea that this may not be true for others; that’s the way we think.
/thread

If it was super easy - then someone like Oprah W- with pretty much limitless resources to do anything she wants- would be able to do it and maintain it. I’m sure there’s plenty of other similar examples.

Diabetes, processed “food”, high fructose corn syrup, etc - these are the common enemies and killers of the people.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
It's a blessing to spend less income on food.
I used to spend at least $60 a week on fast food, convenience store food and take out food for lunch while on the road Monday-Friday. Started packing a little cooler with two hard boiled eggs, a handfull of dried fruit and a bottle of water. Lost 20+ pounds and saved a bunch of money.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I can't keep the weight on me right now, I think a mix of stress, exercising more, drinking less.

But I thought I was down a little, I was down from ~138 to 125 scared the sh!t outta me.