Weight loss is harder than rocket science.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
If you're getting sore knees from running it could be form- the dreaded heel strike. I ran a few marathons and after long 20+ mile runs my knees would always hurt. After the marathons I would be limping. Then I switched to running in sandals and never had a problem again. I've done 6 marathons in sandals.

It takes a while to get used to. Mostly because you work your calves more. They become the shock absorbers because you will be landing on your fore foot. Also, I would get blisters and chafing in the beginning but once I got used to it and my feet toughened up, I have no problems.

The inspiration to run in sandals came from this book that a friend gave me when he heard I was getting sore knees-
View attachment 98126

The author's TED talk-

long distance backpackers are starting to do throughs in sandals

pair with these (outers)...I'm going to try their liners next outing .

I was thinking about trying these since the bedrocks are sold the fk out for 2020

or maybe a middle ground with these:

good combo of light, zero drop, breathable, but will keep the decomposed granite that
we have so much of out of the nooks and crannies.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
long distance backpackers are starting to do throughs in sandals

pair with these (outers)...I'm going to try their liners next outing .

I was thinking about trying these since the bedrocks are sold the fk out for 2020

or maybe a middle ground with these:

good combo of light, zero drop, breathable, but will keep the decomposed granite that
1600864844095.jpeg

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

I actually have the trail gloves for certain situations- like you say gravel sand anything that can get between you foot and sandals. I love those shoes. Got them used at REI for $45.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
that's the kind of review I needed

sandals seems a bit too far for me...we don't have a lot of water crossings
and tons of sandy trails in the west

people do it out here, but I believe that it is most popular in places like the AT
where there's lots of water

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Squeezed in a surf session yesterday morning before work.

Bigger than last time... good but not as good. Also last time was mostly lefts, today was more rights than lefts. Less waves ridden (shorter session and I usually really kick in after 2 hours :/ ) but still felt good. measly cutbacks here and there and more of basics (again, pretty much 3 years without surfing, gotta learn to walk before I can run again). The wonder about surfing during the week with way less crowd still wows me though.

But I'm useless after surfing, that's not good as far as work is concerned.

Woke up at 3am to take a sh!t and get things ready. Left the house at 3:50... 2 hour drive with my buddy to our go to break. paddled out at about 6:15. Left the water at about 8:40. another 2 hour drive back (joined a quick 15 minute call on the way) and I'm toast for the rest of the day. There's gotta be a better way to surf during the week... :(

Maybe cocaine would help? We could drive the night earlier and sleep at my friend's place near the spot so we could wake up just before 6am, but he has 3 kids and needs to wait until his wife comes back from her crazy graveyard shifts at the hospital before he leaves, so that will rarely be an option.

Regarding loss of weight... I was out of weed for 3 weeks (and that's when the magic happened and I lost a whole bunch of weight)...

I got 2 grams with a buddy this Monday and that was enough to barely ruin it! I ate the whole house, sweets be damned! Just out of control munchies. I felt heavier in the water than last time and that was the reason.

I may have to quit smoking weed altogether, it seriously gets in the way. I wish I wasn't so addicted since my teens, would be much easier.

• Sad
Reactions: LifeOnMars

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
it's pretty clear that the entire weight loss industry is a practical joke.

"Get in shape with..."

Anything other than EXCERSIZE you are being loved to.

That said, round IS A SHAPE!

I surf with a few guys that out of the water are seen as rotund, however they are in MUCH BETTER shape physically, cardio, strength, endurance and on every other level than most thinner "in shape" people I know.

The game is won when you ACCEPT YOUR SELF for who you are genetically and work with what you have been given.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
These were my everyday for a couple years when I got myself stuck working retail. I had three different pairs one right after the other so I'm claiming two thumbs up, however if you do in and out saltwater for awhile they will fail faster.

I like the bedrock, but was never the ankle-strap type myself, not in liew flip-flops anyway. They remind me of Summer-local Pennsylvania hiker dudes. No offense but flip-flops make a much better statement IMO.

I worked for a friend who used to point out, when you are wearing flip-flops, you are wearing flip-flops and that sets a tone over everything else you might end up doing. Ultimately you're wearing flip-flops.

As a person who was previously on the pudgy pasty side for awhile, flip-flops wete not the best look for me.

Attachments

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Forgot to update here (kinda like my shared weight loss journal. lol). I managed to run over 5 miles last week. Will go for a run again today, plan to maintain the 5 miles for now instead of trying to go over it.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Ran 5.65 miles today. Knees barely hurt during the run, although it is quite sore now that that I'm "cold" (hopefully it's nothing).

forecast is calling for some pretty fun surf and perfect conditions this Wednesday, if all goes to plan I'm totally going.

like I said before, I'm back baby!

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
So, that 5.65 mile run took a toll on me. Both my knees kept hurting. 2 days later it felt a bit better so I ran just 3 miles... it hurt from the get go, but it was manageable, so I went for the 3miles anyway.

It kept hurting for a few more days after that. Today I don't feel anything so I will try running again. If it starts hurting from the get to I won't even continue and will give it a few more days.

I was really stupid to push, running 5 miles was already quite an accomplishment. Now I'm forced to scale back.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Just came back from a pre-work surf session (you know, the old 2 hour to than 2 hour back little drive).

It's so good when you have zero expectations and then everything lines up!

Swell was dying... southeast turning more East and really losing power. Very high tide at 6am. I did not expect much.

Turns out Guarujá (the city I surf) can do wonders with an east swell. Enough so that even with the high tide there were some very decent head high sets pouring through and opening up. Lefts and rights (surprised since with a east it's mostly lefts). Very mellow crowds.

Something trips me up though and it's been like that for my past few sessions but more so today. At the beginning of the session feels like I'm always a few paddles short and can never get waves. feels like I don't have enough juice to catch the fuckers. Than the session goes on and I eventually catch a few... getting back after a few years I have trouble getting my feet right and end up losing a bunch of waves.

Than after 1:30 hours, totally tired and starting to get the noodle arms I suddenly can catch any wave I want with ease, barely having to paddle. WTF?!

Friend told me it's probably because I adjusted my positioning to catch the waves during the session. I on the other hand firmly believe this is the work of some mystical life form performing some weird juju to throw me off my game just because.

Anywho, did a few cutbacks one of which felt really good really bringing it back (I know, unimpressive. but I'm a kook, these kind of small wins are what I live for).

Most waves were a nice drop and then power is gone, so it was nice that my last one out was pretty walled and a racetrack from the get go! Took off, saw an actual steep section and thought "I'ma gonna hit that sh!t"... it broke before I could actually hit it but I managed to keep going. Then I can see what looks like a tiny barrel forming in front of me so I thought "I'ma gonna tuck in that sh!t"... then I couldn't keep a high line and missed it. I don't give a sh!t, that "nothing"wave felt amazing.

Can't wait for the next swell, feels so good to be addicted to surfing again!

Ps: My knee is still sore so my duckdives were sh!t meaning the paddle outs were extra annoying.

Jun 24, 2020
Indeed it is very hard to lose weight but I still hope to succeed.
In general, since I was a child I had problems with extra pounds and I always felt that people judged me for this.
For this reason, I started thinking that I have to make a radical change in my life and I decided to start sports and healthy eating. I've been doing this for a year now and even if the effects are anyway, it's not everything the way I want it to be.
Due to this fact I think yes I am thinking about starting consuming cardarine and I saw a popular site https://sarmguide.com/cardarine-gw-50156/ where many orders it.
Does anyone have experience in this field? I want opinions and reviews.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: grapedrink

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Indeed it is very hard to lose weight but I still hope to succeed.
In general, since I was a child I had problems with extra pounds and I always felt that people judged me for this.
For this reason, I started thinking that I have to make a radical change in my life and I decided to start sports and healthy eating. I've been doing this for a year now and even if the effects are anyway, it's not everything the way I want it to be.
Due to this fact I think yes I am thinking about starting consuming cardarine and I saw a popular site https://sarmguide.com/cardarine-gw-50156/ where many orders it.
Does anyone have experience in this field? I want opinions and reviews.
What your question?

I'm a knowitall.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I actually gained a bit of weight last week, but have been surfing consistently for the past couple of months.

I had a session yesterday and I could really feel I had more endurance and stamina on my paddles (paddling back out vs losing paddle power + fatigue). Swimming at least a couple days a week sure isn't getting in the way, but I think most of it comes from consistently going out and just surfing.

Jan 26, 2017
Netherlands
So, that 5.65 mile run took a toll on me. Both my knees kept hurting. 2 days later it felt a bit better so I ran just 3 miles... it hurt from the get go, but it was manageable, so I went for the 3miles anyway.

It kept hurting for a few more days after that. Today I don't feel anything so I will try running again. If it starts hurting from the get to I won't even continue and will give it a few more days.

I was really stupid to push, running 5 miles was already quite an accomplishment. Now I'm forced to scale back.
About the hurting knees, obviously footwear has been beaten to death here. Forefoot landing is great if you grew up with it but can lead to a whole new can of worms (I got the worst achilles tendonitis when transitioning... never made it). But muscle tension in both lower and upper legs can be killing. If you want to check if this might (also) be a factor, check out this guys video about sitting on your heels (
) . Although he is working towards sitting on his heels the exercises can help against knee pain... FYI, I had massive knee pain after a basketball session with my son. Hurt for more than 2 weeks. Tried these exercises and I was pain free within a few days. Just saying, YMMV