Weight loss is harder than rocket science.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Decided not to go to jiu jits for now, although I may revisit the decision, which was exercise + mental health. In place of that, restarted the marsoc short card with added skipping rope or running every other morning. Swimming in the Deschutes, against the current/treadmill. Hiking, kayaking, biking. Summer time fun!

Reactions: the janitor

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
4th day in a row at the gym. rana bit more to wrap it up today, already feels much, much easier than it was on Monday. Gut has already shrunk a bit (seems I can no longer use my belly as beer holder)... but like I said, muffin top feels like it's there to stay.

Well... I should probably let my wife worry about me looking disgusting, if I'm back in surfing shape I'll be satisfied.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You're "planning" a trip to Home Depot? Don't forget to pack a mask in your purse.
Thanks for your concern. I have plenty of masks in the car.

"A lot of the elite female weight lifters were gymnasts," said Alwine, a 20-year-old philosophy major at Randolph College in Lynchburg. "You have to have good upper body strength and a strong core. You need these things in weight lifting. I definitely owe all this success to gymnastics.
"Even so, I'm really shocked at how far I've come in such a short time. It kind of blows my mind."
Her coach said such a meteoric rise simply isn't supposed to happen.
"I've been coaching for 20 years and I've never, ever worked with such a talent," said Travis Mash, a three-time world champion power lifter. "I've only been coaching Mere for seven weeks and she's really seeing a lot of progress.
"But it's supposed to take quite a few years to get this good. Not just three."

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Thanks for your concern. I have plenty of masks in the car.

"A lot of the elite female weight lifters were gymnasts," said Alwine, a 20-year-old philosophy major at Randolph College in Lynchburg. "You have to have good upper body strength and a strong core. You need these things in weight lifting. I definitely owe all this success to gymnastics.
"Even so, I'm really shocked at how far I've come in such a short time. It kind of blows my mind."
Her coach said such a meteoric rise simply isn't supposed to happen.
"I've been coaching for 20 years and I've never, ever worked with such a talent," said Travis Mash, a three-time world champion power lifter. "I've only been coaching Mere for seven weeks and she's really seeing a lot of progress.
"But it's supposed to take quite a few years to get this good. Not just three."
What's your point.

Exactly zero of them are doing gymnastics in preparation for weightlifting competitions.

I would take strength and training advice from a philosophy major named Alwine from a dogshit school no one has ever heard of like I would take advice from skully on where to find pants with a greater than 24 inch inseam.

Some things that the greatest olympic lifters ever have done includes things shitting in diapers. Is shitting your pants going to make you stronger?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
What's your point.

Exactly zero of them are doing gymnastics in preparation for weightlifting competitions.

I would take strength and training advice from a philosophy major named Alwine from a dogshit school no one has ever heard of like I would take advice from skully on where to find pants with a greater than 24 inch inseam.

Some things that the greatest olympic lifters ever have done includes things shitting in diapers. Is shitting your pants going to make you stronger?
Gymanstics could be GPP squared, or at least a component of it. This hearkens back to the Russian conjugate sequence system:
Simplified, this multilateral approach consists of the utilization of many different methods by many different means in order to foster and develop the young sportsman’s adaptation level. The rationale underlying this system was as the pre-adolescent athlete developed a well-rounded athletic base rooted in general physical preparation (GPP); his overall motor potential would correspondingly rise. Over time, this stimulus would trigger a response of adaptation, so that the demanding training loads that eventually occur during specialized physical preparation (SPP) would not distress the body. This direct relation between the central nervous system (CNS) and physical training plays a paramount role in the athlete’s adaptation to the stimulus because new training loads create new coordination’s. This neurological supercompensation forms the basis for the developing motor skills and perfects the cooperation among the various systems of the body including the athlete’s metabolic mechanisms. As the young sportsman matures and attains higher stages in the PASM, the foundation of all subsequent motor systems evolves from the solid establishment of GPP, thus the concurrent system (9).
There are a lot of ways to do things.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
What's your point.

“gymnasts are the best athletes in the world, they can do movements that nobody else can do”
George St Pierre
His coach Firas Zahabi seems to share this admiration and respect:
“If you take 10 athletes from 10 different sports and you make each athlete plays everyone else his sport, on average the guy who is going to do the best in all the sports is the gymnast”

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
“gymnasts are the best athletes in the world, they can do movements that nobody else can do”
George St Pierre
His coach Faris Zahabi seems to share this admiration and respect:
“If you take 10 athletes from 10 different sports and you make each athlete plays everyone else his sport, on average the guy who is going to do the best in all the sports is the gymnast”

Let's be clear that we're not going to send grandma a gym ring training program though.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
whatz injury rate of gymnasts vs CrossFit vs powerlifting?
Real gymnasts get hurt a lot. Learning gymnastics, especially the rings you get hurt once by listening to your ego. After that, having hopefully learned humility you stick to the proper progressions and don’t overtrain and it never happens again.

I made a point of asking Max Shank about Crossfit at the kb cert I did with him. His answer “high skill movements should not be done for conditioning”. Crossfit BBs have specific forums dedicated solely to injuries. https://www.google.com/search?q=crossfit+injury+forum&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#ip=1
The CrossFit “athletes” you see on TV don’t train CrossFit, they just compete in it.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Waiting for a comeback saying it's called a satchel. lol
It’s actually a beat up Marmot backpack lol. Throw all my sh!t in before I leave the house.

Been thinking about your quest to get in shape(which is rad) along with the title of this thread.
So this one’s for you, Brukuns. If you have somewhere to do it, I have for you what I like to call a Field Of Dreams workout(if you do it, it will work). 20 mins. 1:4 work/rest ratio(the golden ratio imo). 20 seconds work, 1min20sec rest x 12 rounds. 4-? days week for 8 weeks. You know it’s a legit workout when scary looking Slav dudes are doing it outside their apartment building.

One for the gym at your building. Little different in that the timer is still 20 minutes but the goal is as many sets of 5 quality reps of each exercise/move they do.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
It’s actually a beat up Marmot backpack lol. Throw all my sh!t in before I leave the house.

Been thinking about your quest to get in shape(which is rad) along with the title of this thread.
So this one’s for you, Brukuns. If you have somewhere to do it, I have for you what I like to call a Field Of Dreams workout(if you do it, it will work). 20 mins. 1:4 work/rest ratio(the golden ratio imo). 20 seconds work, 1min20sec rest x 12 rounds. 4-? days week for 8 weeks. You know it’s a legit workout when scary looking Slav dudes are doing it outside their apartment building.

One for the gym at your building. Little different in that the timer is still 20 minutes but the goal is as many sets of 5 quality reps of each exercise/move they do.

The exercises on the second video are interesting! It seems to target muscles that you use in surfing, I'll try!

The first one... I don't have a sledgehammer nor tires (nor room for any of it). And I don't have the required coordination to jump rope, still practicing to walk and chew gum simultaneously, getting better at it every year.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
The exercises on the second video are interesting! It seems to target muscles that you use in surfing, I'll try!

The first one... I don't have a sledgehammer nor tires (nor room for any of it). And I don't have the required coordination to jump rope, still practicing to walk and chew gum simultaneously, getting better at it every year.
Those are muscles you use in surfing, life, and beating the crap out of people(the guy in the video is Croatian MMA fighter training to be a Cop). Along with Field of Dreams, another movie based workout/exercise criteria I use is Fight Club.

A lot of them are full body/compound exercises. Focus on triple extension, hinging/bending at the hips, and core bracing(like you’re preparing to get punched in the gut) where appropriate.

The “why” behind as many quality sets of 5 reps per exercise in 20 minutes: it’s called Escalating Density Training and it was “invented” by Charles Staley

“Motivation: When you do an EDT workout, you know when it'll start, but more importantly, you know precisely when it will END. Also, you know exactly what you need to do in that time period. In other words, you have an explicit goal – a definite purpose, and a well-defined time frame for accomplishing your goal. You have to experience this in order to fully appreciate how easily it is to get "up" for EDT workouts.
  • Auto-Regulation: Forget about sets and reps. Forget about rest intervals. Forget about time under tension. I'm totally serious – all of these parameters distract you from the essential truth – that you need to do more work this time than you did last time. It literally took me over 20 years of studying these factors to realize that they don't matter. So take out your training log, see how many total repetitions you did during your last workout for the same muscle groups, start the stopwatch, and beat that number. That's all. If you do this every workout, you'll grow. And if you don't you won't. Any questions?

• Clarity of Progression: EDT workouts don't allow you to hide from the essential truth of training – progression. You may think you were abiding by the law of progressive overload before, but with EDT, you KNOW you are.“ Charles Staley

Jumping rope is worth doing/learning. There’s a reason fighters do it. It’s not as hard as you think. In addition to being gnarly conditioning, it’s excellent for developing timing and hand/foot coordination. Again 20 sec work, 1:20 rest x 12 rounds. For now something fun to play with learning on your “rest” days(active recovery), later it’s own workout on a separate day.

This one’s a lot of fun/decent substitute for jumping rope.

Last edited:
Reactions: brukuns

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Jumping rope was so easy and second nature as a kid. Went to a boxing gym in February and we started off with the ropes to warm up, and I just could not freaking do it. I lost patience after 2 minutes, and we were moving on to punching stuff, but I’d like to think that given a few more minutes of earnest effort, it would soon become natural again like 4th grade. I assumed it would be like riding a bike, just a basic attheltic skill that once you learn you never forget. Nope. Couldn't time the skip for sh!t. And I’m a pretty athletic 41 year old. humbling.

Reactions: Chocki