Weight loss is harder than rocket science.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm not going to look for everything Mike Boyle, JC Santana, Alwyn Cosgrove said regarding it. My fallback position is that you getting what they said wrong because as I will describe in the next paragraph, you have no idea what you're taking about....but if they advocate it, they are wrong.
How are you defining it? You said it was BS, implying anyone advocating it is wrong.

Did you not want to put in the effort to find older articles? It's well known that when Barbell Medicine was started about three years ago or so there was some hurt feelings to bad blood between the two organizations. Such is life. The two organizations do not participate with each other publicly AT ALL. While personal relationships remain, professionally the two organizations are diametrically opposed in how they program. Failed gotchas are my favorites.
I figured this happened, so it's not a 'failed gotcha.' Rip and Pendlay parted, Rip and Crossfit parted, Rip and the 70sBig guys parted, Rip and the Barbell Medicine guys parted. A lot of experts do marketing by beefing with other experts, often after using each other's platforms to get the publicity they need. The industry as a whole is filled with dogmatic people unaware of their blindspots who are prone to beefing. The Barbell Medicine guys definitely wrote for SS. Don't blow smoke up our asses.

Mental preparation is important...I said that....but it's not a strength driver. Being prepared mentally is the same for power lifting, gymnastics, or any other activity.
That's not what I'm talking about.

Your represent the dogmatism and outdated cartesian/biomedical view of strength and conditioning. Caveat emptor.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
How are you defining it? You said it was BS, implying anyone advocating it is wrong.

I figured this happened, so it's not a 'failed gotcha.' Rip and Pendlay parted, Rip and Crossfit parted, Rip and the 70sBig guys parted, Rip and the Barbell Medicine guys parted. A lot of experts do marketing by beefing with other experts, often after using each other's platforms to get the publicity they need. The industry as a whole is filled with dogmatic people unaware of their blindspots who are prone to beefing. The Barbell Medicine guys definitely wrote for SS. Don't blow smoke up our asses.

That's not what I'm talking about.

Your represent the dogmatism and outdated cartesian/biomedical view of strength and conditioning. Caveat emptor.
Would you like it better if I started every post with "Brand New Guaranteed" and something about "lose weight and increase your strength ten fold".

Have fun with Youtube fitness. You'll still be searching in ten years.

Reactions: Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Would you like it better if I started every post with "Brand New Guaranteed" and something about "lose weight and increase your strength ten fold".

Have fun with Youtube fitness. You'll still be searching in ten years.
These Barbell Medicine guys launch a service 3 years ago and consequently the light has finally dawned on the strength and conditioning world, is located only at Barbell Medicine and you have all the answers because you follow these guys, huh? Your understanding of strength and conditioning was non-existent before 2017?

"You didn't do the Texas Method"
"Strength and bodyweight are not relative"
"The Westside guys are kooks"
Did you actually read Practical Programming?

For the record, I think these Barbell Medicine guys are worth listening to. Feigenbaum is brutally strong (relative to his bodyweight of 198). I'm not sure their advice is relevant to the goal of the average trainee, but if you want a big power lifting total they're definitely one option among many.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
If you like motocross/supercross, Alex Martin, "Troll Train" has a really good blog on Youtube.

The behinds the scenes of the sport.

I just watched a vid he posted of a Covid practice session at a private track down in Florida with Kenny Roxen.

Alex weighed in before the practice at 141 lbs. Two 30 minute practice motos in 90 degree heat. Weighed out afterwards at 136 lbs. 5 lbs weight loss in 60 minutes. That is burly. His heat rate monitor was in the red zone for the entire 60 minutes. You could see the downtime drop between motos.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
ITwo 30 minute practice motos in 90 degree heat. Weighed out afterwards at 136 lbs. 5 lbs weight loss in 60 minutes. That is burly. His heat rate monitor was in the red zone for the entire 60 minutes. You could see the downtime drop between motos.
Mostly water weight.

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Anyone would sweat like crazy in those conditions. Probably burned a fair amount of calories, but 5 pounds worth would defy thermodynamics.

Either way it's badass AF.
Knarly.

They put AMart on the digital scale before 1st practice. Documented it. 30 minute practice moto, against some other big name factory riders. Then his break. He freakin rehydrated, ate a bunch of protein bars, cooled off. He had a heart rate monitor on. Redlined for 30 minutes and then dropped to couch potato. Then he went out and did another 30 minute moto at race level with other pro team members. Heartrate redlined again for 30 minutes.

After it was all done. Including the break, rehydration, calory intake. 5 lbs lost.

It was really good.

TrollTrain on Youtube. AMart and JMart, his brother. They look like those plastic trolls you can buy except for short hair.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
So much of this stuff is neural adaption.
Yall ever know someone with good genes?
My friend I used to surf with had a grandfather who played NFL back in the 50-60s
He and all his brothers were always in great shape with seemingly minimal workout.
It was mental

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I've lost many kilos just by swapping my sugar loaded tea with sugar-free lemonade :)
My tea drinking was out of control and I used about 1kg of sugar in my cups each week. Now I am getting back to being SlimJim the Johnny Twotimes of the night!

Reactions: crustBrother

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
being doing all bodyweight,/pull up bar stuff for a couple months.
I know I am losing overall strength but I feel great and my core is strong as fuck.

sounds like I need to get some free weights and bar , dont think gyms are opening anytime soon.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Here are some other good bodyweight options:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
being doing all bodyweight,/pull up bar stuff for a couple months.
I know I am losing overall strength but I feel great and my core is strong as fook.

sounds like I need to get some free weights and bar , dont think gyms are opening anytime soon.
There’s only so far you can go with standard body weight stuff. That’s what got me interested in gymnastics, the additional skill(and strength) requirements along with the progressions, variations, and the ability to string moves into routines/“flow”.

I’ve got a trip to Home Despot planned, ima have to make me some PVC parallettes(again). While my ring pull ups are progressing nicely I’ve got some work to do before attempting dips on them. I could do that work through the push up, etc progressions bu then I thought why not do that work on the parallettes while learning to do some cool sh!t.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
There’s only so far you can go with standard body weight stuff. That’s what got me interested in gymnastics, the additional skill(and strength) requirements along with the progressions, variations, and the ability to string moves into routines/“flow”.

I’ve got a trip to Home Despot planned, ima have to make me some PVC parallettes(again). While my ring pull ups are progressing nicely I’ve got some work to do before attempting dips on them. I could do that work through the push up, etc progressions bu then I thought why not do that work on the parallettes while learning to do some cool sh!t.
You're "planning" a trip to Home Depot? Don't forget to pack a mask in your purse.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I think modular dumbells are pretty essential to home training:
as are bands and tubing (pink and Orange JC Predator bands are a good start)
I have the IronMaster dumbells. They're great but slow to change weights.

A barbell and rack are great but $$$

Edti: Minimal equipment programs.

Last edited: