WEEN

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I never got into them. But if I remember correctly my sister had one of their albums with some a+ underboob on the cover. Underboob needs to make a comeback.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Saw them in concert many years ago at SBC Bowl. I dunno - it wasn't like they were bad. Just seemed kinda flat but their sound guy headbanging way harder than the music deserved was comical enough to be well worth price of admission. :jamon:

Keeping it surfing related...

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
90's band with a cult following. 2 kids from Pensultucky who meet in HS. You either get them or you don't..... I really dig em, but understand why others might not. Total underachievers. Kind of nerd rock, comedy, weirdo, druggy, music spanning every genre many they spoof. Surfer dudes may have been turned on to them via Vecco films in the late 90s. Woolcott, Eckert, or someone got them. Many bands have imitated or covered them like Phish who brought a whole new fan base to the table for better or worse. Deen Ween is an underrated guitar player in guitar rock circles IMO. Have enjoyed their material and live shows over the years, which are good and typically sell out around here. Last show I saw was in Bend, the 20th anniversary of the Mollusk which they played from start to finish. Was a ripper.

This podcast is worth a listen, even if you don't like them.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7GbavDpAyAgqK16WjFfTG3?si=ooT1A6DWTFiGpKOvznG34A

Remember the Jane Pratt show :ROFLMAO: Their stoned out of their minds.

Last edited:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I love Ween. They must have a blast doing what the do and playing whatever genre they feel like.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Dug the Barney part in Drive Thru California where he was surfing some beachbreak in Humboldt or Del Norte to Exactly Where I'm At from White Pepper. Perfect band and tune for his personality and surfing as well as location.

White Pepper is a pretty pedestrian rock album a lot of peps liked that weren't total weeners.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I put ween in the same category as Mothers of Invention, They Might Be Giants, and Bad Brains

I know these people are musically talented and their music is a critical part of canon, but I have not been able to really lock in to it with the same enthusiasm of their core fans

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Loved the first album, the grit and DIY/lo-fi sound. Basically they wanted to be the Butthole Surfers (and have admitted as much. My ex-GF found a recorded cassette tape of the album the ground in Sonora, CA, of all places. Such a great record. Second record was pretty good too, have not really ventured into later releases.

Have seen them twice, once at a Lollapalooza in the 90s, and the other at the Graduate (or whatever it became) in Isla Vista. Was underwhelmed by both performances.