SUP Nation
Highlights:Mountain views, Switchbacks
Difficulty:Category 2
RT Mileage:12.2 miles
Elevation Gain:1,404 feet
Max Elevation:10,027 feet
Average Grade:4%
Steepest Grade:10% - 12% sustained

Lets be clear, its a motorized vehicle not a bicycle. I hauled ass up this beast in Colorado. Wear a helmet. The time you save processing the ABC's because you wore a helmet when you crashed is time you could be sipping a coldie.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I had a few conflicts with people on ebikes this summer.

All of them were flying along on the coast highway on the wrong side of the street.

Fvck that one up and a helmet isn't going to save you. Head on into an Adventure Van going 45 mph.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
On the street where I work (a "Main" street, one lane either way, traffic lights, stores and auto repair shops) there's occasional E scooters and bikes. The street is like a gradual curve - Kind of weird - I haven't totally figured out exactly why they surprise me - they're kind of stealthy and arrive suddenly, at speed but not in mid-road where a car would be, which, because its a curve maybe hides them for longer than if the road was straight. They do come fast and quiet and there is zero bicycle traffic here so I guess my brain just isn't trained to look for them. When I'm getting into my car one will just appear. It's like my brain is somehow trained to automatically evaluate this kind of street a certain way and these things are violating those laws.

In Manhattan the bike lanes they have put in scare me a bit as a pedestrian because I realize that I don't have built in evaluation for them in my brain yet and really don't go there enough for it to develop so I have to really think when crossing those lanes on foot.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Seeing more and more ebikes on First Street. So far, IDGAF.

I still see a fair bit of riding on the sidewalk where it's called for. Places there's no pedestrians and no bike lane and you're asking to be killed. Reminder Florida kills considerably more cyclists than California with fewer people. But I don't see Lancer-speed behavior on the sidewalks; the cyclists are barely going faster than pedestrians on them when I do see it. I do this myself rather than ride on the road on Penman. Watch the driveways like a hawk; yield to pedestrians. Beats wasting people's time or getting myself killed riding in the street.

Of late the thing that pisses me off is the golf cart going 20 in a 30/35 and never pulling over to let cars by, in a place that's slap full of police where the illegal overtake might get you pulled. Same with the scooter that can barely go 25 and they ride it up and down A1A causing a rolling mini-jam. Ride that sh!t on 1st or 10th, jagoff.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
if a dude with dreads gets brain damage, does anyone actually notice?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1 . ^ That is a "worse" type of incident. More than concussion.

2. Rode an E-MTB up in Stehekin on mix of gravel and ok pavement and thought, "Whew, this is addictive." Stacks of effortless fun carting groceries and whatnot about, and after the hiking, was nice to roll home with little to no effort for most of the way.

3. Sweetie-pie owns E-citybike and allows me to barely keep up her on rides to the shore or to Twin Peaks or GG Bridge. If there were no hills for me to zoom down, I'd never keep up....except for that time the battery ran out and then I had to pedal that f*cker up the hill and nearly coughed up a liver-pancreas, and set of lungs.

4. I despise the people who use e-bikes race ahead to red lights, then stop, and meanwhile if you just time the lights, it is the glorious steady state 12-15 mph cadence and no stopping for multiple blocks. But because there is the lump of stopped e-bikes, my flow is checked and will screw up the rest of the intersections for me. Figure it out knuckleheads! By the way, this used to be people on any bike who would ride fast then stop, but e-bikes have made this thing worse.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I always wear a helmet when riding my bike. it's rare for me to fall, but it will always take you by surprise. Fell bad a few years ago, helmet definitely helped matters. It saved my dad a few months ago too.
I can honestly say that without a helmet, I would have either been dead or severely disfigured and brain damaged.

Once, I seat bounced (unintentionally, because it was after a full day's messing around on jumps in freezing conditions and on an empty stomach... brain switched off) over a 25 to 30 footer (doesn;t look as big ion the pic) and starfish fell flat on the frozen ground, hit my face flat on the surface and got knocked out cold.

Limped away with a clavicular dislocation and a bill for a new helmet only.
p6pb7688549.jpg

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I can honestly say that without a helmet, I would have either been dead or severely disfigured and brain damaged.

Once, I seat bounced (unintentionally, because it was after a full day's messing around on jumps in freezing conditions and on an empty stomach... brain switched off) over a 25 to 30 footer (doesn;t look as big ion the pic) and starfish fell flat on the frozen ground, hit my face flat on the surface and got knocked out cold.

Limped away with a clavicular dislocation and a bill for a new helmet only.
View attachment 117932
How was the seat up your bumm factor?

Inquiring minds want to know.

:roflmao::shrug::roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: waxfoot

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The most dangerous mode of transportation is that of the pedestrian.
:(
What is the Boulevard of Death?

For decades, Queens Boulevard has held this moniker due to the high number of vehicle-related deaths that have occurred. Between 1990 and 2017, at least 186 people, mainly pedestrians, have died in collisions on this infamous stretch of road. Jul 19, 2021

On the street where I work (a "Main" street, one lane either way, traffic lights, stores and auto repair shops) there's occasional E scooters and bikes. The street is like a gradual curve - Kind of weird - I haven't totally figured out exactly why they surprise me - they're kind of stealthy and arrive suddenly, at speed but not in mid-road where a car would be, which, because its a curve maybe hides them for longer than if the road was straight. They do come fast and quiet and there is zero bicycle traffic here so I guess my brain just isn't trained to look for them. When I'm getting into my car one will just appear. It's like my brain is somehow trained to automatically evaluate this kind of street a certain way and these things are violating those laws.

In Manhattan the bike lanes they have put in scare me a bit as a pedestrian because I realize that I don't have built in evaluation for them in my brain yet and really don't go there enough for it to develop so I have to really think when crossing those lanes on foot.
I'm in the city all the time now again, and I'm still not even CLOSE to habitually looking for oncoming cyclists in all those new bike lanes

Reactions: PJ

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
another thing to note is w a real moto dangerous as they are, its loud, you usually know how fast you are going, i feel like it is so easy on the electric stuff to be quietly zipping up to 30 mph and not even realizing.
Rode one of those scooters recently and was fine, but I was thinking a lot of uncoordinated tourists are going to eat sh!t on these... went 2x as fast as I expected

Reactions: Aruka

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I went to Bermuda when I was like 6. Scooters are the dominant mode of transport on the island. Mom and dad drove me and sis around the island on a rented pair of them for 2 weeks. At the airport boarding our flight home, we saw a guy in a wheel chair covered in road rash, casts and bandages and a neck brace. The clincher? He was wearing a t shirt that said “I survived a Bermuda scooter crash, and all I got was this stupid t shirt”

swear to Cthulhu, not a joke

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
I went to Bermuda when I was like 6. Scooters are the dominant mode of transport on the island. Mom and dad drove me and sis around the island on a rented pair of them for 2 weeks. At the airport boarding our flight home, we saw a guy in a wheel chair covered in road rash, casts and bandages and a neck brace. The clincher? He was wearing a t shirt that said “I survived a Bermuda scooter crash, and all I got was this stupid t shirt”

swear to Cthulhu, not a joke
I went to Bermuda once and was genuinely surprised at the number of people who said "you're going to Bermuda? Don't get in a scooter crash!"

apparently that's the thing to do in Bermuda.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I went to Bermuda once and was genuinely surprised at the number of people who said "you're going to Bermuda? Don't get in a scooter crash!"

apparently that's the thing to do in Bermuda.
That and penny loafers, knee socks, and navy blazers with rep ties :socrazy:
I love Anglo history as much as the next guy, but come on