Wear a Helmet !

Aug 5, 2021
As an avid cyclist I am not a fan of those e-bikes. People who haven't been on a bike in years, or decades, get on and slam the throttle down having no idea of the dangers. Going down at even 20 MPH can cause serious injuries.
I've hit 45 MPH on my Cervelo and it's pretty darn scary, especially on 23 mm wheels, the smallest pothole or bump in the road will send you flying. I remember reading that cycling is the number one sport for concussions.

Even worse than those things are the gas powered scooters - I see guys flying down the road at 25-30 MPH and im thinking to my self, it's only a matter of time.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Horrible event. Geez, I hope all of you die and someone is infantile enough to call you stupid.

Actually, more love. I hope you only get paralyzed surfing and listen to all the 'why you so stupid?' in the hospital.

Saw a few older couples on them int he neighborhood, thought not long before one takes a header. People don't have the necessary experience with judging speed and distance.

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
Just a matter of time where you'll need a special permit and bike registration to drive an e bike. Typical nanny state.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My mom actually got one of these fat tire e-bikes a few years ago. She rides it down my parents mile long gravel driveway and then along a quiet, paved back road to town to work on nice days. She's athletic and has always ridden a mountain bike on the gravel roads around her house as long as I can remember. Still, after I test rode the thing I went and bought her a helmet and some good gloves and made her promise to wear them. If I thought I could convince her to wear full faced helmet and moto gear I would. I've crashed my moto, mtb and downhill skate enough to know how fcked up you can get at 30 mph.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Just a matter of time where you'll need a special permit and bike registration to drive an e bike. Typical nanny state.
Every other vehicle of similar type has license and registration requirements.

The e-bike shouldn't be an exception.

That is, unless the requirements for mopeds, 125 and 50cc scooters (if I'm not mistaken FDOT requires a governor on those that restricts them to around 30mph) etc are lifted as well.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
And staying on the e-bike topic,

E-mountainbikes are absolutely destroying the steep sections of some area trails since everyone who couldn't ride uphill is now riding uphill making a bunch of loose sand and dirt.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Every other vehicle of similar type has license and registration requirements.

The e-bike shouldn't be an exception.

That is, unless the requirements for mopeds, 125 and 50cc scooters (if I'm not mistaken FDOT requires a governor on those that restricts them to around 30mph) etc are lifted as well.
I wish you'd give this a rest. We get it - you don't like them. I personally think they're dumb. But you sound like a meddlesome ninny complaining about this. The increase in ebike accidents is from nothing to something, but it's not a problem worth worrying about. Also, what're they going to do, set the cops on busting unregistered ebike riders? BLACK LIVE MATTER, OKAY? This is mostly a way for dum-dums to weed themselves from the gene pool.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Come to doho and you'll die.

That trail can get crowded, even in non-ohana fest days. Just takes a temporary lack of focus and you're running into the curb onto the rocks. Add in a little alcohol and it's not hard to imagine this happening. Tragic for the surviving ohana.

I see kids zipping around on streets, crossing traffic to get into left turn lanes around here. Many no helmets. Helmets suck. Who needs a brain? My body, my choice.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I wish you'd give this a rest. We get it - you don't like them. I personally think they're dumb. But you sound like a meddlesome ninny complaining about this. The increase in ebike accidents is from nothing to something, but it's not a problem worth worrying about. Also, what're they going to do, set the cops on busting unregistered ebike riders? BLACK LIVE MATTER, OKAY? This is mostly a way for dum-dums to weed themselves from the gene pool.
Consider that maybe I'm actually not worried about e-bike accidents.

I do want them off trails where they are destructive and I do not like how some trails are being modified for e-bikes. That sh!t needs to stop.

And of course the Trestles thing.

The more negative press the better.

Last edited:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
Electric Bicycles

An electric bicycle is a bicycle equipped with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts. Three classes of electric bicycles have been established:

• Class 1: A low speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle equipped with a motor which provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and ceases to provide assistance when a speed of 20 mph is reached.
  • Class 2: A low speed throttle-assisted electric bicycle equipped with a motor used exclusively to propel the bicycle and NOT capable of providing assistance when a speed of 20 mph is reached.
  • Class 3: A low speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle equipped with a speedometer, and a motor which provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and ceases to provide assistance when a speed of 28 mph is reached.

The operator of a Class 3 electric bicycle:

• Must be 16 years old or older.
  • Must wear a bicycle safety helmet.
  • Must not transport passengers.
  • May ride an electric bicycle in a bicycle lane if authorized by local authority or ordinance.

All electric bicycle classes are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, DL, and license plate requirements (CVC §24016).

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Fuck that, you can't tell me what to do with my body. I'll never wear a helmet. There are studies that show that helmets can kill you or cause asphyxiation in 0.013 of the population.

My brain has natural immunity and a built in helmet called a skull - duh.

erythrtfyhr.jpg

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
fook that, you can't tell me what to do with my body. I'll never wear a helmet. There are studies that show that helmets can kill you or cause asphyxiation in 0.013 of the population.

My brain has natural immunity and a built in helmet called a skull - duh.

View attachment 117872
if i had a head like that i'd grow more hair and spike it
or be a hat guy

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I always wear a helmet when riding my bike. it's rare for me to fall, but it will always take you by surprise. Fell bad a few years ago, helmet definitely helped matters. It saved my dad a few months ago too.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I wear a helmet at all times to encourage everyone to do the right thing and wear a helmet. Also, your helmet doesn't work unless I'm wearing mine.