Wear a Helmet !

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I just tried an eBike last weekend for the first time. Gotta say its pretty damned fun ripping around my beach town tourist trap on one but I just know its not a matter of IF but rather WHEN something bad would happen. Streets are too tight and visibility at intersections not good enough to be ripping around at 30mph. Fun as hell though. I'll stick with my peddle power Jamis Earth Cruiser.

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
I just tried an eBike last weekend for the first time. Gotta say its pretty damned fun ripping around my beach town tourist trap on one but I just know its not a matter of IF but rather WHEN something bad would happen. Streets are too tight and visibility at intersections not good enough to be ripping around at 30mph. Fun as hell though. I'll stick with my peddle power Jamis Earth Cruiser.

My grandpa grew up with motorcycles and still rides today as an 81 year old. Like you just said, He would always say its not if but when you crash growing up when my brother and I were on our toys. He's been proven right multiple times with my brother and I.

The same thing applies here, the difference is people don't respect these the same way and you can drive them anywhere it seems and no one will say anything.

More deaths to come for sure.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
she had to have been distracted to run into a curb

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I've started seeing weekenders from the big city bringing theirs down to the beach with them, our "causeway" bridges are historically bicycle
free for safety mainly but that eggs about to crack and drivers need to take note that where there was never a cyclist, e+biker now there will be. The way traffic backs up seasonally thems parts bout ripe for the pickin'. Sorry about the shugga-show.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My grandpa grew up with motorcycles and still rides today as an 81 year old. Like you just said, He would always say its not if but when you crash growing up when my brother and I were on our toys. He's been proven right multiple times with my brother and I.

The same thing applies here, the difference is people don't respect these the same way and you can drive them anywhere it seems and no one will say anything.

More deaths to come for sure.
Well put.

No respect for the machine - "It's not a motorcycle - those things are dangerous!"

The (pre-crash) adage "It's just a scooter, it can't even go more than 30mph" comes to mind. I know more people who have been seriously hurt on scooters than any other motorized vehicle, period. Head injuries, multiple teeth knocked out, broken backs, arms, wrists, feet etc.

It's pretty puzzling to me that in the state of CA where everything is overregulated to the point the governor signs a bill requiring toy stores have a "gender neutral" section...that there is zero regulation of e-bikes.

No licensing, registration, etc yet you have to have a motorcyle endorsement to ride a 50cc scooter.

The sign at Lower Trestles says "NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES" accompanied by a sign that says "CLASS 1 E-BIKES ONLY"...is an e-bike NOT a motorized vehicle?

This video breaks down the problem with e-bike riders using a bunch of real life examples.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
It's pretty puzzling to me that in the state of CA where everything is overregulated to the point the governor signs a bill requiring toy stores have a "gender neutral" section...that there is zero regulation of e-bikes.

No licensing, registration, etc yet you have to have a motorcyle endorsement to ride a 50cc scooter.
Its because of the "e" in front of the name. Gotta start calling other things "e" or "eco".

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
A lot of adults become complete uncoordinated morans when they get on 2 wheels.
You really loose your motor control if you don't use it.

Have you tried throwing a ball lately?

I started doing the carver in the back alley and was so dorked out but in a couple of days it all came back to me.

I need to get my skills back because my friend and I are going to build a carver wave bank. :waving:

My neighbor got an e-bike and ate sh!t. He's older than I. He hasn't used since. I tried to hint for him to give it to me.

I notice they will come up on your fast and have near collisions. They would never come up that fast on a bike.

I imagine the carnage of that collision and shudder.

--Grandpa Auto out!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You really loose your motor control if you don't use it.
I think for adults there is also a lack of common sense, unfamiliarity with needing to use all senses(dummies riding bikes with headphones too), and a lot of inflexible thinking.

For instance, a lot of adults hate cyclists or think "riding in the street is too dangerous".

So they decide they're going to ride their bike on the sidewalk.

Which is way more dangerous because NOBODY CAN FVCKING SEE YOU, DUMMY.

Not to mention you're weaving in and out of pedestrian traffic.

I was in Solana Beach the other day and some 20-something female is trying to ride through a corridor of pedestrian traffic between some sidewalk dining.

Whenever I see this I don't move out of the way - they can get fvcked.

She ended up in pinned halfway into a planter :roflmao: .

For older males there is also an "I got this" element which is really them vastly overestimating their abilities.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

If it has pedals it’s classified as a bicycle.

Back in the day when mopeds were a thing it was the same.

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If it has pedals it’s classified as a bicycle.
False.

If it has pedals but no motor it's a bicycle.

If it has pedals and a motor it's classified as a motorized bicycle, which falls under a different section of the vehicle code, must be registered, have insurance, and requires a DL motorcycle endorsement.

Cops used to relentlessly harass people who put those weak little gas powered motors on their bikes because they almost always had no DL and no registration and no insurance. Easy citations x3 and that's why you rarely see them any more.

Then there are electric bicycles.

A different category according to the DMV:

All electric bicycle classes are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, DL, and license plate requirements (CVC §24016).

(https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/motorcycle-handbook/two-wheel-vehicle-operation/)

• Dislike
Reactions: Havoc