Wax Removal

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The range of water temps we get here in NJ is from 33* in a colder than normal winter to 82* on an above normal summer. We change our wax with the seasons here.
The range of water temp in SF seems like 50-58 year round. So there's not much need.

When I did remove wax, I typically scraped it off when it's getting soft, then rub sand on what's left with my hand or a towel.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I don't know. I think the WD40 with a hairdryer is probably a solid second?

Especially on a cold day.

I've always wondered how well this stuff works...

Waxless Surfboard Traction Kits Surf Wax Alternative VersaTraction
Hate to admit I've wondered about that stuff in particular (Versa Traction). Heard it works well, but tears skin apart if you don't have a suit on. I love the idea of not having to worry about wax, but then again there's a certain 'zen' in the act of applying wax and thinking about what's coming. It's part of the surfing experience.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Hate to admit I've wondered about that stuff in particular (Versa Traction). Heard it works well, but tears skin apart if you don't have a suit on. I love the idea of not having to worry about wax, but then again there's a certain 'zen' in the act of applying wax and thinking about what's coming. It's part of the surfing experience.
For me it's the smell of surf wax.

It never fails to get my nether regions tingling with anticipation.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Have you ever seen anyone using it in person?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I've tried Versa.

It's no less of a pain in the ass than wax.

Every 10 surfs (or so) your front foot starts slipping on it. To get it to retain traction, you need to scrub it with some Comet and a scrub brush. This is more often than I scrape wax off a board.

But Versa's biggest flaw is its lack of tackiness. This means if you're wearing a wetsuit without smoothskin the board slides around under your chest while paddling. Smoothskin eliminates this problem. I don't remember trunking it with it.

Jun 7, 2024
Word. The northeast has radical temp changes.

That round shaped wax removal tool with the little handle is legit. Used it to take all my winter wax off my board when I went to Nicaragua recently. Much better than a wax comb or credit card. It should be $5 rather than $15 but it works.

One of the shop managers at Hansen's in Encinitas was saying that the round shaped wax removal tool is so sharp around the edge that it pushes into the fiberglass and can puncture it if not careful. That, and apparently the forward edge of the plastic blade flings old wax everywhere making a big mess. I also heard that wax accumulates on the underside as well.

This is the best I've found (Surfy Surfy approved): https://waxbuddy.com/

• Haha
Reactions: Goofy_Footed

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
One of the shop managers at Hansen's in Encinitas was saying that the round shaped wax removal tool is so sharp around the edge that it pushes into the fiberglass and can puncture it if not careful. That, and apparently the forward edge of the plastic blade flings old wax everywhere making a big mess. I also heard that wax accumulates on the underside as well.

Hi Ron DiMauro.

Reactions: santacruzin

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Bbq lighter fluid works like a charm. Use rubbing alcohol to remove lighter fluid residue.

Not recommended for Dark Arts.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory

Knew you were trying to sell us some sh!t.... GTFO!!!! :roflmao:

Jun 7, 2024
It is. First post is spamming some garbage piece of plastic AND “wax” is in your user name. Pretty SUS
Whatever. Believe what you want. I like technical products and materials and can share what I've found to work (or doesn't work) just like everyone else here.