Waterproof Pouch for Car Key

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
OFD21 said:
I have a 2012 Camry. It has the unlock on approach. The trunk will only open if I have the FOB and I push the button on the trunk. I don't have a tow hitch. I'm not sure where I'd put the lock box. I do have the little key that pops out of the FOB. Is that the valet key? I know replacement FOB's are super pricey.
Yeah, that's the valet key. It sounds exactly like the Prius key; I take the valet in all the time and leave the fob in the back.

When I drive my wife's car, I just put the lock box (carefully) over the door handle.

Your door handle looks like it would work, but why bother when you can take the valet key with you?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I just tried using the valet key to lock the car with the fob inside. . It disabled the fob and the doors wouldn't unlock. If i locked the doors with the power locks with the fob inside the fob wasnt disabled. Good to know. .

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Ok my Prius key doesn’t work anymore. Tried graphite. Any other ideas?

need to start bringing a combo lock.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Ok my Prius key doesn’t work anymore. Tried graphite. Any other ideas?

need to start bringing a combo lock.
Did you squeeze graphite powder into ignition as well? If graphite no go time to get new key made.

Jul 18, 2018
My solve was to get a copy made of the valet key. My locksmith had a key that was normal sized so it fits in my leash or wetsuit without any trouble. The other piece to the puzzle was to keep a metal can with a lid (coffee can works well) in the car. I put the smart key in the can, lock up and then unlock with the valet key. Works like a charm.

Reactions: rts265

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Get a lock box and one of them new fangled radio wave stopping pouches. An alternative route is to use a valet key, you can be cheap and wrap a small container in aluminum foil to keep the normal key from transmitting while being locked inside.

Reactions: rowjimmytour