Watching the Olympics? What's been the biggest surprise / let down?

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
2021 Olympics in a Nutshell:

American "Non-Binary" skateboarder riding in the women's category. Rolls the entire coarse for their run and then proceeds to blow an ollie down an eight stair for best trick. :toilet:

We as a country couldn't find another rider with a better skill set? Hell, I could spend half a day at the Encinitas skatepark and pull half a dozen ladies (and probably even a dude who identifies as a female) who could have skated better than this person. Apparently we as a country view the Olympics as a cultural/political statement now, not about physical or athletic excellence. :shrug:

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Have not seen any sailing. As much as I like racing it's not really a spectator sport.

I went for a sail in a full-race Finn once, it was a pretty difficult little boat.
The America's Cup with the short course and amazing speeds was a great spectator sport.

Would love to see the the 49er skiffs if it's blowing...

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Surfing Finals day was pretty cool and they broadcast the paddle out which should become mandatory.

Let downs... a surfing contest just isn't the same with no UBB sightings.

Reactions: waxfoot

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
How is this whole shlt show worth the effort it takes to put on? Relegate the whole idea to history and let the sports that are actually sports have their own world class competitions, like the already do.
And you can miss me with that bullshlt about someone quitting being "brave". Whole world gone too soft to say "wuuuuuss!" like we should have.
You good bro?

• Haha
Reactions: waxfoot

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Surfing Finals day was pretty cool and they broadcast the paddle out which should become mandatory.

Let downs... a surfing contest just isn't the same with no UBB sightings.
Also, surfing for third place, as mentioned in basically all the surf podcasts since, should be a thing. Kinda silly that in our sport we get "equal 3rd, equal 5th" etc.

• Wow
Reactions: brukuns

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The womens BMX champ with backflip 360!

She was on Tall Order BMX for a while. I don't have a BMX but I like to watch Tall Order on Yotube. She quit them, probably because they were a bit too stupid for someone with Olympic ambitions :)

Here she is from a few years back :)

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Woman's triple jump. Let's just say the camera was very close as they rolled over in the sand pit.
Men's hammer throw was pretty cool.
High jumpers had to keep waiting, because of runners on the track. LOL I fell asleep.

Bartiparo

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 4, 2012
That's the Olympics? Good gawd!!!!!!
last winter Olmpyics Elizabeth Swaney scam her way into half pipe woman ski.

Born in US but represent Hungary. Work in Silicon Valley for startup and has money. Buy her way into olympics.

:foreheadslap:

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Skateboarding was incredibly weak; the Bones Brigade could have swept the medals without difficulty.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
last winter Olmpyics Elizabeth Swaney scam her way into half pipe woman ski.

Born in US but represent Hungary. Work in Silicon Valley for startup and has money. Buy her way into olympics.

:foreheadslap:

This one is weird - imagine hacking your way into the olympics, as a seemingly intelligent person, in order to...ugh - look terrible? What's the point of being known as the worst and most least deserving olympic skiier ?