Watch out! Cyclist coming through

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Are you thinking tire width is the root of the knee pain because I am exerting more force to rolling and air-resistance and not due to me exerting the same force as always over a longer distance (which for this 50+ mile distance is about 5x more than my usual bike ride and 2x more than my usual "long" ride)?

That is what I am getting from your earlier comment: Paying for those 43mm tires.

For certain, when it comes to gear/sports (or gear/life), everything is a compromise....which is why I probably need to more slowly increase my distance, give my parts more time to get 'fit'.
I'm just saying that 50mi on a bike that runs 43mm tires is a lot of work for anyone who doesn't do a lot of endurance riding. 50mi on a race bike is noticeably less effort, like 40mi on a gravel or touring bike. You get the extra comfort on a bike like that but you pay for those extra watts with legs that feel more sore at the end.

Reactions: Mr Doof

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
^The talk I'm hearing is that the women's field has a massive spectrum of talent with a lot of riders who have limited experience and very limited handling skill.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
so i've been talking with my uncle for the past year about buying this from him but last week he went ahead and *gave* it to me and said "think of me when you ride it"

so stoked! no way i could have paid him what it was worth and the gifting takes the bike's juju to the next level in my mind.

1660441763891.png

its been sitting for 15 years so i started off with new tires, tubes, rim strips, and repacking hubs and bottom bracket

took for a spin around the block and good lord i can't believe i used to do 100 miles/day in the fucked-up-bent-over posture that these bikes force you into

new gooseneck, bars, and pedals ASAP!!!

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
I would love the opportunity to do a thorough tune up on a bike like that and then a 50ish mile ride. I was recently riding on one of Merckx's favorite training roads and thinking about what the gear was like that those guys were using and how it affected their speed.

Reactions: crustBrother

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Does the thread title make anyone laugh more now than 2016 when it was written?

Watch out! Cyclist coming through

with the content, best thread title evah...!!! :roflmao:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I don’t know if this pic belongs on the e-bike thread, this thread, the cos-play/furry thread, or maybe the Covid thread given this dude is wearing a mask outside on his Sunday morning ride of shame (or glory)
33A4F97A-0F09-4B0B-B8DD-05C165981594.jpeg

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC