Watch out! Cyclist coming through

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

But that isn't a 3-D printed carbon frame bicycle that is made in the US of A that is custom fit to the individual buyer..with "over 500,000" possible sizes/configurations to meet the individual's needs.

You can always get the non-electric version for less.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

View attachment 94426
MEAT ME TO MY PHASE....I'll come up and visit my auntie and we can go over some mountains

skully has covid and possibly aids now so I need someone new to ride with

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
MEAT ME TO MY PHASE....I'll come up and visit my auntie and we can go over some mountains

skully has covid and possibly aids now so I need someone new to ride with
these are the hills I ride broseph! Test results come back soon

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
My 8 year old Canfield one has a 64 1/2 headtube and 440 reach
I agree with what he said about beach cruisers, IMO it’s like how snowboarding eventually came full circle back to where they started (K2 Bean = Burton Perfomer). I disagree about reach however. At 5’10” I wouldn’t dream of riding a bike shorter than 450mm. I’d love to try something crazy long someday like the Pole Taival’s 480mm reach Med. Sometimes when pedaling my bikes they feel a little small but then when it’s time to party/drop the seat it feels like the bike disappears.

Last edited:

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
465-470 is the perfect reach for me at 6'1.5". Long enough for DH stability and comfortable climbing but short enough to fit around tight turns and feel playful. This is a size large from most brands and is one step longer than what I rode (445-450) from 1992-2017. I've tried 490ish reaches and while they have their moments it just feels too long much of the time. An interesting note is that most manufacturers recommend someone my height should be on these 490ish XL frames. They're wrong unless that rider really needs the help with stability.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I've been getting into riding again lately on my trusty old Cannonsnail M300, which I love, but I'm thinking it would be fun to get a late 70's 26" Schwinn Varsity (larger version of what I had when I was a kid) and put some ape hangers on it for doing the 14 mile, 1000' descent down the bike path by the creek near my house.

Like this but without the fenders, basket, and reflectors.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I agree with what he said about beach cruisers, IMO it’s like how snowboarding eventually came full circle back to where they started (K2 Bean = Burton Perfomer). I disagree about reach however. At 5’10” I wouldn’t dream of riding a bike shorter than 450mm. I’d love to try something crazy long someday like the Pole Taival’s 480mm reach Med. Sometimes when pedaling my bikes they feel a little small but then when it’s time to party/drop the seat it feels like the bike disappears.
From the article:
The result is that a motocross rider has far more of their weight supported through their feet and far less through their hands when compared to a mountain bike rider. Why is this? Especially when mountain bikes generally have far less suspension travel and I certainly find it much easier to absorb shocks from the trail through my legs rather than through my arms. At least part of the reason must come down to a desire to adopt an efficient pedalling position. But unless you’re racing cross-country, how much should this be allowed to trump good handling?
Why not just bend your knees and sink your heels to load the back axle?

Does anyone have shin pad recommendations? I've slammed my shins a couple of times practicing stuff the past couple of months and they need a break.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
From the article:

Why not just bend your knees and sink your heels to load the back axle?

Does anyone have shin pad recommendations? I've slammed my shins a couple of times practicing stuff the past couple of months and they need a break.
I’m no expert but I only load up the back axle if I’m trying to manual, wheelie, or if I need to decrease the radius of a turn in a hurry.

Simon was my favorite coach before Rich Drew. Simon’s started putting out new content again. Soccer shinguards or 5.10 Freeriders and/or better pedals?

Last edited:
Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I’m no expert but I only load up the back axle if I’m trying to manual, wheelie, or if I need to decrease the radius of a turn in a hurry.
I think he's saying the same thing. Think of a front squat: knees forward of your ankles (1:01). In this position, dropping your heels puts the weight on the rear axle while giving you tons of room to compensate for terrain. In a manual, you're doing the same thing except you're shifting your whole body further back to compensate for the weight of the raised front tire. The heels remain sunk and the knees bent.

I think a lot of these technique coaches don't know how to explain what they're actually doing or what's important. They do know how to do it though.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I think he's saying the same thing. Think of a front squat: knees forward of your ankles (1:01). In this position, dropping your heels puts the weight on the rear axle while giving you tons of room to compensate for terrain. In a manual, you're doing the same thing except you're shifting your whole body further back to compensate for the weight of the raised front tire. The heels remain sunk and the knees bent.

I think a lot of these technique coaches don't know how to explain what they're actually doing or what's important. They do know how to do it though.
There’s no better coach in mtb than Simon right now. I am not alone in this opinion:
hardtailpartyMTB • 70d
“Simon is the man. He's the #1 mtb coach in my book.“
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwDvZTTIQ6Qz-xfZ-QXXuSw
Simon’s last video he specifically addresses why not to drop your heels while turning/the importance of weighting the front wheel.

Last edited:

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge

View attachment 94426
that looks like a fun climb (when it isn't blazing hot)

Reactions: rice

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
what's the consensus here on ebike riders? I get it for people that are injured or older, if that helps them get out there then I'm all for it. Kinda makes sense for those utility bikes I see where parents pile a couple of kids and groceries onto some weird hybrid extendo frame. But for normal healthy people?

I was recently driving through one of the small towns up here, turning onto a residential street that is a bike thoroughfare. I came to a complete stop, went to turn onto the street, then dude (guessing over 50) on a very new looking ebike blows through his stop sign doing about 20-25 mph, sees me coming halfway through the intersection and startles himself. I braked, so he didn't eat the car and no we're both headed in the same direction down the road. Dude then pulls out into the middle of the road and slows down a bit so that he can let me know who is in charge. As we approach the next stop sign I pull around him (we're going well under 20 mph at this point) and he starts screaming about how I need to stay 3 feet away from him, notices that my windows are open and tries to spit into the passenger window. I was more than 3 feet away so it didn't make it in the window and hit the back. Then he simultaneously blows through that stop sign while swearing a blue streak at me. Weird move for a guy with a pretty distinctive ebike in a small town. I think we're going to be great friends.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I don't like ebikes on the strand path because they go over the speed limit and ride
reckless

I really like the point someone made earlier....it's not like (most) ebike riders were
super proficient on a bicycle at normal speeds and then upgraded....like SUPers,
these are carpet bagging kooks that can do serious damage if unchecked.

if I rode MTB I'd probably hate them even more

is nothing sacred?

the point of doing some of the things I like to do is to get as far away as possible
from lazydumbs....but these people just keep putting motors on things

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
I don't like ebikes on the strand path because they go over the speed limit and ride
reckless

I really like the point someone made earlier....it's not like (most) ebike riders were
super proficient on a bicycle at normal speeds and then upgraded....like SUPers,
these are carpet bagging kooks that can do serious damage if unchecked.

if I rode MTB I'd probably hate them even more

is nothing sacred?

the point of doing some of the things I like to do is to get as far away as possible
from lazydumbs....but these people just keep putting motors on things
Rather than type my feelings about ebikes it's easier to just quote this.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
There’s no better coach in mtb than Simon right now. I am not alone in this opinion:
hardtailpartyMTB • 70d
“Simon is the man. He's the #1 mtb coach in my book.“
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwDvZTTIQ6Qz-xfZ-QXXuSw
Simon’s last video he specifically addresses why not to drop your heels while turning/the importance of weighting the front wheel.
I tried his advice last night and I don't think I'd do it again. Weighting the front bars more means getting over the bars more. It feels like you're going over the bars if you do this, and you might if you hit anything. Instead, I tried again staying upright in a front-squat position with my heels dropping as I exited the turn like I'm pumping over a bump. Throughout the entire turn, I'm feeling slight backward pressure on the handlebars. This works a lot better. If your front fork feels squirrelly, pull outward on the handlebars. There are sponsored riders and retired pros on here so maybe they can give their opinion.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I tried his advice last night and I don't think I'd do it again. Weighting the front bars more means getting over the bars more. It feels like you're going over the bars if you do this, and you might if you hit anything. Instead, I tried again staying upright in a front-squat position with my heels dropping as I exited the turn like I'm pumping over a bump. Throughout the entire turn, I'm feeling slight backward pressure on the handlebars. This works a lot better. If your front fork feels squirrelly, pull outward on the handlebars. There are sponsored riders and retired pros on here so maybe they can give their opinion.
I was told long ago by the best rider in my circle of friends to weight your outside pedal and inside grip in a turn. This has always worked for me.