Watch out! Cyclist coming through

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Okay, I can offer my expertise on MTB fashion. :poop:

First, decide what type are you, based on the bike and terrain you're riding.

Wannabe Enduro Racer (150mm+ of travel)
Moderately baggy, modern materials, knee pads - even though nobody ever scraped their knees mountain biking. Shin guards optional. Clipped shoes, because you can't bunnyhop.
Kook move: elbow pads.
For extra sickness: no gloves, "I just want to feel connected to my bike, bro"
View attachment 94307

Casual Trail Ripper
Style: You want to dress like you don't really care about mountain biking.
Attitude: Mountain biking is just something you do when you're bored.
Accesoraries: Skate helmet, jeans, knee pads under jeans because you have like, so many BMX injuries.
Flat pedals. One elbow guard because you slammed so hard in that gnarly bowl that one time and now you have pins. NO GLOVES, because you're extra sicc.
View attachment 94309

Hardtail Dirtjump Bro
See above, but you care even less because you shred so hard.

I Just Want To Ride, man.
You don't care if you look like a goon, you just want to ride, man.
Style: Amazon (sort by price - low to high)
View attachment 94310

Dirt Lancer
General: You want to go fast for many miles and set KOMs on Strava, then #humblebrag on Insta.
Attitude: Jock
Lycra, Lycra, Carbon, Lycra, Carbon

View attachment 94311

There's more but I wasted too much time on this already. :poop:
This was epic!

Thank you. :jamon:

Reactions: plasticbertrand

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
@Ifallalot This is really helpful too:

I try to be "Hardtail DIrt Jump Bro" in @plasticbertrand's taxonomy. It's going better than some; worse than others. I don't spend a lot of money on bikes though.

Anyone tried the 2021 Fox Transfer? The guy at the bike store said it's better than the KS dropper.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

I try to be "Hardtail DIrt Jump Bro" in @plasticbertrand's taxonomy. It's going better than some; worse than others. I don't spend a lot of money on bikes though.

Anyone tried the 2021 Fox Transfer? The guy at the bike store said it's better than the KS dropper.
Saved! Thank you

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Best dropper evar. I have it on both of my MTBs (2019)

Simple and most importantly cable actuated.

Whatever you do, do not buy a Reverb. It sucks donkey balls.

SRAM is just sucky in general but Reverb is especially bad because they unnecessarily over engineered it.
It always feels soggy and sticky because of the hydraulic actuation and bleeding the fluid is a pain in the ass.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina

They're supposed to be good but I ride for 9point8 (a different seatpost maker). I have the unused Transfer that came with my new bike that I'll sell for wholesale. PM if interested.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

I identify as Enduro Bro I guess lol. I plan on racing eventually.
I agree on the not spending a lot of money on bikes, especially when for $2,700 you can get a rad/EWS capable bike. My FS is an aluminum Nukeproof Mega 27.5 but if I did it again?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I identify as Enduro Bro I guess lol. I plan on racing eventually.
I agree on the not spending a lot of money on bikes, especially when for $2,700 you can get a rad/EWS capable bike. My FS is an aluminum Nukeproof Mega 27.5 but if I did it again?
That seems like a really good value. There are guys dropping as much as a used car on bikes. Is it really the bike or the rider that makes the difference?

Rich Drew as well

Grade 5 A/C separation wow. Learning some judo ukemi is a really good idea.
Have you SEEN the overwhleming majority of cyclists?!
Why are these lancers so entitled?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
That seems like a really good value. There are guys dropping as much as a used car on bikes. Is it really the bike or the rider that makes the difference?
That’s a bummer about Rich Drew, he puts out rad content. I’m thinking this vid had something to do with it

There’s others at that price point that are just as good, anything more expensive is just lighter/has “nicer” parts and is more expensive. The key is geometry/fit. My numbers at 5’10” average build are 64.5deg “Slack” hta, 450mm reach, with 430mm chain stays.

As far as archer vs arrow? It’s kind of the arrow at least when it comes to dh speed. Triplets, equal skill: brother on FS Enduro beats brother on FS Trail beats brother on Hardtail. A FS Enduro is capable of going so fast it’s scary. I’ve nicknamed mine the Valkyrie because if I’m not careful it will take me to Valhalla. It’s going to take years to even come close to unlocking it’s full potential.

That said Hardtail will 100% make you a better rider/easier to learn wheelies, manuals, and bunny hops than a FS. They do kind of beat you up though so I can see why anyone over 40 might not want to go there. I put Cushcore in my tires and it made a big difference in dampening, traction and speed.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Can you do an air reverse on a 9' Wavestorm?

Whoa if true.

It's the archer, right?
There are definitely SWaP trade-offs in surfing that no one argues. I guess I'm talking about the rider with intermediate or average skills on average terrain, not the difference for a pro-enduro rider on pro-level terrain. The guy down the street was always swapping bike parts on his $7.5k FS to dry to get faster downhill but he couldn't bunny hop the sections needed to improve times. In fact, he had almost no technical skills: couldn't manual, bunny hope, ledge, etc. I would beat other guys on FS by a lot on the same sections (meaning: waiting for over two minutes at the bottom). Certain stuff I obviously can't do as well or at all on a hard tail, but that's not what most of us ride.

I guess here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
There are definitely SWaP trade-offs in surfing that no one argues. I guess I'm talking about the rider with intermediate or average skills on average terrain, not the difference for a pro-enduro rider on pro-level terrain. The guy down the street was always swapping bike parts on his $7.5k FS to dry to get faster downhill but he couldn't bunny hop the sections needed to improve times. In fact, he had almost no technical skills: couldn't manual, bunny hope, ledge, etc. I would beat other guys on FS by a lot on the same sections (meaning: waiting for over two minutes at the bottom). Certain stuff I obviously can't do as well or at all on a hard tail, but that's not what most of us ride.

I guess here's an example of what I'm talking about:
I love that video. This is not the first time I’ve declared that that kid is one of my spirit animals. Perfect example of how skills pay the bills but if you put him on a better bike he’d be gone/even faster. I’d have left him mine, along with my helmet and probably almost everything else mtb related I’d brought down.

The guy down the street sounds like a tool. Seats, grips, and dropper levers are all I’ve changed on my two bikes.

I’m kind of obsessed myself with getting technically good at mt biking. Somewhere I read about the pitfalls of trying to ride harder stuff too soon vs getting to where you’re able to wheelie out of turns, manual rollers, bunny hop roots, etc/use all the features on the easy trails. Sounded to me like that was also then the key to having as much fun as possible (especially at my age).

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I love that video. This is not the first time I’ve declared that that kid is one of my spirit animals. Perfect example of how skills pay the bills but if you put him on a better bike he’d be gone/even faster. I’d have left him mine, along with my helmet and probably almost everything else mtb related I’d brought down.
Yes. I'd say I'm one of these guys that values simplicity and am always impressed with people who do more with less such as Russian engineers.

I’m kind of obsessed myself with getting technically good at mt biking. Somewhere I read about the pitfalls of trying to ride harder stuff too soon vs getting to where you’re able to wheelie out of turns, manual rollers, bunny hop roots, etc/use all the features on the easy trails. Sounded to me like that was also then the key to having as much fun as possible (especially at my age).
Same. I think there are definite pitfalls to buying a FS bike with tons of travel and relying on the suspension to pull you out of stuff, which is what I see a lot of. Seems like the suspension bails you out until it doesn't and then you could have a bad crash.

Last edited: