Watch out! Cyclist coming through

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Eye Pro. Gloves. Relatively tight hiking shorts so they won’t get snagged on the seat. Any tech fabric shirt works. I like long sleeves so this time of year I’m alternating between a Patagucci tropical hoody or a super light weight, neon yellow/green $20 motocross jersey if I’m going somewhere with a lot of hikers/other riders. I’m rocking the best helmet money can buy imo (Bell Super Air? Spherical MIPS) because I’m dumb enough already along with knee/elbow pads every ride because at 50 I’m doing stupid sh!t like learning how to wheelie, manual, and bunny hop while trail riding.

Finally, real flat pedal shoes (5.10 Freerider) are so worth it.
Yeah, @Ifallalot just get the home depot gloves and eye protection. You can find a polyester shirt on Amazon for tenbux. I have a bmx helmet.

If you're going to get airborne pads are not a bad idea.

Reactions: Ifallalot

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Thanks. Yeah, I used 1.88" gorilla tape. It must've been the tires. I think I'm just going to try to find a used tubeless wheelset on Pinkbike and put Stan's in the inner tubes for now. Really, I just don't want to have to change a lot of flats like I did on my bike before I went tubeless.
Do the rims already have a flat section for the beads to sit on? My son's new bike didn't claim ust rims, but they are. Bought him a set of Schwalbes and the first one sealed in 2 min w/ Stan's; the second one took a million times w/ the cheap Amazon sealant.

Shoes: bought my son some 510s but I think Vans would work just as well for way less $. I ride in my Adidas trail running shoes bc they lock in my flat pedals, but still have traction if I need to hike a bike.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Do the rims already have a flat section for the beads to sit on? My son's new bike didn't claim ust rims, but they are. Bought him a set of Schwalbes and the first one sealed in 2 min w/ Stan's; the second one took a million times w/ the cheap Amazon sealant.
I thought they did. The looked like the conventional rims in the @Chocki's link. I have tubeless tires on the conventional rims that came with my 2014 Taro and it works just fine.

Shoes: bought my son some 510s but I think Vans would work just as well for way less $. I ride in my Adidas trail running shoes bc they lock in my flat pedals, but still have traction if I need to hike a bike.
The 510s have a stiffer sole which feels way better than the Van's on platform pedals. Your feet get way less tired with them. Whatever works and feels secure is fine though.

Reactions: jkb and ghostshaper

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Thanks. Yeah, I used 1.88" gorilla tape. It must've been the tires. I think I'm just going to try to find a used tubeless wheelset on Pinkbike and put Stan's in the inner tubes for now. Really, I just don't want to have to change a lot of flats like I did on my bike before I went tubeless.
Some tires even tubeless ready are just putos when it comes to getting them to seat. I take the wheels to a gas station and use their compressor with an adapter. I’d try some tubeless tires before I bought wheels. I’d carry a patch kit before I put sealant in tubes my self.

Schwalbe Nobby Nics would be perfect for a kids bike. You gotta really want to lean the bike over to get the most out of Minions lol. I was using my Vasque approach shoes (best shoes ever) until it was buy another pair because they were eventually gonna get destroyed so I just got Freeriders. They didn’t lock in that much better but the stiff sole makes a surprising difference.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
S

Some tires are just motherfuckers when it comes to getting them to seat. I’d try some tubeless tires before I bought wheels.
You think I just get the Minions? Yeah the bead on the sucky WTBs seemed stuck in the center of the rim. I couldn't tell if I didn't have enough air pressure in my ghetto air compressor or if the bead was just stuck on the rim. Guys have used compressors made out of soda bottles to seat tubeless tires so I'm blaming the tires.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I too am curious about mountain bike fashion.

What do I wear?

I don't want to be the spring suit and booties guy out on the trails.

This is my gayest post to date, btw and I'm ok with that.
Okay, I can offer my expertise on MTB fashion. :poop:

First, decide what type are you, based on the bike and terrain you're riding.

Wannabe Enduro Racer (150mm+ of travel)
Moderately baggy, modern materials, knee pads - even though nobody ever scraped their knees mountain biking. Shin guards optional. Clipped shoes, because you can't bunnyhop.
Kook move: elbow pads.
For extra sickness: no gloves, "I just want to feel connected to my bike, bro"
1594496772849.png

Casual Trail Ripper
Style: You want to dress like you don't really care about mountain biking.
Attitude: Mountain biking is just something you do when you're bored.
Accesoraries: Skate helmet, jeans, knee pads under jeans because you have like, so many BMX injuries.
Flat pedals. One elbow guard because you slammed so hard in that gnarly bowl that one time and now you have pins. NO GLOVES, because you're extra sicc.
Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 12.57.50 PM.png

Hardtail Dirtjump Bro
See above, but you care even less because you shred so hard.

I Just Want To Ride, man.
You don't care if you look like a goon, you just want to ride, man.
Style: Amazon (sort by price - low to high)
1594497796262.png

Dirt Lancer
General: You want to go fast for many miles and set KOMs on Strava, then #humblebrag on Insta.
Attitude: Jock
Lycra, Lycra, Carbon, Lycra, Carbon

1594498399498.png

There's more but I wasted too much time on this already. :poop:

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You think I just get the Minions? Yeah the bead on the sucky WTBs seemed stuck in the center of the rim. I couldn't tell if I didn't have enough air pressure in my ghetto air compressor or if the bead was just stuck on the rim. Guys have used compressors made out of soda bottles to seat tubeless tires so I'm blaming the tires.
Minions might not always be the right tire but they’re never the wrong one. DHF x2 is supposed to be legit. Getting the bead on both sides as close to where it’s supposed to seat on the rim as you can helps for sure. I’ve got a tire that I could’ve seated with a balloon and have been riding without sealant in it. Another wouldn’t seat until I took it to Wawa and used their digital compressor on the flat tire setting.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Any one here a multi year state champion ?
What a weird and specific question.

l got one good ride in at the trails this summer before jacking my knee up surfing the very next day. The new trails they cut in last fall are all settled in now and so fun! Can't wait to get back out there. Shouldn't be long. I think the knee is almost ready.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Minions might not always be the right tire but they’re never the wrong one. DHF x2 is supposed to be legit. Getting the bead on both sides as close to where it’s supposed to seat on the rim as you can helps for sure.
What's the trick to that?
I’ve got a tire that I could’ve seated with a balloon and have been riding without sealant in it. Another wouldn’t seat until I took it to Wawa and used their digital compressor on the flat tire setting.
I guess I'm looking for the tires that seat the easiest. Worse comes to worse I'll just take it to the gas station.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
What's the trick to that?

I guess I'm looking for the tires that seat the easiest. Worse comes to worse I'll just take it to the gas station.
Swedish massage. With the tire vertical I put the fingers of both hands along the center of the tire and squeeze while rolling my wrists forward. Alway the way around. Both sides. Right before I aired it up I did it agin real quick then set the tire vertical and rolled it once or twice while pushing down on it. You can also do it with both thumbs, pushing down and rolling your wrists towards each other. Different technique same concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
I too am curious about mountain bike fashion.

What do I wear?

I don't want to be the spring suit and booties guy out on the trails.

This is my gayest post to date, btw and I'm ok with that.
Old board shorts and T-shirt for short rides that you definitely won't crash on. For long rides and better crash durability, MTB shorts with chamois undershorts and 3/4 or long sleeve MTB jersey. Solid, subdued colors are available so you don't have to look like you're pretending to be a racer.

Oh, and since we're getting gay and fashiony, match helmet and glove color for bonus points.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Old board shorts and T-shirt for short rides that you definitely won't crash on. For long rides and better crash durability, MTB shorts with chamois undershorts and 3/4 or long sleeve MTB jersey. Solid, subdued colors are available so you don't have to look like you're pretending to be a racer.

Oh, and since we're getting gay and fashiony, match helmet and glove color for bonus points.
I love the guys who color match EVERYTHING.