Watch out! Cyclist coming through

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
that's fkn hot

can someone explain the geometrical benefit of the top tube angled
downward as in the bike above as opposed to more horizontal?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

Always liked Evil bikes and would be keen to give it a shot. But its angles look to me like it wants to be more mountain bike/dirt jumper than road/gravel. Prob good fun but I'm not sure what kinda mileage I'd want to put on that thing. I love the whole gravel trend but things seem to be going full circle. Soon flat bars and bar ends will be back in style and we'll all be riding low travel hardtails.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
I checked out the Canyon stuff - looks like the cheapest bike is $1,999.

Is that basically what the entry level pricepoint is?

Kinda tough entry point for something I've never done.
Yeah, if you want a non-walmart type bike.

Canyon is basically selling you a $3k bike for $2k.

The question is, do you find cycling valuable.

If not, just get a Wavestorm bike like a kook.

Last edited:

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
that's fkn hot

can someone explain the geometrical benefit of the top tube angled
downward as in the bike above as opposed to more horizontal?
Smaller frame triangle and shorter chainstays stiffen the frame, which means the force from the pedals will be transfered directly to the rear wheel without sapping the energy along the way, like a flexy steel frame would (tho some people like that).

The other thing is lower center of gravity.

Also, it's lighter since less material is used.

I never understood why early MTBs had flat top tubes or even sloping the opposite way.
Probably because of the weakened seatpost/collar.

Kona started sloping top tubes in the 90's and I really like that aesthetic. It's the norm now in MTB geometry but the gravel segment is still roadie oriented, even though road bikes are following the same trend.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I checked out the Canyon stuff - looks like the cheapest bike is $1,999.

Is that basically what the entry level pricepoint is?

Kinda tough entry point for something I've never done.
If you can find a good shop I'd recommend demoing some bikes before you drop a bunch of coin. It will also give you a better idea of what type of bike you'll want for your local trails and what size, etc. Oftentimes shops will apply what you've spent on demos towards a new bike if you decide to buy from them as well.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
That is one of the ugliest bikes ever built.

But probably one of the most functional and fun, as well.
Sloping top tubes normally look good on bikes but there's something really aesthetically odd with this one.

Maybe the proportions and the steep seat tube combined with the stupendously long seat post.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Sloping top tubes normally look good on bikes but there's something really aesthetically odd with this one.

Maybe the proportions and the steep seat tube combined with the stupendously long seat post.

I think it's the raked out fork and the long wheelbase that make it look odd. Like a dirt jumper masquerading as a road bike. 2-3 degrees less would make it look better. But I know evil enough to assume it works.