Watch out! Cyclist coming through

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
Sharkbiscuit said:
Cyclist in the video is a boss.

(1)UCLA team...is this 5:30 on a Sunday morning, or 7:45 on a Tuesday morning?

(2)One sounds completely reasonable, the other is just laughably inconsiderate to literally thousands of people. You're wasting ten seconds in Jax Beach blowing a stop sign when we all know you're blowing the stop sign. Having a rolling spandex donkey parade on PCH on a weekday morning...

(3)K_uno is legally allowed to SUP your peak, upload his waves caught data and GoPro footage, real time, and spam your local shop's instagram with the specifics. Roy Stewart is legally allowed (NZ parking infractions notwithstanding) to fly himself and his olo to Oahu, and torch Kala Alexander on a First Reef double up.

(4)I'm legally allowed to wait for a wedding to start on the sand here in Jax Beach, and start tossing a dozen orders of large fries in the air so thousands of dollars of clothing and the fashionable evening are ruined by a seagull shart carpet bombing.
1/2) see "retarded" comment about others adjusting their lives to fit your schedule.
3)on Roy's end, that's assault with a weapon of mass destruction. On the other hand, the guy wears an orange wetsuit and a space helmet so he can kind of do whatever the fvck he wants. This ones debatable.
4)I'm pretty sure that qualifies as littering, just because it's food waste doesn't mean it's ok to throw all over the place. Seagulls are spiteful mother fvckers man, don't mess with them.

Sharkbiscuit said:
bigtuna said:
bird. said:
They are legally allowed to be there. You just have to deal with it. Maybe leave a few minutes earlier.
I find I'm happiest when I give myself 10-15 minutes minimum allowance on showing up before work. When I get into ruts where I'm barely making it in on time that whole 30 minutes before work I'm like rushing and already stressed because of it. And you don't wanna go into work stressed, it's only gonna get worse there.
Who cares if they're on time for work or not?

It doesn't matter to me if someone driving like a dying Granny in the passing lane makes me five minutes late instead of on time, or 25 minutes early instead of a half hour early.

That's five minutes, utterly wasted, by someone else being incompetent/inconsiderate.
according to bird they are allowed to be there, and as far as I know cyclists are not only allowed but forced by law to ride on the road and take up an entire lane if they choose to. If there are fifty of them it would be much safer to take up an entire lane than to make a line fifty riders long. If they're breaking the law like you say, then they are in the wrong...and this whole discussion wouldn't be here would it?

And I never can remember who's on what side with regards to whatever arguments around here. thanks for being pro cyclist rights in the past? :cheers:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
bigtuna said:
Sharkbiscuit said:

(2)One sounds completely reasonable, the other is just laughably inconsiderate to literally thousands of people. You're wasting ten seconds in Jax Beach blowing a stop sign when we all know you're blowing the stop sign. Having a rolling spandex donkey parade on PCH on a weekday morning...
1/2) see "retarded" comment about others adjusting their lives to fit your schedule.
:roflmao:

Yeah, if you don't see anything inconsiderate or self-absorbed about a recreational bike team using PCH en masse during rush hour...

If you phrase it as "others", like the UCLA bike team is "society" performing some essential duty, and "your", singular, like I'm some sort of misanthrope Grinch alone up on Mount Crumpet, esoterically going to work on a weekday morning...

"Society" hates group Lancers' fucking guts, full stop. "Society" is trying to drive to work on PCH, not group-Lance-impede "society" on its way to pay 10.5% state income tax to help subsidize UCLA.

LA Times said:
In 1982, Caltrans predicted that by the year 2000, more than 50,000 cars a day would use some parts of PCH between Civic Center Way and Sunset Boulevard. Traffic has already overtaken the forecast, reaching 53,000 cars a day just south of Topanga Canyon Boulevard in 1985.
"I found that if you're backed up two miles on Topanga, it takes you 18 minutes to get through the light and onto PCH. What I'm trying to figure out is, how in the world can people put up with this, do it every day?"
That's almost 30 years ago. 1987 LAT: http://articles.latimes.com/1987-07-20/local/me-3077_1_pacific-coast-highway

Super bonus "drive where you live", Northers for GWS:

"And now all those people from Ventura County and the West Valley are looking for a way to trim their driving time, and an awful lot of them are picking PCH instead of the Ventura Freeway."

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
VonMeister said:
bigtuna said:
Sharkbiscuit said:
bigtuna said:
bird. said:
They are legally allowed to be there. You just have to deal with it. Maybe leave a few minutes earlier.
I find I'm happiest when I give myself 10-15 minutes minimum allowance on showing up before work. When I get into ruts where I'm barely making it in on time that whole 30 minutes before work I'm like rushing and already stressed because of it. And you don't wanna go into work stressed, it's only gonna get worse there.
Who cares if they're on time for work or not?

It doesn't matter to me if someone driving like a dying Granny in the passing lane makes me five minutes late instead of on time, or 25 minutes early instead of a half hour early.

That's five minutes, utterly wasted, by someone else being incompetent/inconsiderate.
welcome to living in society, want a tissue?
Your post doesn't make any sense? For a society to work, there needs to be consideration given to other members...yet you choose to poke at the person living outside the self absorbed vacuum.
Yeah because there's so much consideration for bicycles in this thread. :roflmao:

Consideration works both ways.

I'll bet you anything that Stu's commute route does not have bike lanes.

Bikes don't ride side to side "to talk", they ride side to side because:

1) It's safer

2) They have a legal right to take the lane in absence of bike lane or sharrow.

This is how you can be more considerate:

1) Make roads bike friendly.

2) Make roads safe for bicycles, not just cars.

3) Make all drivers undergo empathy training, like so:

:poke:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
000 said:
can the guy get a ticket for not having a kid?
and look at that pic in the bike lane

doesn't look like there's riders allowed there
cowabunga
rg

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
Sharkbiscuit said:
bigtuna said:
Sharkbiscuit said:

:roflmao:

Yeah, if you don't see anything inconsiderate or self-absorbed about a recreational bike team using PCH en masse during rush hour...

If you phrase it as "others", like the UCLA bike team is "society" performing some essential duty, and "your", singular, like I'm some sort of misanthrope Grinch alone up on Mount Crumpet, esoterically going to work on a weekday morning...

"Society" hates group Lancers' fucking guts, full stop. "Society" is trying to drive to work on PCH, not group-Lance-impede "society" on its way to pay 10.5% state income tax to help subsidize UCLA.

LA Times said:
In 1982, Caltrans predicted that by the year 2000, more than 50,000 cars a day would use some parts of PCH between Civic Center Way and Sunset Boulevard. Traffic has already overtaken the forecast, reaching 53,000 cars a day just south of Topanga Canyon Boulevard in 1985.
"I found that if you're backed up two miles on Topanga, it takes you 18 minutes to get through the light and onto PCH. What I'm trying to figure out is, how in the world can people put up with this, do it every day?"
That's almost 30 years ago. 1987 LAT: http://articles.latimes.com/1987-07-20/local/me-3077_1_pacific-coast-highway

Super bonus "drive where you live", Northers for GWS:

"And now all those people from Ventura County and the West Valley are looking for a way to trim their driving time, and an awful lot of them are picking PCH instead of the Ventura Freeway."
in this entire post you just come off like a psychopath. You're society, doing societal things, and cyclists, the name you can't even utter without a derogatory slur, are not? Wtf? :socrazy:

And the rest of your post is about how there is a lot of traffic in Southern California. Uh, yea, I live here too, it's been mentioned before on the forum once or twice. Somewhere, I believe, maybe someone else could dig up the one or two times that has ever been mentioned on here ??????

If anything your post serves to enforce the fact that cyclists are very much not to blame for your long commute and therefore frustration - a large increase in the number of drivers over the past 30 years is. So why the hate for cyclists again?

Two last tid bits: one, society definitely does not hate cyclists. Don't speak for me on that one, or almost anyone I associate with. Not everyone is a dickhole.

Two - do the math sometime on just how much time you lose on your commute due to waiting to pass cyclists. You be suprised at how small the difference is between traveling at 20 mph for 60 seconds and traveling at 40 mph for that same distance. Intuition can already tell me it's less than sixty seconds. Would it just be halved, so thirty seconds ? Too lazy to do the simple math. Actually fvck it:

Well just did the math out units and all and yes it does work out to exactly half the time. So basically if you sit behind cyclists for a full minute going 20 mph when you otherwise could have been going 40 you've added a whopping 30 seconds to your commute. So adjust accordingly for real world situations - does the traffic flow at fifty otherwise? Then the ratio is (3/5)*number of seconds you were behind them. Etc etc for different speeds or times. I don't commute on the pch but find it hard to believe you're ever stuck behind cyclists for over a minute, it's probably more like 20 rage filled seconds until you're able to switch lanes adding a total of ten seconds to your commute. And don't forget - if they end up passing you when you stop their effect was therefore entirely nullified. Additionally if they gain any ground on you (say you couldn't go consistently 40 the rest of the trip) their effect is then reduced by that amount. Who knows , the point isn't the math, I just let you see that for your own peace of mind in the future (hopefully). The point is that it isn't a big deal.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Sharkbiscuit said:
FecalFace said:
3) Make all drivers undergo empathy training, like so:
:applause2: :bowdown: :roflmao:

"Empathy training". That is simply beautiful bait. If there was a VonMeister offshore fishing tournament, you could sell phrases like that for $10/pop.
Hey, he is the one touting concepts such as "consideration for others" being pillar of society.

That's pure pussification. :dancing:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
bigtuna said:
cyclists are very much not to blame for your long commute and therefore frustration
Correct; it's your inability to read:

Sharkbiscuit said:
I have a 2/3 mile commute. How do you think I get to work when it's not raining, not July/August hot, and no boards/fins/trunks/wetsuit to bring with me?

bigtuna said:
Two last tid bits: one, society definitely does not hate cyclists. Don't speak for me on that one, or almost anyone I associate with. Not everyone is a dickhole.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/14/bike-lane-backlash/12563877/

In the USA's 50 largest cities, bike commuting accounts for 1% of work travel.
1% is not society. 99% is society.

Some worthwhile responses indicating that avid cyclists know they are hated:

https://www.quora.com/Do-street-cyclists-know-drivers-actively-dislike-them

55% of Canadians seem to think cyclists are an annoyance:
http://dailyhive.com/montreal/canadian-cyclists-and-drivers-just-as-annoyed-as-each-other-poll

While 54% of respondents who cycle on busy streets said drivers were an annoyance, 55% of driving respondents felt the same about cyclists.

bigtuna said:
Two - do the math sometime on just how much time you lose on your commute due to waiting to pass cyclists. You be suprised at how small the difference is between traveling at 20 mph for 60 seconds and traveling at 40 mph for that same distance. Intuition can already tell me it's less than sixty seconds. Would it just be halved, so thirty seconds ? Too lazy to do the simple math. Actually fvck it:

Well just did the math out units and all and yes it does work out to exactly half the time. So basically if you sit behind cyclists for a full minute going 20 mph when you otherwise could have been going 40 you've added a whopping 30 seconds to your commute. So adjust accordingly for real world situations - does the traffic flow at fifty otherwise? Then the ratio is (3/5)*number of seconds you were behind them. Etc etc for different speeds or times. I don't commute on the pch but find it hard to believe you're ever stuck behind cyclists for over a minute, it's probably more like 20 rage filled seconds until you're able to switch lanes adding a total of ten seconds to your commute. And don't forget - if they end up passing you when you stop their effect was therefore entirely nullified. Additionally if they gain any ground on you (say you couldn't go consistently 40 the rest of the trip) their effect is then reduced by that amount. Who knows , the point isn't the math, I just let you see that for your own peace of mind in the future (hopefully). The point is that it isn't a big deal.
Yeah, like nobody ever had to sit at a stoplight on PCH because of a cyclist.

I don't know where you get off thinking your life is worth 5 minutes of someone else's time, but it isn't, and neither is mine.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Fair Exchange:

Raise my taxes X% to help fund bike paths like the one in the South Bay, which clearly forbids UCLA cyclists.

Meantime, everyone riding a bicycle 3+ abreast in a tear-drop peloton, impromptu or planned, in a 35 zone or above, on a weekday, must turn and say "There's no reason to be impatient; I am only wasting thirty seconds to a minute; math isn't the point - your time is not a big deal to me is the point."

Group Lancers would mostly keel over dead the first weekend, and motorist aggression against the remaining onesie-twosie cyclists would plummet. Commuters from Topanga and Malibu would be top priority on the separate bike path tip.

Eventually, rice could literally look down on County Line from his fixie, and he would also be as safe from County Line surfers' attempts to surf as he would be from County Line's surfers' attempts to drive.

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
I don't know where you get off thinking your life is worth 5 minutes of someone else's time, but it isn't, and neither is mine
You're psycho
"There's no reason to be impatient; I am only wasting thirty seconds to a minute; math isn't the point - your time is not a big deal to me is the point."
if I bake you a cake and write "sorry for your loss Sharkbiscuit" will that suffice as a means to cover all of the terrible injustice and cruelty you've had to struggle with? It will be a round cake, shaped like a bicycle wheel with spokes drawn across the center. What's your favorite kind of cake? The premise of the above quote and your entire logic is that your time and use of the road is far more important than anyone riding a bicycle in a certain manner, which is ridiculous and immature and indicative of selfishness or someone who is severely entitled and was never taught to share as a child. Practice deep breaths and let it go. It is only a matter of seconds.

Group Lancers would mostly keel over dead the first weekend,
for some reason I picture you sweating profusely smashing this into the keyboard with a beat red face and psychotic grin across your face from ear to ear.

Nice stats on bicycle commuters by the way, what were we talking about again?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Sharkbiscuit said:
Meantime, everyone riding a bicycle 3+ abreast in a tear-drop peloton, impromptu or planned, in a 35 zone or above, on a weekday, must turn and say "There's no reason to be impatient; I am only wasting thirty seconds to a minute; math isn't the point - your time is not a big deal to me is the point."
In 25 years of living here I've never seen this or had a problem of cyclists holding back traffic, on PCH or anywhere in California.

The few times I came across group rides, it literally took seconds to slow down and pass. Where is this hatred and perceived slight coming from?

It's the impotent seething rage that people trapped in their cages daily spew at anyone who dares use a bicycle on a road.

Bikes are not the problem, you and your perceived victimhood are.

You should try and ride your bike somewhere other than A1A.

Weeeeeeeeee :smile2:

psychophant

Miki Dora status
Jun 25, 2011
Hawai'i
Sharkbiscuit said:
bigtuna said:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/14/bike-lane-backlash/12563877/

In the USA's 50 largest cities, bike commuting accounts for 1% of work travel.
1% is not society. 99% is society.
Nice try.
Not everyone who chooses another means of hates cyclists.
Not everyone even commutes.

Some worthwhile responses indicating that avid cyclists know they are hated:

https://www.quora.com/Do-street-cyclists-know-drivers-actively-dislike-them

55% of Canadians seem to think cyclists are an annoyance:
http://dailyhive.com/montreal/canadian-cyclists-and-drivers-just-as-annoyed-as-each-other-poll

While 54% of respondents who cycle on busy streets said drivers were an annoyance, 55% of driving respondents felt the same about cyclists.
Trying it again?
Driving respondents are a subset of Canadians, just like the cyclists.

bigtuna said:

Yeah, like nobody ever had to sit at a stoplight on PCH because of a cyclist.

I don't know where you get off thinking your life is worth 5 minutes of someone else's time, but it isn't, and neither is mine.
It's called traffic.
Risking someone's life isn't worth 5 minutes of your time.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
FecalFace said:
I wouldn't be caught dead riding my bike on A1A, because (in Jax Beach) it's a great way to die and a total prick move.

There are far better places to commute where I won't be in hundreds of people's way, being a jerk who thinks everyone has a minute to spare so I can be safe, as if my life is worth an involuntary imposition on those peoples' time.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Sharkbiscuit said:
FecalFace said:
I wouldn't be caught dead riding my bike on A1A, because (in Jax Beach) it's a great way to die and a total prick move.

There are far better places to commute where I won't be in hundreds of people's way, being a jerk who thinks everyone has a minute to spare so I can be safe, as if my life is worth an involuntary imposition on those peoples' time.
Yeah, it's a YUGE inconvenience that, going around obstacles on the road.
You have to like move the wheel and stuff, maybe even tap the brakes.
Horrible. I don't even know how people go through their day with that amount of extra work imposed on them by inconsiderate people who insist on riding bicycles in a free society.

Everything. EVERYTHING, in America is built and designed around an automobile.
The car industry, the developers and urban designers made sure that that's the case.
It's been done at the expense of pedestrians, bicycles and humanity.

It's mind boggling to me that drivers, who have been given every privilege under the sun, cannot give a tiny little bit back and grant some courtesy to other road users.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
the janitor said:
FecalFace said:
I am utterly confused on the waterbottle placement and size, looks too big to fit between the tire and the frame and/or off the side where the pedal rotates :confused2:
Probably close, but it fits.

Different bike, different bottle here:

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
the janitor said:
aha! thanks

weird hipsters and their noncomformist bottle placements trip me out
MOAR water is always better on touring bikes.

Just don't be running over no doggy sh!t with your front tire. :barf:

This is more my style. :smile2:

No, not the red stockings, you pervs. :shameonyou: