Watch out! Cyclist coming through

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Anyone wanna train to ride this with me?

I've hiked to the top twice, 14 mile round trip from the gate if I recall properly. Mild steep at the start, long and flattish through marmot heaven, then the sad down part before final up part, gets a little steepish at the end. Probably the easiest 14K a person can do, though it can be a long day in the open sun. (got denied once due to snow and wind)

Here I am relaxing before the "sad down part before final up part":

1590685140089.png

Reactions: the janitor

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Was thinking about spending a week or two out there this summer and ticking off all of these climbs, but maybe just the one-way climb and have somebody shuttle the vehicle to the top.
Might want to look into https://trailangellist.org/ for rides. I parked my truck at the endpoint (Forks) and found a "trail angel" who drove 2 hours each way so I'd have my truck when I hiked out, dropped me off at my hotel, picked me up the next day and drove me another 2 hrs to Lone Pine to pick up my permit, then to the Horseshoe Meadow trailhead. So at least 7 hours of driving on 2 different days. Her "payment" request was a hug, a selfie with her, and to sign her guest book!! I tried giving her a C-note and she freaked "no!", and reluctantly accepted $80. I must a have saved $400-600 minimum on a ride service.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Might want to look into https://trailangellist.org/ for rides. I parked my truck at the endpoint (Forks) and found a "trail angel" who drove 2 hours each way so I'd have my truck when I hiked out, dropped me off at my hotel, picked me up the next day and drove me another 2 hrs to Lone Pine to pick up my permit, then to the Horseshoe Meadow trailhead. So at least 7 hours of driving on 2 different days. Her "payment" request was a hug, a selfie with her, and to sign her guest book!! I tried giving her a C-note and she freaked "no!", and reluctantly accepted $80. I must a have saved $400-600 minimum on a ride service.
Wow that's awesome!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
$kully, let's go do something early on saturday or sunday

I got the new rig from the shop yesterday and broke it in last night!

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
$kully, let's go do something early on saturday or sunday

I got the new rig from the shop yesterday and broke it in last night!

What'd you end up getting? Pics or it didn't happen!

I have no plans. You wanna come up this way and hit some hills?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
figure out something where we can shuttle cars easily or loop midway between the two of us

I still think chaves ravine to south bay has a lot of appeal

you could drive out here and leave your car and then we can put bikes in my truck
and drive downtown to shove off

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
figure out something where we can shuttle cars easily or loop midway between the two of us

I still think chaves ravine to south bay has a lot of appeal

you could drive out here and leave your car and then we can put bikes in my truck
and drive downtown to shove off
The back of my car is too cluttered with reusable grocery bags to put two bikes in. Chavez ravine to South Bay seems like a lot of traffic I’d rather avoid. What about LA river bike path to Griffith park to loop around silverlake and back? Good mix of flat and hills with large portions of it closed to traffic and a lot of variations depending how we feel without the complication of shuttling.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
View attachment 91791

View attachment 91792

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
The back of my car is too cluttered with reusable grocery bags to put two bikes in. Chavez ravine to South Bay seems like a lot of traffic I’d rather avoid. What about LA river bike path to Griffith park to loop around silverlake and back? Good mix of flat and hills with large portions of it closed to traffic and a lot of variations depending how we feel without the complication of shuttling.
you're such a bitch....you're just making me do all the driving.

what day?

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Saturday or Sunday works for me. Earlier is usually better. Def avoid mid day.

Why won't you tell us what you got? You stole a huffy didn't you?

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Are you allowed to cycle there? I hiked from Horseshoe meadows to the forks of the kern, through volcano meadow (epic), dropping into Kern canyon (epic), Little Kern lake area, Kern Flat. Best backpacking trip of my life. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but need to find another "trail angel' for a ride from my car at the end point to horseshoe.
I just meant the roads. Those giant switchbacks!

1590766739934.png

1590766800072.png

1590767429540.png

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Why won't you tell us what you got? You stole a huffy didn't you?
He doesn't want to get marked by someone recognizing his new steed. There'll be a thread about El Porto and like 700 people with between 100 and 1000 posts chime in with first-hand knowledge of which Lee burned who and what temp wax was on the 7'6" LazyBoy dropped unceremoniously to the ground so fisticuffs can proceed. I think the average weekday morning you could probably paddle past a dozen erBBers from the south end of the lot to the jetty.

You think he wants to get meated to his face?

Fuck. No.

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I've done 240 miles on the bike in the last 10 days.

140 miles this week alone.

my average speed is up may 10-15%, depending on conditions, but what is
really crazy is how I feel during and after the ride. I've done an average of 35
miles back to back to back to back the last 4 consecutive days with no real
fatigue or soreness like I would have had if I was pushing the single this hard.

in fact, I don't know if I have ever done 4 consecutive days at this mileage on
the single speed.

I fkn love the drops. game changer.

• Love
Reactions: plasticbertrand

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA

really crazy is how I feel during and after the ride. I've done an average of 35
fatigue or soreness like I would have had if I was pushing the single this hard.

the single speed.

Nice! Yeah, single/fixed is WORK.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

the single speed.

You didn't love the drops a few posts back?