Watch out! Cyclist coming through

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Using my horn, I sounded a lancer for riding in the middle of the street in front of me for an extended period of time with no effort to share the road. She flipped me off and a couple of parked lancers became enraged and yelled at me too. Definitely not their first rage rodeo.

Pretty satisfying pushing their buttons.

Last edited:
Reactions: keenfish

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Not much shock absorption , tires and frame

Tread pattern looks scary Too :)

1. My bomber MTB escapades are more or less past, as are my pool skateboard riding. Gotta save the body parts for sandbars, sharks, and mountain hiking/peak bagging related heart attacks. Hard tail is fine for the dirt trails I go on and the meager 1 to 3 foot drops that I can find. Even works ok on the "hidden" pump track in McLaren Park....but certainly the main thing holding me back is me, not the bike.

2. Suspension bikes are great for going downhill, but I am 95% urban road surfaces, San Francisco is hilly, and a bit of weight savings is a nice thing*. Ride some dirt paths/trails when I can, but my bike is easily half car replacement/utility, half fun exercise.

3. The 700x47 tires are grippy enough for what I do, which is a lot of pavement and cement. Lose a bit of air for the dirt trails and there is plenty of grip. I am pretty sure I can put in bigger, knobbier tires if my % of off-road pedaling increased.

1652218368007.png
The Panaracer GravelKing SK Tire is a high performance all-road gravel tire that performs well through a wide range of inflation levels. The mix of closely spaced center knobs, plus longer and taller cornering tread blocks is appreciated in soft or loose surfaces. Zero Slip Grip Natural rubber compound has low rolling resistance and enhanced wear resistance, for longevity and a smooth ride. AX technology uses extremely narrow cord which is weaved at a super high density into the casing for lightness and flexibility. This increased density improves resistance to cuts and abrasions. Anti-Flat Casing reinforcement throughout the tire strengthens resistance to cuts and pinch flats making the Gravelking a go-anywhere tire. Tubeless compatible up to 60 psi.

* - Some streets end in a cul du sac with steps....get off bicycle, carry it up steps. Suspension makes doing that more difficult. Follow red arrow to path, then turn right and carry bike up the stairs:

1652220138133.png

1652220026114.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Iceman and rice

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yes, he is constantly overbiked for the terrain he rides. I imagine there is a video coming soon that disputes this.
Santos is 12th nationwide on singletracks.com

I am in the minority on a hardtail and that's at Mayport on the coast. I think the proliferation of oak roots makes exact tire placement/line selection far more critical than on some of these trails from SoCal/Southwest where it's a perfectly tracked little gully without roots snaking every which way like wooden demon snakes.

I sincerely hope I am riding trails and surfing at....isn't the G-man 70-something?

Reactions: Mr Doof

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Yes, he is constantly overbiked for the terrain he rides. I imagine there is a video coming soon that disputes this.
In Hawaii we would end our ride up the motocross track area with what we called the Merlot Run
A downhill run to the gate at the bottom , then to Steve's house at monster mush for that 1 glass of Merlot
My over travel bike was Soo much fun !
Then we developed the Pupukea trails , that we ended with another combination of downhill trails
Again my long travel bike made this way more fun .
My current bike has 20mm less front and 30mm less rear - missing those extra mm
Who the hell cares what you guys think ?

Last edited:

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
In Hawaii we would end our ride up the motocross track area with what we called the Merlot Run
A downhill run to the gate at the bottom , then to Steve's house at monster mush for that 1 glass of Merlot
My over travel bike was Soo much fun !
Then we developed the Pupukea trails , that we ended with another combination of downhill trails
Again my long travel bike made this way more fun .
My current bike has 20mm less front and 30mm less rear - missing those extra mm
Who the hell cares what you guys think ?
...clearly with that informative message LOL. Sharing is caring :)

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Yes, we've seen and know the bike by now. And buy some proper brakes if thats whats needed. Id buy that bike but cant do that Orange.

Have you figured out you can just put the Battery in a box and ship it? Its really not that challenging....

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Yes, we've seen and know the bike by now. And buy some proper brakes if thats whats needed. Id buy that bike but cant do that Orange.

Have you figured out you can just put the Battery in a box and ship it? Its really not that challenging....
I have a bleed kit for the brakes , you pressurize the caliper closing the pads which increses the power and shortens the bite point . I have a new set of Saints too .

Please tell me more about just putting the battery in a box to Hawaii

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I have a bleed kit for the brakes , you pressurize the caliper closing the pads which increses the power and shortens the bite point . I have a new set of Saints too .

Please tell me more about just putting the battery in a box to Hawaii
cool story on the bleed kit.
Might be overly complex to instruct on the ways of shipping things. Especially to an Island as thats WAY more challenging.