Watch out! Cyclist coming through

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I like the tires on this. Tubeless is nice because cactus, goat heads, etc.

I don't know about the suspension. Probably not great but should work or is upgradable. I used to ride a rigid fork/frame with 26x2.0 tires all over Sedona. It was great because that's all I had and it was 1992.

If you really go nuts you'll outgrow the bike in a year, but be able to sell it for a grand. I say go for it.

If they have a Fathom in stock, consider that. Your components will be much better and you get a dropper post.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

I don't know about the suspension. Probably not great but should work or is upgradable. I used to ride a rigid fork/frame with 26x2.0 tires all over Sedona. It was great because that's all I had and it was 1992.

If you really go nuts you'll outgrow the bike in a year, but be able to sell it for a grand. I say go for it.

If they have a Fathom in stock, consider that. Your components will be much better and you get a dropper post.
Fathom is a hardtail.

Do you think I'm better off on a hardtail in longrun?

How hard are they on the culo?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I'm looking for a full suspension MTB as well. Would mostly be riding around mountains in Malibu. Lots of up and down. What's the thoughts on this? Too overkill. I probably don't want to spend more than this. Should bigger guys go with more suspension or does it matter?

It's got GX/NX components.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

Tires are one of the easiest components to replace. Replacing a suspension is significantly more costly.

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
I'm looking for a full suspension MTB as well. Would mostly be riding around mountains in Malibu. Lots of up and down. What's the thoughts on this? Too overkill. I probably don't want to spend more than this. Should bigger guys go with more suspension or does it matter?

Maybe too much bike. No need for that much suspension unless you’re really hauling ass and riding steep sh!t. If you can find one, the new Ibis Ripley AF starts at 2999. That’d be my vote.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Not sure if I know what I like as a beginner. I was told it comes in around 30lbs as well, a bit lighter than others in its class.

30 lbs is light. 30-something sounds more like it.

Easy to go tubeless, since it's already tubeless ready. Just get tubeless valves and sealant.

Also, upgrade to an internally routed dropper post, assuming the frame is ready.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

buy it and make sure you kick him in the nuts and run over his ebike with you car when you drive away

ShiverMeTimbers

Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Fathom is a hardtail.

Do you think I'm better off on a hardtail in longrun?

How hard are they on the culo?
You'll go slower on a hard tail, and you'll learn how to ride smoother. Your culo will demand it. If that's your price point, you can have a decent hard tail or a sub-standard full suspension. At sub $2k, you'll likely upgrade the suspension components within a year if you're riding regularly.

ShiverMeTimbers

Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Maybe too much bike. No need for that much suspension unless you’re really hauling ass and riding steep sh!t. If you can find one, the new Ibis Ripley AF starts at 2999. That’d be my vote.
Or Ripmo AF. How much bigger? I'm 6'2" 191 lbs and ride a 120mm rear/130mm front suspension bike. Its fine for trails and light enduro stuff on our buffed out trails in the PNW. At 47, I'm not charging big sh!t anymore.

If I still lived in SoCal, I'd probably want a little more suspension for the rocks. The extra squish will bail you out of situations if you get in over your head and enable you to go faster downhill, but slower uphill.

The best bike is the one you ride. Commit to one, start riding, and keep in mind it might not be your forever bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Doof

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Compared to roadbikes, goddam these bikes seem big! I can see why you guys steered me to 27.5 vs 29.

Test rode a new 2021 Giant Stance 27.5

$1650.

Mebbe should purchase tommorrow?

Tell me why I shouldn't.

Also, good idea to go tubeless?
I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Full suspension all the way. Go tubeless. This thing will last you a couple years, no worries. By then, you'll be wanting some carbon this or that and be able to sell the Giant for a down payment towards something nicer. Don't overthink it man.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Also, what is the brake wear like hardtail vs full suspension?
negligible. depends more on your riding style, trails, etc. brake pads are cheap and easy to change.

when you ride bumpy terrain, you have to get out of the saddle, which helps your handling (and fitness), to absorb the bumps. hardtails make you do this more and pick smoother lines, which improves your skills. hardtails climb better (lighter and less bounce).

that giant sounds like a good deal, if you want fs.

• Love
Reactions: $kully and Mr Doof
Jul 21, 2015
GRVL bike. Its the best of both worlds. You can get a spare wheelset too - one for knobbies, 1 for slicks.
EVIL CHAMOIS HAGAR has my mind blown ride now. ITS SOFA KING RAD. Mental really. If OC gets the rain it needs then I'll be riding to and up san juan on hero dirt this afternoon or tomorrow. Yes, riding to. from San Clem. about 70 miles round trip and a sh!t ton of fun each mile. :jamon:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I was extremely close to getting a ripmo AF last year until I realized the tendinitis in my wrist was not having it. Luckily I discovered that while demo'ing it.

Great bike and you can't really find anyone that says it isn't a lot of bike for the money.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
@casa, you are in between a size S, and Medium on the Stance. Ride both for 10+ minutes and choose the one which feels best to you.