Watch out! Cyclist coming through

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
That’s as simple as tightening this wire being held by this nut?View attachment 102245
The question is how much slack is being generated and how quickly are you pedaling backwards. If you spin the pedals relatively quickly backwards it is normal for the chain to compress up top / flop around / seem like it is going to bounce off. And yes - it will always do this more in the smallest (highest numerically) gear because what you’re essentially doing is trying to use a chain to push the rear cassette into rotation. When you’re in the higher gear that chain - which is not designed to be used in compression - has less leverage on the freehub than it does when it is in a lower gear (larger diameter / lever arm). So you won’t notice as much (if any) slack forming on the top portion of the chain in the lower gears when you pedal backwards.

Totally normal. Unless it does this when you pedal backwards very slowly. In that case something’s gone amuk.

Also this does happen more on new stuff before it breaks in. Everything from the freehub to the pulleys to the chain are all greased up making things a tad stiffer. Like your friend says when that wears off you won’t notice it as much. But if you pedal backwards quickly this effect will always occur because chains aren’t meant to push things.

Reactions: manbearpig

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
After deliberating back and forth and going on test rides, I decided against the Ripmo AF. The 29's felt a little too big. 27.5's felt better to me. Ended up putting a down payment on an Ibis Mojo HD5.

1609340910057.png

Any recs on some flat pedals? I'm not gram counting so I really don't care about the weight. Just looking for a solid middle of the road pedal.

Reactions: ghostshaper

Chile Verde

OTF status
Sep 29, 2011
where the wind begins
After deliberating back and forth and going on test rides, I decided against the Ripmo AF. The 29's felt a little too big. 27.5's felt better to me. Ended up putting a down payment on an Ibis Mojo HD5.

View attachment 102952

Any recs on some flat pedals? I'm not gram counting so I really don't care about the weight. Just looking for a solid middle of the road pedal.
Deity T-MACs or Spank Oozys, neither are cheap but are both fine choices. Rode the Oozys for about 5 years and now on the the T-MACs but you cant go wrong with either choice. Nice looking new bike.

Reactions: jkb

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

View attachment 102952

I'm digging my crank bros stamp composites for under $50.

Not impressed w my 5ten shoes, though. Would rather ride cheap vans. This after switching to flats. Still have my old sidis. If you ride 5tens or vans and have to hike a bike, they have no traction.

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm digging my crank bros stamp composites for under $50.

Not impressed w my 5ten shoes, though. Would rather ride cheap vans. This after switching to flats. Still have my old setis. If you ride 5tens or vans and have to hike a bike, they have no traction.
What size did you go with on those stamp composites?

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com

View attachment 102952

Crankbrothers Stamp 7. Great grip and tough. I've had them for a year, zero issues. I wear FiveTen's higher end shoes, they work great. Plenty of articles talking about flat shoe recs.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
How often do you guys take your bikes to get “serviced” and what typically goes into that?

when I got my gravel bike the salesman said to bring it in after 10 rides to make sure nothing has shifted.