Wasn’t there a poster here who said (regarding equity) that the only way to achieve it is to...

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
This is apparently about 4th, 5th, and 6th graders in an already steadily demising program run at limited schools in the area....but anyway. The real question is what these numbers reveal:

The program was open to all students in the Boston Public Schools who took a test known as Terra Nova in the third grade and received a high score. Those students were placed in a lottery conducted by the central administration office, and lottery winners received letters inviting them to apply to the program. Last fall, 453 students received invitations, 143 students applied and 116 enrolled this year, officials said.

As long as:

1) nothing about the lottery, invitation, or opt-in process was discriminatory;
2) class sizes weren't disproportionally limiting access to minority applicants; and
3) a disproportionate amount of money wasn't being spent on the program such that it harmed the other kids' education

Then citing racial inequities is stupid and counter-productive.

IF there's a correlation between socioeconomic status and race along the same lines in the community that complicates the analysis a bit.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This is apparently about 4th, 5th, and 6th graders in an already steadily demising program run at limited schools in the area....but anyway. The real question is what these numbers reveal:

The program was open to all students in the Boston Public Schools who took a test known as Terra Nova in the third grade and received a high score. Those students were placed in a lottery conducted by the central administration office, and lottery winners received letters inviting them to apply to the program. Last fall, 453 students received invitations, 143 students applied and 116 enrolled this year, officials said.

As long as:

1) nothing about the lottery, invitation, or opt-in process was discriminatory;
2) class sizes weren't disproportionally limiting access to minority applicants; and
3) a disproportionate amount of money wasn't being spent on the program such that it harmed the other kids' education

Then citing racial inequities is stupid and counter-productive.

IF there's a correlation between socioeconomic status and race along the same lines in the community that complicates the analysis a bit.
Higher performing students should be on a different, more challenging and accelerated educational path than lower performing students regardless of why they perform better.

Reactions: Clayster

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Higher performing students should be on a different, more challenging and accelerated educational path than lower performing students regardless of why they perform better.
Smart kids who crave a challenge and accelerated learning just need a library card.

I don't really worry about smart kids.

It's the dummies where there is concern.

Last edited:

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I agree. Although, again we're talking about 3rd graders taking an entrance exam in this scenario. Regardless, what I was trying to point out is the focus - in terms of racial equality - should be on ensuring the program is designed in a way such that qualified minority students have a proportional opportunity to participate. The article (and probably the school board) was focused on the wrong numbers.

And yeah, if there's something inherently biased about the program it needs to be addressed. But - as the Boston example seemed to be trying to do, though there wasn't much detail in the article - they should do it in a way that allows advanced kids to continue to receive the education they need/deserve.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Are you ok?
he's not. he doesn't like that he's not part of the inside joke.

he also doesn't like that he got totally fkn dunked on the last time he popped
his stupid lemming head up out of his hole so he came here to leak a little

• Sad
Reactions: manbearpig

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
...bring down the top?

I've been saying this. So has Steve Sailer for decades. Time to get your kids out of the public schools.

Now that I'm older and have compared myself to foreign colleagues and kids who went to private school, I see the obvious deficiencies in what they teach and don't teach. The 3 Rs have gone by the wayside and California NAEP scores are proof of this. Literacy has declined from 90-95% 100 years ago to about 66%. They don't teach logic anymore. This has definitely hindered me in a lot of ways and I'm teaching myself now. Our math instruction is poor compared to the rest of the world. The focus of instruction is increasingly on Pelvic Problems and ethnic issues. Would you like your son or daughter coming home from school confused about their sex?