Wasn’t there a poster here that mentioned this (regarding covid) a few times?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Can you learn to stop suffering from depression?
So now you're bringing depression into this? Move goalposts much? :roflmao:

To answer your question, I don't think a mindset change is enough in isolation for most who suffer from depression, especially if there is a genetic and/or chemical component to it. I do think there is a "skill" to happiness in terms of having a better mindset where you appreciate what you have and seeking contentment instead of fleeting emotions of "happiness". Although that is part of a broader strategy that also includes a combination of lifestyle change, counseling, exercise, and/or medication. Some psychologists now consider exercise to be one of the crucial legs of the stool for depression.

For weight loss, transitioning away from processed and restaurant foods into whole foods is not easy, but doable for most and will get results. It does take work, just like almost everything else worthwhile in life.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
You got a brain, you know just as well as everyone else being fat and out of shape isn't as healthy as being fit and not fat. Surprised you fall for the marketing of Cosmo and would use it to try to prove yourself wrong. What other things do you disagree with that you use to try and prove your self right?
oNLy 0n R3dd!T....

I seem to remember people having no problem with banning dangerous ideas they disagree with...

Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
drnadolsky All of my posts come from interactions with patients or from commenters. I couldn’t come up with most of this sh!t if I tried.

I’ve noticed that some have insinuated that obesity comes from disordered eating or that obesity itself is an eating disorder. While having binge eating disorder can contribute to obesity, it’s not actually present in most with obesity.

As mentioned yesterday, it’s mostly a long term passive occurrence. Having a genetic propensity to it while being surrounded by yummy ultra processed foods will have that effect.

Anyway, this does a disservice to both those with eating disorders and those with obesity. You can have both. They can contribute to each other too. But they aren’t one in the same.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
In my working class hero life, I labored at remote oil production sites 12-hour days for weeks at a time. We had excellent food. That and the pay made up for the remoteness, the paucity of women and the daily work conditions. The food was a real morale booster. Food can help one cope.

Reactions: mundus and Autoprax

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The key is to get lean and strong and workout hard for 45 minutes 4-6 times a week.

Then you can eat what you want for pleasure.

I notice when I am lean and in good shape I crave good food.

Now I'm fat I eat doughnuts and In and Out and bean burritos.

I'm surprised I'm not fat like Fat Carl fat.

Maybe I am and I am in denial like he is? :monkey:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
So now you're bringing depression into this? Move goalposts much? :roflmao:

To answer your question, I don't think a mindset change is enough in isolation for most who suffer from depression, especially if there is a genetic and/or chemical component to it. I do think there is a "skill" to happiness in terms of having a better mindset where you appreciate what you have and seeking contentment instead of fleeting emotions of "happiness". Although that is part of a broader strategy that also includes a combination of lifestyle change, counseling, exercise, and/or medication. Some psychologists now consider exercise to be one of the crucial legs of the stool for depression.

For weight loss, transitioning away from processed and restaurant foods into whole foods is not easy, but doable for most and will get results. It does take work, just like almost everything else worthwhile in life.
Not moving goalposts at all, depression and overeating go hand in hand.

You are disgregarding the fact that people overeat for a reason.

If it was that easy, everybody would be athletic and healthy.

It figures you can't see this, being empathetically challenged and all.

You and ifailalot both, NPD.

• Haha

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
What's the reason for that?

Why would people want to be fat and poor?

Also, link?
People tend to take the easy path. Being fat is easy.

It’s not that people want to be fat. People DON’T want to do what needs to be done to be lean. I can totally understand that too. I don’t want to forego cookies and ice cream and beer and soda and late night bowls of cereal but I do forego those things even though it’s hard.

I don’t know why you keep bringing up poor people. I’m not talking about poor people. I’m talking about fat people.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

My depression made me lose weight, which just about as common as weight gain.

Also depression is treatable. One thing that can help fat depressed people is losing weight.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Being locked up at home isolated and alone and afraid of a virus, fear based largely on what your only only portal to the outside world (tv news) is telling you, is probably one of the most depressing things that can be done to a person.

Then that depression may result in weight gain which makes you more vulnerable to very thing from which you are cowering in fearful isolation.

Put the fork down, go outside.

Start right now.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

So of the 40% of Americans that are obese, what % also suffer from clinical depression? I imagine that the variation in depression and mental illness rates from country to country are much smaller in comparison to obesity rates.

To your point, yes, i agree that there are underlying emotional issues for those who are obese. It's a self perpetuating cycle where being overweight causes them to feel depressed about themselves, so they eat to feel better. Addressing emotional triggers should be part of any path to improved long term health.

The difference is that many who suffer from depression can be almost perfect with their lifestyle and personal care yet still require medical intervention to feel better. That is not true for obesity, where nearly everyone is capable of improving their health outcomes with lifestyle changes.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
People tend to take the easy path. Being fat is easy.

It’s not that people want to be fat. People DON’T want to do what needs to be done to be lean. I can totally understand that too. I don’t want to forego cookies and ice cream and beer and soda and late night bowls of cereal but I do forego those things even though it’s hard.

I don’t know why you keep bringing up poor people. I’m not talking about poor people. I’m talking about fat people.
poor people are fat?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Why would people want to be fat and poor?
Poor men tend to be fit, they often work manual labor.
Poor women tend to be fat and have sedentary lifestyles.

Rich men tend to be fat, they ride desks and eat heavy.
Rich women tend to be fit, they go to gyms and have trainers.