Warmest hooded full suit and favorite winter gear

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Van Isl, BC Canada, US pnw. Water 4-8C, air -10 to 10C.
Gloves and boots are assorted brands, 3-7mm and 5-7mm respectively. I’ve found xcel boots and O’Neill gloves to be my favourites, and patagonia claws and mitts when windy and below freezing.

Beach and point/reef breaks so a mix of very active and sitting a lot. I generally run cold at 6ft+ and 145-150lbs.

I would say if below freezing, and brisk offshores…I’m reaching for the isurus 6/5 and 7mm xcel booties with patagonia claws/mitts.
Thanks hard some times to tell true PNW or even East coast from cold NSD dawn patroler who needs a 5/4 hoody with gloves and booties :cheers:

Reactions: rgruber

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I like C-skins the best. Now I have the C-Skins ReWired 6/5 with 6mm boots and gloves.

Excel is the worst crap. The smoothskin detaches at the seams and the crotch is leaky.

Jul 18, 2018
Agree. Feral 6/5/4 is a great suit for the east coast. It is lighter than most 5/4s I’ve had, especially when wet.
Agreed.
My 5/4 Isurus is definitely a quality suit but I have had issues with flushing in heavy surf. However, my biggest nuisance is that the lining is pretty sticky so it's a bit of chore for me to take off (I've got a terrible shoulder, torn bicep tendon/torn labrum etc).
The Feral isn't perfect but I find that it flushes less, is warmer, similarly flexible, cheaper, and dries significantly faster. I prefer it to all of the other winter suits I've had. That said, I haven't been in an Oneil or Ripcurl for 4-5 years.
YMMV but I made the swap from Isurus to Feral last year and I'm pretty happy about it.
My winter setup is:
6/5/4 Feral hooded
8mm Solite boots ( I like but not as awesome as the adds make them sound)
5mm lobster claws (currently old Rip Curls, need to update, seems are blown)

Reactions: MrTips and Aruka

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Agreed.
My 5/4 Isurus is definitely a quality suit but I have had issues with flushing in heavy surf. However, my biggest nuisance is that the lining is pretty sticky so it's a bit of chore for me to take off (I've got a terrible shoulder, torn bicep tendon/torn labrum etc).
The Feral isn't perfect but I find that it flushes less, is warmer, similarly flexible, cheaper, and dries significantly faster. I prefer it to all of the other winter suits I've had. That said, I haven't been in an Oneil or Ripcurl for 4-5 years.
YMMV but I made the swap from Isurus to Feral last year and I'm pretty happy about it.
My winter setup is:
6/5/4 Feral hooded
8mm Solite boots ( I like but not as awesome as the adds make them sound)
5mm lobster claws (currently old Rip Curls, need to update, seems are blown)
I’ve been replacing Isurus with Feral as well.

Jul 18, 2018
What's the difference between Isurus and Feral?
Same neoprene but The Feral suits have no lining and are slightly thicker, specifically in the chest. The Isurus suits are a bit thinner but have a fancy liner that is supposed to do all sorts of tech magic. The tech doesn't not work, but I find that the slightly thicker neoprene on the Feral is warmer, dries faster and ultimately works a bit better for me.
Both companies are definitely quality. Not trying to hate on Isurus, clearly they have made many people happy.
Again, YMMV but I am happier with Feral.

Jul 18, 2018
Same neoprene but The Feral suits have no lining and are slightly thicker, specifically in the chest. The Isurus suits are a bit thinner but have a fancy liner that is supposed to do all sorts of tech magic. The tech doesn't not work, but I find that the slightly thicker neoprene on the Feral is warmer, dries faster and ultimately works a bit better for me.
Both companies are definitely quality. Not trying to hate on Isurus, clearly they have made many people happy.
Again, YMMV but I am happier with Feral.
I don't know if this makes sense but my Isurus felt very warm when there is full sunlight. Not as warm when overcast. The Feral felt more consistent in varying conditions. This could all be in my head but that's how it felt to me.

Jul 18, 2018
is feral short in the body? oneill fit me like glove. feral hipster trash sizing?
Yeah, a little bit. I'm 5'11, 165lbs, longer torso, shorter legs.
My 654 is a MT and my 543 is a M. Both work well for me but the hood on the 654 felt really tight in M so I went a little longer in the thicker suit. The 543 is a luxury but is nice to have, not quite as warm as my 5/4 Isurus but significantly more flexible and dries faster.
I'm not trying to hate on Isurus, I have their 2/2 full suit and love it, just pointing out that Feral is legit and worth considering.

Reactions: Havoc

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
my feral seems short. It's an xl that's supposed to fit up to 6'3 and I'm in between 6'0 and 6'1" and it feels short.

gonna order a 3mm hoody at L tall and I hope it fits cause it's a warm comfy suit that lasts a long time and dries fast.