Wanna tow foil?

Aug 28, 2020
How small of an outboard on an small inflatable could you tow in on, I wonder.
Pretty small, as you only need to get going about 10-15 mph. You'd need to be careful about getting the boat caught inside though. Something that could outrun a wave (then turn around and punch through it) would be a good idea.

Reactions: Autoprax

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yes, it seems like getting caught inside would be inevitable.

I was just thinking about a cheaper option than a Seado.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
How small of an outboard on an small inflatable could you tow in on, I wonder.
This boat has a 60hp motor and we had it pinned a couple times just barely staying ahead of a breaking wave. Another friend of mine has a smaller zodiac, smaller motor he uses sometimes to tow. But have only seen him out in smaller surf.

Reactions: Autoprax
Aug 28, 2020
Jason, I expected you to kick out a couple times in that video but you kept going inside. Did you paddle back out or did the boat venture in to pick you up?

I have a 13' Boston Whaler with 40-hp motor that I think would work great but no way would I want to take it into the impact zone...

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Never towed....crazy stoked to try, but the logistics are also daunting, especially in our local (Vancouver Island). I have a boat, but frankly I am not willing to risk it ... especially with someone else driving while I tow-in. Need a ski!

Re: smaller underpowered boats ... I can't remember where, but I remember some discussion about using zodiac with a 15hp. Tow up way outside, just fast enough to get up, then pump into the building swells. Maybe it was one of the Progression Project podcasts. Seems to make sense, minimal risk to the boat, would work as long as the riders can flat water pump (which I barely can/can't ;-)

Reactions: Kaser1

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
13' whaler, 25 hp motor. Can easily get people up on foil. I would only use it on unbroken swells though. We have some outer reefs here that are perfect for this when it's small.

Reactions: sozzle

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Jason, I expected you to kick out a couple times in that video but you kept going inside. Did you paddle back out or did the boat venture in to pick you up?

I have a 13' Boston Whaler with 40-hp motor that I think would work great but no way would I want to take it into the impact zone...
Best is to take it all the way inside. If you kick out early you'll be in the impact zone and the captain didn't like that. :shameonyou:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
No, there's a company renting them here. A friend tried it said was kinda fun.
I want to buy one with the collapsable prop so you could foil out to the waves and when you get on the wave, you use the power of the wave.

I could go up to Camp Pendleton and be all by myself.

12 grand is a good chunk of money for a toy.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
They’re $2k off right now for lift. There are other options too.

Foil.zone is your resource for how to build them yourself.