Wanna Be Vloggers?????

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
WTF is up with wanna be vloggers? I really don't get this phenomenon. This morning I biked up and as I'm getting ready to paddle out in waist high dogshit July in NJ surf here comes the newest wanna be vlogger. One board under his arm and another in a boardbag. He's talking to his GoPro then he sets up a SoloShot at the lifeguard stand and paddles out with a mouth mount GoPro. Never seen this guy before. Had the hipster look going and I'd rate him as an adult learner 6-months in. Guy could barely surf especially in the conditions at hand. I don't even know what he thought he'd get out of a mouth mount GoPro while poorly executing the Huntington Hop in waist high dogshit. SoloShot footage must have been epic of him flailing with the GoPro in his mouth.

Don't people just surf anymore?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Many people no longer just do anything. "Pics or it didn't happen" has infiltrated nearly every part of American culture.

I was talking to my "manager" (in quotes because she doesn't do anything at all to manage me) and she said "why don't we stop using the word influencer and just call them narcissists?"

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
WTF is up with wanna be vloggers? I really don't get this phenomenon. This morning I biked up and as I'm getting ready to paddle out in waist high dogshit July in NJ surf here comes the newest wanna be vlogger. One board under his arm and another in a boardbag. He's talking to his GoPro then he sets up a SoloShot at the lifeguard stand and paddles out with a mouth mount GoPro. Never seen this guy before. Had the hipster look going and I'd rate him as an adult learner 6-months in. Guy could barely surf especially in the conditions at hand. I don't even know what he thought he'd get out of a mouth mount GoPro while poorly executing the Huntington Hop in waist high dogshit. SoloShot footage must have been epic of him flailing with the GoPro in his mouth.

Don't people just surf anymore?
Re: the mouth mount Go Pro, I heard one local friend of mine ask a guy if they come with a cock-shaped one.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Next time you see him ask for his IG and YT channels. It could make a good thread.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
There were waves today?

worst summer ever, so far.

I’ve forgot what a head dip is.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Wannabee vloggers = wannabee influencers = wanna be paid for repping somebody's product

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
There were waves today?

worst summer ever, so far.

I’ve forgot what a head dip is.
This morning was shortboardable at a couple of the jetties near my house. Got two turns and a closeout floater in on my best wave. Nothing great but worth riding a shortboard. Water warmed up significantly too.

Here is a shot from this morning's cam rewind. I was at the next jetty North but it was pretty much the same setup just less people. Decent set about every five minutes. If you look closely there is someone on this left off the rocks.

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Senor Sopa

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Mouth mount GoPro footage is hideous with very very few exceptions. Mason Ho being one of the only exceptions. If you're not Mason Ho you probably should not be using a GoPro like that.
it's good for tube riding and that's about it, nate florence also has some good clips using what i'm assuming is a mouth mount go pro.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
This morning was shortboardable at a couple of the jetties near my house. Got two turns and a closeout floater in on my best wave. Nothing great but worth riding a shortboard. Water warmed up significantly too.

Here is a shot from this morning's cam rewind. I was at the next jetty North but it was pretty much the same setup just less people. Decent set about every five minutes. If you look closely there is someone on this left off the rocks.

View attachment 133538
Ahhhh. Where the lifeguards are headquartered. Once saw A Carter get a stand up toob off that jetty, tough to do for a guy that tall!

I speculated there might be a small wave this morning but decided to focus on work. Dang