Waikiki During Quarantine

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Nelson one of the old time regulars at Rockpiles got a ticket for sitting on the bench under the Milo trees checking the surf. He was my 7th grade PE teacher at Kaimuki Intermediate, called Kaimuki Middle School now. I asked him what the fine is. He said there’s a court date but no monetary fine. The police officer told him to just write a letter to the judge and send it in. Same thing happened to one of the regulars at Kapolei Skate Park. The mayor is using HPD to send a message to take this seriously. I bet there’s a quota for officers to make too.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Tomorrow starts another 14 day lockdown of non-essential businesses along with beaches, beachparks, state parks and hikes closed. They are doing this in order to do a mass testing and tracing event with the surgeon general. I figured I'd go out and support my friends and clients businesses today so went around to multiple restaurants and shops. Spent a little everywhere. The vibe was pretty weird out on the streets. People weren't stressed out, but more sad, letdown, bummed out. Felt kinda shitty to be honest.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Sucks. walmart costco and target gonna be the only things left soon. ANy scoops on how oahu got so bad compared to the other islands? Military seems like the obvious reason as the state was good for a couple months but oahu still had military coming in from the mainland and going out grocery shopping without a hard quarantine. Everywhere else in the state had bars and restaurants reopen, beaches, cookouts , camping, etc but cases spiking on the only island with plenty military there seems to be a connection

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
most of the cases during the last 3-4 week surge have been with people well under 29
I guess they feel invincible and are partying and not social distancing and killing their neighbors and fellow residents they don't even know. Heard via coconut wireless that 7 OCC guards are now on vents. And that the surge on the big island came from just two events including a funeral. The super spreader events are doing some damage.
There's a huge percentage of people here overweight with heart issues, asthma and especially diabetes who are at risk when 1/6 are a potential infection vector. Same goes for the rest of the country, it's not a small number, those at risk. But people minimalize it to justify their own selfishness.
Allot of those folks and especially those working on the front lines like health workers and EMS are pissed because this lockdown may continue as long as people refuse to listen to get this under control.

There's 70,000 free tests to be given on oahu over the next two weeks but we were just told that if someone signs up on their own and gets a test, they then must quarantine at home on their own dime (sick/vacation) until they get the results back. Once that is used up it's leave without pay when they quarantine. We have about half a dozen employees returning from taking their kids to school on the mainland who now must quarantine for 2 weeks on their own dime before they can come back to work.

They are already refusing ambulances in all the main hospitals on oahu.
You have a normal emergency? well you ain't getting in so suck it up
that's what's come to
people who don't need to die, even from regular trauma will.

island communities have to sacrifice sometimes to survive, it's a centuries old edict
If people can't adjust to the requirements of living on an island, people should just get the hell off and go back to where ever you came from and not bitch and moan about why can't I do what I want to do when I want to do it..
With the new shelter in place lockdown, it doesn't make sense to come here to vacation as almost nothing is open now except the neighbor islands which aren't on another lockdown yet.

so sad

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: the janitor

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
most of the cases during the last 3-4 week surge have been with people well under 29
I guess they feel invincible and are partying and not social distancing and killing their neighbors and fellow residents they don;t even know.
There's a huge percentage of people here overweight with heart issues, asthma and especially diabetes who are at risk when 1/6 are a potential infection vector. Same goes for the rest of the country, it's not a small number, those at risk. But people minimalize it to justify their own selfishness.
Allot of those folks and especially those on the front lines like health workers and EMS are pissed because this lockdown may continue as long as people refuse to listen to get this under control.

They are already refusing ambulances in all the main hospitals on oahu.
You have a normal emergency? well you ain't getting in so suck it up
that's what's come to
people who don't need to die, even from regular trauma will.

island communities have to sacrifice sometimes to survive, it's a centuries old edict
If people can't adjust to the requirements of living on an island, people should just get the hell off and go back to where ever you came from and not bitch and moan about why can't I do what I want to do when I want to do it..

so sad

If news accounts are on point, the closure could easily be extended to longer. According to reports attributed to Mayor Caldwell, the State Health Director Bruce Anderson wanted the duration of stay at home and/or the work from home order extended to 28 days. So, appears the lockdown is still very much a work in progress.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I understand there is a body of archeological evidence that Micronesians were the first immigrants to Hawaii, predating the Tahitians and other Polynesians by centuries. The Menehune of Hawaiian legend.
I am not a student of archaeology or ancient cultures, but this is what I came up with myself after my first visit to Kauai and learning new stuff.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
this mild mannered micronesian once the greatest living open ocean pacific navigator, single handedly saved hawaiians from themselves and start our revitalization in the late 70's

exhibition-OB160.jpg

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004

as I was zipping this video I immediately caught a familiar face during the part where they built and gave papa mau his own open ocean canoe. It was the face of David(Kawika) Eskaran one of my best friends from school. Didn't know he was part of that project but he did help BYU Hawaii build their own canoe many years later. He's the guy in the upper left of this screen capture. KSBE interviewed him about his career and he even talks about when he and I would hang out with Wright Bowman in intermediate school when we were boarders at Maude Post West. Here's the article and screen grab.

Kawika Eskaran

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 08.56.54.png

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Fook Ige and Caldwell.

This is complete and utter bullshit. They are ruining people's lives. I get the need for getting the virus under control, but shutting down small business who can socially distance and take reasonable measures is a complete over reaction. It's easy for them to justify it since they won't be missing paychecks or dealing with the problem. What is our plan? Ruin the economy and just let the residents go bankrupt?

And before anyone says anything to me. I'm considered mission essential and go into my office to work. I wear a mask and take reasonable precautions.

Last edited:

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
We had a chance to nip this in the bud. Lock it all down for six weeks. Quarantine visitors and returning residents in empty hotels. But no. Had to let everybody "self-quarantine" even tourists staying in vacation rentals that have been technically illegal for decades. HPD said "no can enforce" when there were giant beach parties but now they are patrolling the beaches and trails as undercovers here on the North Shore - guess they could enforce all along if they wanted to. Close all outdoor recreation while movie theaters remain open so people can go see... old movies I guess? Close forest service trails but Ala Moana mall is open and packed?

Now comes the pain. Kahuku hospital turned away two COVID positive patients yesterday experiencing severe shortness of breath and one broken arm from a skateboard accident. "Cannot handle, go to Castle or Queens and don't tell them you came here first." Except... Queens ICU is FULL. Pali Momi: FULL. Castle Hospital: FULL. Surgeon General is here because they know the grim reaper is here too. Plenty of people with underlying conditions, and a bunch of them are going to die. The feds wouldn't give two shits but Pacific Strategic Command is here, so uh oh, better do something.

Ige and Caldwell are a joke. This state re-elected Fozzy Bear after everybody thought they were going to die in a North Korean firestorm for half an hour because Ige can't remember his Twitter password. He seems like a nice man and by all accounts is squeaky clean, but a leader, he is not. Auwe.

Now everybody is getting it: this state is mismanaged, corrupt, and broken. The worst thing to be in Hawaii is a law abiding citizen. Playing by the rules here makes you one thing: a sucker. I hope the FBI doesn't stop at Miske and the Kealohas and rail. I hope they crawl up this state's ass and put a bunch of people in prison. Because they deserve it.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
the truth..

they aren't worried about the small mom and pop operations, they need to get the giant tourist engines restarted, the ones that employ hundreds if not thousands of employees. That's what they are focused on not small businesses that employ a dozen or so. It's the big hotels, and events that they are trying their best to get up and running again. People always say small businesses are important, but when it comes to dog eat dog, its the big ones who get the attention.

At the end of July the chamber claimed 900 local businesses have shut down. There was also mention by yelp of 40 restaurants in Hawaii who've closed for good.

A result of the recovery will be the loss of diversity and competition

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii

as I was zipping this video I immediately caught a familiar face during the part where they built and gave papa mau his own open ocean canoe. It was the face of David(Kawika) Eskaran one of my best friends from school. Didn't know he was part of that project but he did help BYU Hawaii build their own canoe many years later. He's the guy in the upper left of this screen capture. KSBE interviewed him about his career and he even talks about when he and I would hang out with Wright Bowman in intermediate school when we were boarders at Maude Post West. Here's the article and screen grab.

Kawika Eskaran

View attachment 96895

Thanks for sharing Oiwi TV videos! I used to write for them for 3 years about 5-6 years ago. Worked on a lot of pieces, met a lot of amazing people like the ones you featured. These guys won't talk about themselves at all. So hard to get them to open up because they view that as bragging.

I was a full time employee/writer for Oiwi but I worked remotely most of the week. I'd be in the office a few times a week but not enough to warrant a desk, so I'd work on the kitchen table. It works out great cause you end up working on everybody's stuff. A couple times a year Taika Waititi would come through Honolulu and work out of the office (this is before he became famous). He obviously didn't have a desk, so we would share the kitchen table. He was writing the first draft of Moana and would share tidbits with me. Disney didn't tell him it was going to be a blockbuster movie, he thought it was gonna be a cartoon series. He had Maui the God as a female. He got to talk story with Hawaii navigators who would come through the office and put direct info into Moana script.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Thanks for sharing Oiwi TV videos! I used to write for them for 3 years about 5-6 years ago. Worked on a lot of pieces, met a lot of amazing people like the ones you featured. These guys won't talk about themselves at all. So hard to get them to open up because they view that as bragging.

Funny story, I was a full time employee/writer for Oiwi but I worked remotely most of the week. I'd be in the office a few times a week but not enough to warrant a desk, so I'd work on the kitchen table. It works out great cause you end up working on everybody's stuff. A couple times a year Taika Waititi would come through Honolulu and work out of the office (this is before he became famous). He obviously didn't have a desk, so we would share the kitchen table. He was writing the first draft of Moana and would share tidbits with me. Disney didn't tell him it was going to be a blockbuster movie, he thought it was gonna be a cartoon series. He had Maui the God as a female. Super interesting guy who got to talk story with navigators who would come through the office and put direct info into Moana script.
They consulted a bunch of really interesting people for that film, Vilsoni Hereniko and Epeli Hau'ofa and a bunch of other Pacific scholars. I was pretty bummed that Jared Bush ended up with sole writing credit, but Waititi even admitted not much of his original draft remained.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
They consulted a bunch of really interesting people for that film, Vilsoni Hereniko and Epeli Hau'ofa and a bunch of other Pacific scholars. I was pretty bummed that Jared Bush ended up with sole writing credit, but Waititi even admitted not much of his original draft remained.
Yeah, I heard second hand that Taika distanced himself from it saying it wasn't anything like his.

Weird that Kandell's didn't get a credit either.

Last edited:

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
We had a chance to nip this in the bud. Lock it all down for six weeks. Quarantine visitors and returning residents in empty hotels. But no. Had to let everybody "self-quarantine" even tourists staying in vacation rentals that have been technically illegal for decades. HPD said "no can enforce" when there were giant beach parties but now they are patrolling the beaches and trails as undercovers here on the North Shore - guess they could enforce all along if they wanted to. Close all outdoor recreation while movie theaters remain open so people can go see... old movies I guess? Close forest service trails but Ala Moana mall is open and packed?

Now comes the pain. Kahuku hospital turned away two COVID positive patients yesterday experiencing severe shortness of breath and one broken arm from a skateboard accident. "Cannot handle, go to Castle or Queens and don't tell them you came here first." Except... Queens ICU is FULL. Pali Momi: FULL. Castle Hospital: FULL. Surgeon General is here because they know the grim reaper is here too. Plenty of people with underlying conditions, and a bunch of them are going to die. The feds wouldn't give two shits but Pacific Strategic Command is here, so uh oh, better do something.

Ige and Caldwell are a joke. This state re-elected Fozzy Bear after everybody thought they were going to die in a North Korean firestorm for half an hour because Ige can't remember his Twitter password. He seems like a nice man and by all accounts is squeaky clean, but a leader, he is not. Auwe.

Now everybody is getting it: this state is mismanaged, corrupt, and broken. The worst thing to be in Hawaii is a law abiding citizen. Playing by the rules here makes you one thing: a sucker. I hope the FBI doesn't stop at Miske and the Kealohas and rail. I hope they crawl up this state's ass and put a bunch of people in prison. Because they deserve it.
The FBI has investigations going on that do not stop at Miske, the Kealohas, and the rail. The Law Enforcement branches of the Federal Government can appear to move at a frustrating pace, at times taking years to file indictments. But, when they do, hard to fight any charges, as they are very good at making sure that they are ready to proceed and the charges are difficult, if not impossible to fight and beat. The Feds are still working on other potential cases in Hawaii where the documents were requested in 2018. The Miske investigation has been ongoing for years and the charges were just filed this year.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

Kawika Eskaran

View attachment 96895
That’s Billy Richards in the video too and on the screenshot. Lives Kailua. Nice guy. Used to live down the road from him.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Yeah, I heard second hand that Taika distanced himself from it saying it wasn't anything like his.

Weird that Kandell's didn't get a credit either.
Both Kandell's played high school water polo. I was their coach. Those two were team clowns who always had classic comments making fun of mostly adults. Coulda done more squats and deadlifts for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: hammies and racer1