Von Sol Shadow: Review and Pics

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
One of the best aspects of Sean’s board is that you can ride them n higher volume dims, like Sean does, and they’re still as high performance as most anyone needs.
Agreed. All his boards remain sensitive off of the tail regardless of size-within reason.

Reactions: JDJ

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
one of the best 2-board quivers I ever had years ago was a 5'4 Manta and a 5'11 Hornet. those boars worked everywhere around SD and Baja. never rode a Shadow but always wanted to try one.

Reactions: JDJ

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
high volume manta high volume shadow2 has been my quiver for a while...the one downside with my shadow2 is that it is really light and doesnt love super windy conditions..turns off the tail like an hpsb though.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I can't imagine the shadow 2 being better. The changes made are for economical reasons ie, the e-wing design is hard/expensive to shape and glass.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
(Vid says it all)
Shadow is still one of the most user friendly performance shapes I’ve ever had. I’ve had like 5 or 6 of various sizes and they scale up very well. Have a 6’2” currently, and have had 5’10”-6’7” versions. The Shadow2 is more shortboard-ish and likely better for more critical waves. Only thing I don’t like about most of the bigger (mid) Shadows is that when they get to 2 3/4 thickness, the rails are pretty chunky. I’d go 2 5/8 on any longer lengths or (if custom) specify more foiled rails on thicker boards.
Shadow is a proven, super versatile board.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
(Vid says it all)
Shadow is still one of the most user friendly performance shapes I’ve ever had. I’ve had like 5 or 6 of various sizes and they scale up very well. Have a 6’2” currently, and have had 5’10”-6’7” versions. The Shadow2 is more shortboard-ish and likely better for more critical waves. Only thing I don’t like about most of the bigger (mid) Shadows is that when they get to 2 3/4 thickness, the rails are pretty chunky. I’d go 2 5/8 on any longer lengths or (if custom) specify more foiled rails on thicker boards.
Shadow is a proven, super versatile board.
spot on. Ive also had several Shadows and def. a Swiss Army Knife type of board. When I was recovering from surgery I got a 7 footer and while it works its def. on the Chunky side. Cant seem to get the urge to sell it though LOL. Good Crowd Killer when busy out there.

Reactions: MathDebater and JDJ