Von Sol 'Flying Manta' stub groveler

surfMOMster

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 18, 2003
Redondo Ave's
I'm looking for fin advice for two Von Sols I recently acquired - 5'0" Manta (FCS2) and 4'11" Shadow (FCS).

I can't find the specs on the stilettos or the von knight sets to compare which set would be the most versatile for both boards.

I'm a light rider, 125lbs. Suggestions please.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
I'm looking for fin advice for two Von Sols I recently acquired - 5'0" Manta (FCS2) and 4'11" Shadow (FCS).

I can't find the specs on the stilettos or the von knight sets to compare which set would be the most versatile for both boards.

I'm a light rider, 125lbs. Suggestions please.
I like the von knight fiberglass raked fins in my 5'2 mantra (@165lbs).

The stillettos are a fave of mine but not in this little bitch i need that fin rake.

As Oslider said, the position of your nubster (if used at all) will greatly affect the ride.

Can we see some proofs you are a surfmom?
:D

Aug 25, 2020
Anybody here tried both Fling and Manta? I've had a Fling and loved it, curious to hear any comparisons. I know they are both good grovelers but from the outline seems like Fling would have a bit more range and performance, Manta would shine / win on the smaller waves? Thanks.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Anybody here tried both Fling and Manta? I've had a Fling and loved it, curious to hear any comparisons. I know they are both good grovelers but from the outline seems like Fling would have a bit more range and performance, Manta would shine / win on the smaller waves? Thanks.

yeah, that's exactly it. fling will hold better in turns. more of a stap manta imho. manta is dank af tho too.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Took the new 5'6" out for it's maiden voyage (with me) early afternoon and a reef that picks up some south but can be pretty burgery when it's small. Match made in heaven. Some of the sets were chest high with a nicely shaped first section, in those cases I felt like the board was nearing the limit of what I'll want to surf it in but JEEZE, on everything smaller than that it went insane. Cut back machine! I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to whip it around for the rebound too, didn't feel too squirrelly. Got a few more "vertical" turns and floats that felt good but definitely blew a few of those too. The speed on this thing is insane. Very stoked. My only complaint is that I haven't ridden a board this small in a long time (next closest is 5'8") and my back was feeling it.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Took the new 5'6" out for it's maiden voyage (with me) early afternoon and a reef that picks up some south but can be pretty burgery when it's small. Match made in heaven. Some of the sets were chest high with a nicely shaped first section, in those cases I felt like the board was nearing the limit of what I'll want to surf it in but JEEZE, on everything smaller than that it went insane. Cut back machine! I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to whip it around for the rebound too, didn't feel too squirrelly. Got a few more "vertical" turns and floats that felt good but definitely blew a few of those too. The speed on this thing is insane. Very stoked. My only complaint is that I haven't ridden a board this small in a long time (next closest is 5'8") and my back was feeling it.
So stoked you dig it!!!

Reactions: MathDebater

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Took out my 5'7 OG Manta this am in gutless thigh to waist high waves. Jeez. The board is just so damn fun.
I was looking way back on this thread and found my original post (I'm Adam33 but couldn't get back into that account for some reason) about my board. 8 years ago and this board is still kicking! Stringerless poly blank with Hydroflex glass.
I will cry when it finally goes.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Also took mine out this morning. The waves had decent peaks that tapered off quickly so I probably could've ridden something a little more DD'ish but I'm stoked on the manta so I went with it. So easy to catch waves and stupid speed. Loving it.

Aug 25, 2020
Haven't been able to try out a Manta yet, but have been on Mini Simmons and other Simmons inspired shapes like Mandala Superchunk, Hanel pil, etc. Anyone have experience with the Manta VS Mini Simmons? Would be great to hear a comparison. Just going by outline I was thinking a Mini Simmons would be faster and catch waves a bit easier excel more on the smaller wave range, Manta would have more maneuverability and have a bit more range / hold if the waves get bigger?

Last edited: