Von Sol 'Flying Manta' stub groveler

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Ha! That was my feeling when I air dropped on a head high wave and put my
front foot straight through the deck. Had surfed the absolute crap out of it every condition in multiple countries for several years, so it was bound to happen, but still crushed me. I actually had the board ‘copied’ by Sean before then knowing time was running out. The second is epic too, but not quite as magic as the OG. It’s in two pieces in my garage and I’ll likely take it to get reincarnated for the kids and for a beater.
Beachhouse ding repair is really great, got a buckled board fixed there and it still rocks. It was as close to broke in half as you can get without separating

Reactions: scdad

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
so whatz the consensus on fins?

my mantra still kinda slides on hard fs cutbacks. its that toe rail to heel rail transition i wanna smooth out. bigger nub?

running dvs quad keels with small nub

Jul 20, 2008
I personally LOVE the Stiletto fins in my Manta. I got them with the board and there is no need to try anything else. I occasionally add the nub if I need more grip.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I personally LOVE the Stiletto fins in my Manta. I got them with the board and there is no need to try anything else. I occasionally add the nub if I need more grip.
Are you using the upright stilettos or the Von Knight quad? Never tried stilettos in the Manta but I’ve heard some that swear by it. The board comes with the Von Knight set.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I dont remember what he said exactly but def. weeks on weeks. When CI comes in with over a 100+ boards to be done he gets pushed back.
Everyone is extremely backed up and slow right now, everyone. Then you add the fact that Sean’s boards are eps/epoxy and usually with some color, that also adds to the delay. If you’re a busy shop and CI drops off 100 PU to be glasses in clear PE, that’s much quicker and easier work, requiring less skill and time.

Reactions: Havoc and grg

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Everyone is extremely backed up and slow right now, everyone. Then you add the fact that Sean’s boards are eps/epoxy and usually with some color, that also adds to the delay. If you’re a busy shop and CI drops off 100 PU to be glasses in clear PE, that’s much quicker and easier work, requiring less skill and time.
Thats why he does MOSTLY resin colors these days. One less step which actually adds more than one step in the process.

Its not that its necessarily easier for them its that they are a way bigger account which equals Mo Money and job security.

Reactions: JDJ

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Agreed. I ordered a board in December from a popular shaper. Update was it needs boxes, hotcoat, sanding etc. It's a PU glassed epoxy, no color. If I went no Epoxy glass it would've been done weeks ago I bet. After this board, I'm taking a long break on ordering anything from anyone.

Reactions: JDJ