Von Sol 'Flying Manta' stub groveler

May 18, 2016
Want to get on here and praise the Manta again. I'm convinced it's hands down the best mini wave shortboard. Like a whole other level than the other grovelers out there in terms of how small/mushy the waves can be but you can still fly around. I don't know what I would do without my Manta.

Also, want to let you all know about a new fin setup I've dialed in for it which made the past few months even more fun on it. For years I had the Von Knight Quads that it came with. They go great, but always thought I could get a little better drive and hold if I dialed in something else. I tried the typical quad keel type fins, but I hated them. Could barely even surf the board it felt so dead under my feet and it wouldn't turn. I also don't like quad keels on other boards, for what it's worth, but this was another level.

So I came up with this custom setup and couldn't be happier...
Front Fins: Captain Fin Matt Archbold larges.​
These are the largest thruster fins on the market. Area of 17.43 is pretty much right in between a standard large sized thruster and a twin like the MRs. They also have a unique shape built for speed and drive. I'm only like 150 lbs, so these fins are way out of my weight range if I was using them normally.​
Rear Quads: Two MR trailer fins used as quads instead.​
Weird right? Well they work, perfectly. They balance out the the massive front fins and allow the board to still be lively and playful and pivot. I tried regular sized quads with the Archbolds but was a little too stiff. The MR trailers were perfect.​
I rock the nubster too, although it doesn't make a huge difference.​
And they worked so naturally that my first session on them I was ready to go. I didn't have to get used to them or anything. They just worked, and gave me the bit of extra hold and drive, but were still just as electric in the small waves. My wife tried them too and thought the same thing.

Same concept as a quad keel setup, but these actually work for me and they feel very similar to a regular quad set (quad keels are too drastically different imo). I know Sean and most people use the Von Sol Stilettos in the Manta. Those probably work great, but I haven't had a chance to try them. If anyone has an FCS2 or Futures Manta, I bet the Machado seaside quads would be interesting to try.

Thanks for letting me geek out

May 18, 2016
Are those rear quad fins 50/50 foiled?
Yeah they are 50/50. They are center fins from the FCS Mark Richards 2+1 setup. But they work just fine as quads apparently

p.s. having to post pics made me self conscious of the way my fins look so I spray painted the rears black today so the setup looks more legit :LOL:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Yeah they are 50/50. They are center fins from the FCS Mark Richards 2+1 setup. But they work just fine as quads apparently

p.s. having to post pics made me self conscious of the way my fins look so I spray painted the rears black today so the setup looks more legit :LOL:
Have you ever tried rear fins of the same size, but flat foiled? Maybe something like longboard side bites? I bet they'd go better than 50/50 foiled back there.