Volume Forward Performance Boards

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
I've recently been finding some success with volume forward boards with performance tails (HS Untitled & Ghost). Prior to these I've only ridden hybrid grovellers with this design.

I'm interested to hear about boards that have worked for others that like wide point and volume forward with a decent performance tail for hp turns. Not fishes or midlengths though.

I'm thinking HS Merlot/Holy Grail and Pyzel Phantom would be good. What else?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Pyzel Shadow for fun sized waves. Prefer it to the Phantom. Similar range but less nose width to get in the way.

JS Psycho Nitro is one I got this year that I really dig. Feels like a shortboard off the tail but has quite a bit of extra glide and stability forward. Not a full on groveler like a Fling or PJ but definitely has more of a performance feel in waves around waist/chest high and even above.

Reactions: Lohena

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Description of the Merlot is epic . Makes me want one
Outside of the incut outline the rest sounds like a Stamps shadow model

You would prolly love a MR style board too

Reactions: Lohena

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I had a merlot for a couple of years. Loved it... didn’t like waves smaller than chest high or bigger than 1.5x overhead But in between was great, especially waves with curve.

I tried a holy grail a few times. Hated it. One of the worst boarss I’ve ridden.

Currently have a HS untitled v2. I’ve only had it a couple of months but it seems as good as the merlot.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
I had a merlot for a couple of years. Loved it... didn’t like waves smaller than chest high or bigger than 1.5x overhead But in between was great, especially waves with curve.

I tried a holy grail a few times. Hated it. One of the worst boarss I’ve ridden.

Currently have a HS untitled v2. I’ve only had it a couple of months but it seems as good as the merlot.
Thanks Hazeus. Would you say you normally like volume forward designs?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Volume forward?
Comparatively, yes.

It’s not like the Ghost “family”. It basically moderated the trend of “a lot” of forward volume bringing it back towards (but not all the way) to early 2000s noses.

Remember the SP12? When that came out it was considered a volume forward design and now it looks “normal”.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Hypto isn't really that performant in anything outside of racing down big walls, it doesn't turn for sh!t.

Shadow is a really great every day HPSB in my opinion. I love mine. The phantom I like a lot too and could be a good choice between those two depending on what kind of waves you're surfing. If you order a custom you can cut down the width and it becomes more like a HPSB.

My Shadow is 6'0 x 19.25 x 2.56 and my Phantom is 5'11 x 19.25 x 2.56 and they end up being two pretty different boards.

Another line to look at is the lost retro ripper and retro gun. I've seen a few vids of the retro ripper and it looks inside. I've had a few retro guns and they're awesome. You could easily size one as a shortboard and it would go great. The sabotaj is a bit foam forward also.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Agree that Hypto isn't a traditional performance board but it certainly turns really well.

You need to adjust your foot placement, fins and approach. The narrow tail tends to be easily over finned. If you stick some smaller, upright template fins in, it works really well. Also twin+ trailer setups work.

You also need to scoot your back foot up a bit and let the board do a little more work. A couple of little adjustments and it becomes a different board. Check out Craig Anderson or Jake Kelly and watch the back foot placement.

Hypto isn't really that performant in anything outside of racing down big walls, it doesn't turn for sh!t.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Anybody ever feel like volume forward HPSB’s sacrifice a bit in performance? I’ve got a Ghost, Dhd sweet spot and a few other boards with volume and wide point front of center. What I notice is when I go for that wrenching, tight frontside turn in the pocket sometimes that volume under the front foot prevents the front half of board from sinking and redirecting as quickly as a traditional HPSB shape. Suppose it’s the sacrifice you make for the ease of paddling and glide you get with that volume up front. Just never hear anyone talk about the drawbacks.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Anybody ever feel like volume forward HPSB’s sacrifice a bit in performance? I’ve got a Ghost, Dhd sweet spot and a few other boards with volume and wide point front of center. What I notice is when I go for that wrenching, tight frontside turn in the pocket sometimes that volume under the front foot prevents the front half of board from sinking and redirecting as quickly as a traditional HPSB shape. Suppose it’s the sacrifice you make for the ease of paddling and glide you get with that volume up front. Just never hear anyone talk about the drawbacks.
It makes a board feel longer to me.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
CI Happy same concept. Not necessarily wide point forward but thickness foil pushed forward

also, OK @tedshred. we're gonna start confusing people posting in the same thread haha

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Having the wide point forward makes the board feel longer because that turning apex is further forward. So like a Ghost for instance, from wide point back has similar outline to a board at least a couple inches longer. Most of these designs also have lower entry rocker relative to "traditional" boards as well which further stiffens them up. They need to be ridden shorter IMO.

I have a CGD Jordy board that has a fairly normal, wide point centered or behind center outline, but it has a bit of thickness forward. The rocker is more balanced as well so it's not super low up front. It rides more like a board from 10+ years ago as far as being very back foot friendly and ready to turn but the added forward volume does seem to aid in paddling and wave catching although not to the point of something like a ghost.

Reactions: Billy Ocean and jkb

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Great point! I think this is spot on, there is definitely a trade off. For me I would say the volume forward boards I have do all the "basics" better like generate speed, flow between turns, and drive around sections, but cannot lay down turns as sharp or precise as standard hpsbs.

In contrast by far the best turns I've done this season have still been on my wide point back standard hpsb, but all the other "basics" are harder in less than perfect waves.

Looking for that right balance and I'm now intrigued by these types of designs.