Volume Forward Performance Boards

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Thanks Hazeus. Would you say you normally like volume forward designs?
Hi Lohena,
I've come to realise that I am; especially when coupled with a moderate to high tail rocker.

FYI I know Duffy mentioned the CI fever as a volume forward board - - - I have one and love it as well.

Reactions: Lohena

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Hi Lohena,
I've come to realise that I am; especially when coupled with a moderate to high tail rocker.

FYI I know Duffy mentioned the CI fever as a volume forward board - - - I have one and love it as well.
Cool, thanks Hazrus. I think the Merlot is moving up on my list of need to have sticks.

Surprised the HG didn't work for you as it seems like a classic volume forward with performance tail design. Luckily awayco has one near my surf spot so I can test it for myself someday.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Hypto isn't really that performant in anything outside of racing down big walls, it doesn't turn for sh!t.

Shadow is a really great every day HPSB in my opinion. I love mine. The phantom I like a lot too and could be a good choice between those two depending on what kind of waves you're surfing. If you order a custom you can cut down the width and it becomes more like a HPSB.

My Shadow is 6'0 x 19.25 x 2.56 and my Phantom is 5'11 x 19.25 x 2.56 and they end up being two pretty different boards.

Another line to look at is the lost retro ripper and retro gun. I've seen a few vids of the retro ripper and it looks inside. I've had a few retro guns and they're awesome. You could easily size one as a shortboard and it would go great. The sabotaj is a bit foam forward also.
Hey kool-aid, how does the Shadow compare with the Sabotaj with volume foward design aspects? If the Shadow had a round tail, which would you prefer in overhead somewhat challenging conditions for inner bar at the beach?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Hey kool-aid, how does the Shadow compare with the Sabotaj with volume foward design aspects? If the Shadow had a round tail, which would you prefer in overhead somewhat challenging conditions for inner bar at the beach?
The Sabotaj definitely outshines the Shadow in that area.

The Shadow is not great in powerful waves and gets overpowered easily in those conditions. The Shadow's rocker is based on the Phantom which is very much a small wave - average conditions board. I've had my Shadow out in conditions like that and usually end up wishing I had a different board. I can still have a good time but the board gets too fast and hard to control.

My ideal board for those conditions ends up being my 6'1 Sabotaj, 6'1 Radius or 6'2 Ghost. I rode the Radius and Ghost a lot more this season than the Lost for what it's worth.

I've seen images of round tail shadows and plan on asking Pyzel what the deal with them is and will probably order one for next season. But I expect it to be a novelty shape that just extends the range of the Shadow somewhat. Probably best for softer waves on the inner or outer bars.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
The Sabotaj definitely outshines the Shadow in that area.

The Shadow is not great in powerful waves and gets overpowered easily in those conditions. The Shadow's rocker is based on the Phantom which is very much a small wave - average conditions board. I've had my Shadow out in conditions like that and usually end up wishing I had a different board. I can still have a good time but the board gets too fast and hard to control.

My ideal board for those conditions ends up being my 6'1 Sabotaj, 6'1 Radius or 6'2 Ghost. I rode the Radius and Ghost a lot more this season than the Lost for what it's worth.

I've seen images of round tail shadows and plan on asking Pyzel what the deal with them is and will probably order one for next season. But I expect it to be a novelty shape that just extends the range of the Shadow somewhat. Probably best for softer waves on the inner or outer bars.
Great insight, thanks for sharing!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'm fairly certain the Fever is wide point back from center by a few inches. Can the volume be forward with the wide point back?

The Fever seems much different than the Ghost with volume and wide point forward of center.
wide nose

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Just found out about this Roberts Black Cobra. Has wide point forward, but also decent amout of rocker. Seems interesting, not sure I've seen a design like this. Also an option for XTR.

Any thoughts on this, or even on Roberts in general? I'm not familiar.

https://www.robertssurf.com/black-cobra.html#/
Robert is a pretty cool dude. His rail work is some of the best, in my opinion anyway. I was looking for a Starchip in my size but couldn't find it, so I met with him when he did his east coast tour, and ordered a 5'7 Epoxy Starchip, with a $100 discount. Took 2 months, I think, to get the custom, but it is a really fun board to ride. I think I would prefer XTR construction over the stringered EPS , for more durability, but i'm still a bit unsure if the XTR blanks make it to the actual shaper to be finished before glassing. Ironically, while talking to him, he pulled a Black Cobra off the rack of the local shop I was in and showed it to me, during our conversation. The dims would have made it a step up for me, and in hind sight, I wish I took it home. It seemed like a pretty well foiled shape, for large surf.

Edit: I am pretty sure one of his shapes was in a Stab in The Dark episode

Last edited:
Reactions: Aardwolf

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
To be direct
Mr Bass - "Sacred Craft" and his latest item Mr Freeman both support a design thief and "Story" teller

Both will say whatever to promote themselves .

This helps no one except themselves

China really farked our lives

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Unless I missed it, i'm surprised no one mentioned the Rusty shapes like the Slayer, Slayer 2, and the Blackbird. I was looking at those closely before I ordered my XTR Ghost.

I have a 5'10 Fever in Spinetek. I only rode it once so far, so I can't really say anything about the ride yet. I picked it up because I wanted a longer, and narrower shape for bigger waves. Was hoping a board with a few inches longer than my height would handle some of the larger walled up surf a little better. Unfortunately I have not seen any of the conditions I bought it for, since I purchased it last winter.

Last edited:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
wide nose
The Fever has a pretty narrow nose.

I just ordered an example of a volume forward HPSB with wide point back from center. Rusty Model 8. Out of curiosity, I compared its nose width with a lot of other HPSBs (mostly from Rusty and CI) measuring 6'2 x 19.5, and it took the cake (12.77'). CI's board builder has a compare function that shows nose and tail width measurements. Fever nose is narrowest at (11 7/8), and I compared it to the Black and White (12 5/16), Girabbit (12 1/16), Peregrine, Happy (12 1/16), DFR (12) as well as Rusty's Yes Thanks.

Anyway, I went an inch shorter than my height on the Model 8 due to the wide nose, which comes in at a whopping 12 3/4, same as the Neck Beard 2. It also has a narrower tail than any of the boards above, which is an interesting combination. Really curious how this thing rides.

Reactions: Aardwolf and Lohena

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Exactly, but actually the Fever has a pretty narrow nose.
relative.

compare the fever to the original mbm, proton, tangent, etc.

sh!t got really wide up front for awhile snd the fever pulled back from that a bit but it’s still wider in the nose than earlier boards.

the SP12 was touted as having a wider nose and that board looks ‘normal’ now.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
To be direct
Mr Bass - "Sacred Craft" and his latest item Mr Freeman both support a design thief and "Story" teller

Both will say whatever to promote themselves .

This helps no one except themselves

China really farked our lives
That was quite a douche fest. Yank each other and promote each other. I want my 51 minutes back. I'd be pissed too at that lame comment at the end. Bass summoned it up, "Surfers are the worst." Based on that podcast those two sound like perfect exemplars

"Keep it real" isn't a mantra that pops into my mind.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Unless I missed it, i'm surprised no one mentioned the Rusty shapes like the Slayer, Slayer 2, and the Blackbird. I was looking at those closely before I ordered my XTR Ghost.

I have a 5'10 Fever in Spinetek. I only rode it once so far, so I can't really say anything about the ride yet. I picked it up because I wanted a longer, and narrower shape for bigger waves. Was hoping a board with a few inches longer than my height would handle some of the larger walled up surf a little better. Unfortunately I have not seen any of the conditions I bought it for, since I purchased it last winter.
Slayer 2 looks interesting. Anybody have any feedback on its performance?