Vissla Wetsuits

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
Who's had a Vissla and what do you think?

I like xcel (I know a lot of people who don't) and held one up with a Vissla and if they didn't have the logos you would think they were the same brand made in the same factory. The Xcel was $150 more.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
They probably are made in the same factory.

Here's an australian podcast wetsuit review episode, that speaks very highly of them.

https://lippedsurferspodcast.libsyn.com/2019-wetsuit-guide

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I have used them - excellent value. Better than Need. Mine have lasted two seasons.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
I like mine. Main thing 4 me is it fits like xcel . not as warm but it was half the price

Would buy again

The new line looks great

https://www.vissla.com/shop/shop/north-seas-4-3-full-suit/

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I have a 4/3 Vissla and it's fine, I bought it because I was traveling and it was cold and I needed a 4/3 immediately, but my 4/3 Xcels are both warmer and more flexible. Mostly more flexible. The Vissla feels much more constricting.

For the money it's OK. I wear a 4/3 so much though that I'd rather wait for the Xcel Drylocks to go on sale over the summer.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Had a vissla north seas hooded 5.5/4.5 last winter, it was warmer than the last decade plus of xcels ive had fresh suit every winter), it also lasted the whole season compared to xcels shîtting their seams after 6-8weeks.

It did have a few weird flush issues but still, I literally didn’t get cold once, I think it might be the little drain holes on the chest letting water in occasionally.

My grom’s vissla suits have been warmer than his past xcels also.

Will buy again this winter for sure.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Here's an article that explains where almost all of the bigger brand wetsuits are made.

https://stabmag.com/news/every-wetsuit-youve-ever-owned-was-made-by-these-guys/

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Key point is that although they make the materials they customize each:

"What’s amazing, is that Sheico contract-manufactures for various top brands but manages to customise components so that each can have its own look and feel"

So the idea that because it's made in the same factory that it's the same suit for less money isn't necessarily 100% accurate.

You can make a Chevy and a Cadillac on the same line but the choice of materials etc is going to define the brand.

In any case the Vissla I have doesn't really hold a candle to the Xcel but for the money, I wouldn't expect it to.

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
nightfly said:
For the money it's OK. I wear a 4/3 so much though that I'd rather wait for the Xcel Drylocks to go on sale over the summer.
Where are you that you're wearing a 4/3 so much?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
The Clymb is having a sale on Xcel wetsuits right now

Been using Infiniti Comps as my go to 4/3 for 6 years now, only needed 2 of them over this time period

Might bite the bullet and buy a Feral 4/3 for this winter

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
sozzle said:
Had a vissla north seas hooded 5.5/4.5 last winter, it was warmer than the last decade plus of xcels ive had fresh suit every winter), it also lasted the whole season compared to xcels shîtting their seams after 6-8weeks.
Can I assume you surf more than a few times a week and don't care for your suit by rinsing it after every surf since you get a new one each year?

I say that because I have to make my suits last a few seasons so I dunk it in fresh water after every surf, surf maybe twice a week in the winter and 2-4 times a week in the summer and my last Xcel Drylock lasted me 4 winters and still has life with the seams still going strong. My only issue was I wore out the wrist seal and that's where water is flushing in.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I've been pretty happy with my Vissla suits. I have: 7 Seas 3/2 that's lasted two seasons, North Seas 4/3 that looks perfect for another season, 7 Seas 2/2 SS that's on its second season and a 1mm LS jacket on its second season.

No issues with anything. The only thing maybe worth mentioning is the fuzzy liner on the full suits can be a tad bid itchy every once in a while.

I've been getting them through a shop hookup which makes the price even better, but I wouldn't hesitate to pay MSRP. My 2017 Xcel Drylock's armpit seams blew-out in one season and the smoothy collar had several fingernail half-moon cuts which is a testament to how fragile that material they're using is, since my nails are always super short. Xcel was very good about the warranty repair.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
New York.

Usually late October through beginning of January (when there is a good amount of swell and I'm surfing a lot) and then again in April/May when the water hasn't warmed up much yet.

The 4/3 Hooded Drylock is maybe the best suit I've ever bought. Great for days where cold offshores chill you out quickly but it's bombing. In a warm year can wear into real winter.

My 4/3s and 5/4s usually last a few seasons. But I'm walking straight into my shower and taking them off and it's too cold to dry them outside.

ReefTeef said:
nightfly said:
Where are you that you're wearing a 4/3 so much?

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
ReefTeef said:
sozzle said:
Can I assume you surf more than a few times a week and don't care for your suit by rinsing it after every surf since you get a new one each year?

I say that because I have to make my suits last a few seasons so I dunk it in fresh water after every surf, surf maybe twice a week in the winter and 2-4 times a week in the summer and my last Xcel Drylock lasted me 4 winters and still has life with the seams still going strong. My only issue was I wore out the wrist seal and that's where water is flushing in.
Pretty careful with them, rinsed in warm fresh water after every session and drip dryed in a warm room in the winter, most of the crew I surf with have fresh xcel suits that are leaking after 2 months every winter if there’s consistent waves,

This may well be a winter 5/4 suit issue though as my thinner summer xcels do actually last several seasons,

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
3/2 7Seas fullsuit was great value for price. Highly recommend.
4/3 North Seas had some QC issues and design quirks. Not very flexible either. Would skip that "premium" line for the price

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
Yeah, I wear a 3/2 almost all year unless I'm wearing a top so that's prob it. When I lived in NJ my 5/4's lasted a season or two also. I think because they are not as flexible/ stretchy it's harder on the seams is my guess.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Think also depends on level of suit within manufacturers line. I have nothing bad to say about Xcel Drylocks but I hated the two Revolts I had. The rumor was they were prior years Drylock tech but I found them to be much worse suits. Not as warm, fell apart faster, etc.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
A little off the track of this subject but when do the new model suits start coming to market? Specifically Rip Curl and Isurus? I am in the market but don't want to purchase just to have the new ones come in right after.

More on topic, I had an excel drylock and it was very stiff especially compared to Rip Curl Flashbomb. Have an Isurus 4/3 hooded front zip which is in the middle of the RC and Excel flexibility wise but by far the warmest 4/3 I have ever worn and pretty sure the best quality (likely last a few seasons)-still I am considering getting the all 3 mill zipless/hooded Isurus (different material from 4/3) or 4/3 RC heatseeker zipfree to enjoy better flex. Never tried Visla but always thought it would be very flexible from less stitching.