Vissla High Seas 4/3 No Zip quick review

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I grabbed one of these on Thanksgiving at Jack's (only store that had my size) for $203.08 out the door. I barely had to ask for an additional 10% off on top of the storewide 20%.

Probably not for anyone that's complaining about chest-zips being a pain to get in and out of, but for me; it's probably easier to get in/out of than my North Seas 4/3 chest zip from two seasons ago. The only thing that takes some adjustment is tilting your head to get the neck closure over from the side, which takes a little additional tweaking compared to getting over your head from the back.

A few weeks ago I tried on an O'Neill Hyperfreak 3/2 zipless and that was obviously stretchier than the Vissla, but I wanted a new 4/3 and O'Neill is purportedly having the most trouble getting new wetsuits into shops right now, so I started looking at other brands.

Rip Curl's E-Bomb zip-free in a 3/2 was more difficult to get in/out of than the 4/3 Vissla and was also confirmation that I can't wear Rip Curls with my build. I'm 6', 165-170 lbs. (depending on IPA consumption) and wear an MT in almost every brand. The Rip Curl's arms stop about 1 1/2" short of my wrist. My 13 year old daughter has the same issue with Rip Curl. We may be part chimpanzee.

Besides the no-zip entry and the material on the upper torso/arms, not much has changed to the lower part of the suit, but the new material used in the upper area is definitely stretchier than what was used in the past. The suit is definitely less restricting compared to to their 4/3 chest zip from 2018/2019. In mid-upper 50's water I was perfectly warm (without booties). There isn't any smoothie, so I'm not sure how warm it'd be in the low 50's with howling wind, but for typical colder Southern California conditions, I think it's a pretty good bang for the buck suit.