Visiting Kauai

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Kalihiwai
Hanalei,(outside from the Hanalei River) PineTree's,(no sand bars yet created = dumping) "Middles" or any beach breaks
Secrets: no surf, lookout for rip currents, folks have drowned there.
** Brown water conditions from the rain can/ will be sketchy** for Leptospirosis**

Hanalei Surf Company for board rentals or maybe Tamba Surf Company in Kapa'a.
There may be Tours still going down the coast to do the Napali Tours out of Hanalei but most tours Stop at the end of October due to the probabillity of large surf conditions and safety.

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Got out of work early when there was a bit of light left and went to the beach.
Hanalei Bay, 3 - 5, a bit wonky, yet folks were coming in at last light.
PineTree's was just a dumping beach break,2 -4+. Folks were surfing the Pier on the pinetree's side.T'was a shrug your shoulders contemplation. I opted for a beer from the Hanalei Liquor Store. Go buy a T-shirt from there. Hanalei town is really slow right now. Not many tourist coming out in the evening to eat. It's a "pucker factor" for restaurant owners and other's as well. But it always is. Sept, Oct and Nov are slow periods before the "holidays" pick up in December.

40% possibilities of rain for Tuesday. Rain for 10 - 15 minutes and the sun comes back out. Don't let it push you around! And btw, the water looked pretty clean this evening. I guess that it didn't rain that much up in the mountains, but that could all change tonight if it rains hard. Ya should have been here last week. Sun n' fun dayz.
Go early to "secrets". Parking is at a premium. Watch the ocean. We still got *high surf advisorys*. High Tide tops off at 0919 hrs. Watch the ocean down there. NW swell sweeps through there and the rip will take you to Japan. Take h20 with ya.

If you can't get a boat down the coast to Na Pali from Hanalei, Capt Andy's is one of 4 companies that run out of the South side I believe depending on your time left here. Or your could try Kauai Back Country Adventures for there famous inner-tube rides through the old waterways that once fed the sugar cane fields within that community from reservoirs deep in the back country. Be advised, the water is Cold, mountain water, but it's fun. GP rated.

Safe Travels ~

Last edited:

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Reviving this thread because I'm in Kapa'a on a last-second week in Kauai with my GF. Not much of a clue where to surf other than the internet research results, going to look at CL for a board and take a look at Kealia - would love other suggestions or to buy rounds if anyone is local.

Everyone says Hanalei is visitor-friendly, but from the videos I've seen, probably more crowded/competitive than I'm looking for. I'm an intermediate surfer, I surfed good sized pipe when i was 18 but i'm out of shape now, goofy foot and will be on a rental or CL board; i was going to look for swell wrap ...

I've never considered looking for a surf guide, but my GF suggested looking for surf-foil lessons :rolleyes::geek:... the waves out front of my place in Kapaa actually look pretty good for that...

We're going to try to catch a boat ride to Napali coast out of Hanalei, to hike Awa'awapuhi and to Secret / Kauapea Beach

I have a relatively open schedule; here until Friday (11/8) - there's a ton of swell in the water. Have the keep the GF happy but can probably dedicate a day or three to surfing...
Try the breaks on the other side of the bay. Middles, Chicken wing, etc.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Hey PPK, what do you think about the paddle out to the bowl? I've been to Kauai 7 or 8 times now and only surfed there once because of the distance and because I've mostly been by myself (Usually just end up surfing pinetrees or kealia if the wind is light). Used to think it was relatively safe until I heard someone got hit there last winter a few weeks after I left.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Lots of variables to look at to your question. Yes, it's a good paddle to get out there. Not that bad really for the wave that you'll be surfing. Folks paddling back out through the middle of the surf zone or trying to move left while paddling to beat a person surfing a wave and not have to duck dive the white water or just wrong time / wrong place. It just happens sometimes and angry words fly or someone can, get hurt.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Lots of variables to look at to your question. Yes, it's a good paddle to get out there. Not that bad really for the wave that you'll be surfing. Folks paddling back out through the middle of the surf zone or trying to move left while paddling to beat a person surfing a wave and not have to duck dive the white water or just wrong time / wrong place. It just happens sometimes and angry words fly or someone can, get hurt.
Try the back channel on the hideaways side.