Vintage Stewart Hydro Hull

Oct 20, 2019
Greetings! New to the forum, and actually new to the sport. As a snowboarder, wakeboarder, and (former, terrible) skateboarder, Surfing has always been on my list of things to learn, but living in landlocked Pennsylvania hasn’t made that easy. After a recent trip to California my desire to learn was reignited and I ended up finding a “vintage” Stewart Hydro Hull on Craigslist just a few miles away. My plan is to put the time into this board over the winter to repair the dings a slight delamination and get it out on the water next summer. Might be a beater, but it’s my beater.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019
Somebody fill me in... why is this such a bad idea? Again, I’m new to all this so if the board is going to disintegrate the second it hits salt water or something it would be good to know now so I can slap it on the wall, call it art, and buy a new board.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
If the board is at least 6 inches taller than you are and barely fits under your arm it should be just right for you. Those weren't bad boards back in the day. Had a couple of friends that ripped on them. Throw some 5 minute epoxy in those holes and go surf it.

Oct 20, 2019
If the board is at least 6 inches taller than you are and barely fits under your arm it should be just right for you. Those weren't bad boards back in the day. Had a couple of friends that ripped on them. Throw some 5 minute epoxy in those holes and go surf it.
Finally, a solid answer. By those standards it fits perfectly and I will do just that... patch it up then surf it. Down the road it will get replaced, but I thought it was a cool old board that had some history... and who can argue with it for $30.

Oct 20, 2019
There are two roughly 6”x6” areas of delam under where the traction pad once was... is that worth addressing if the holes that originally let the water in are plugged? I don’t mind putting the work in, but won’t bother if it’s not worth it.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
By the time that thing takes in enough water to no longer be functional, you'll probably be ready for a new board. Or, you may not even like that one -- it may not suit whatever surfing needs develop. I'd do minimal work, let it die an honorable death, and remember it fondly when it's gone.

Reactions: GromsDad