Viewpoint

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, very likable for a pro surfer, almost as if he doesn't understand why anyone wants to watch him surf. I'm assuming he's pretty well set from his Quik $$$, if he managed it well. Guys like him (Bruce and a few others) are so interesting because on talent they could win a world title, but just can't seem to figure out contest heats- which 95% of regular surfers can relate to. Didn't Dane make a WCT final (France?) or two, and lose to KS or AI?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Dane: ' Like, like like likelike like, like, likelikelikelikelike like. Likelike, like like like like like. Like like, but, likelike like LIKElike like. '

Fuck me, do you all, like, speak like that... like?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Dane: ' Like, like like likelike like, like, likelikelikelikelike like. Likelike, like like like like like. Like like, but, likelike like LIKElike like. '

fook me, do you all, like, speak like that... like?
he didn't graduate high school, doesn't have the strongest grasp on the english language, but there's some underlying intelligence. most surfers wouldn't philosophize on the ethics of lineup etiquette, especially the ego maniac "pro" kind. his use of the word “like” irks me a bit too, still doesn’t discount him as being a good guy
:drowning:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Dane’s gift is the way he surfs. Not public speaking.

I had posted here about knowing the Florences, Alex and her boys through skateboarding. When John got on tour and interviewed after winning heats he sounded slow(what’s the pc term). I recall getting a couple of pm’s asking if he was a dunce. My reply was no he’s shy and pretty smart. Finished his home schooling early and got emancipated so he could make his own decisions. I haven’t seen him in awhile but see Alex and Ivan skating every so often. I should ask her. But my guess is he either got comfortable answering those inane questions through repetition or Hurley/Nike got him a speaking coach.

I guess some of you want our surf stars to be like a hot chick who cleans and can cook. Haha

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
When I worked on tour, Dane was exactly how he seems, I wouldn't even describe him as approachable, because he would often be the one to initiate conversation. Genuinely curious about other people and outside of the pro surfing bubble. Humble both in and out of the water. Still my favorite surfer to watch by far

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
About the 9:45-10 min mark, where he talks about if surfboards even need innovation. Interesting and I highly agree with his points. Boards are so refined, been there, done that, still more or less work about the same for the bottom 99% to even tell if new innovation even works! Its more a dog and pony show these days, flavor of the month club, bs walks and talks show!

Reactions: need 4 speed

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
he didn't graduate high school, doesn't have the strongest grasp on the english language, but there's some underlying intelligence. most surfers wouldn't philosophize on the ethics of lineup etiquette, especially the ego maniac "pro" kind. his use of the word “like” irks me a bit too, still doesn’t discount him as being a good guy
:drowning:
You read far too much into my response. I said his verbal ticks / habits are annoying. There was no underlying implication that he's stupid, or like, unlikeable .

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
probably the only surfer on Tour to have read a book in the last 20 years.

He's a fan of John Fante, thats pretty sick.
A book other than Harry Potter - some of them read that. Also it seems like 2/3 of the women's tour is literate.

Dane seems introspective and capable of consideration. Some people are completely mystified by the notion of not trying to catch every wave you could possibly contest the takeoff for. I'll see them at a busy spot, two people about to split a peak, and they're trying to claim priority from the farther shoulder because they're the deepest for their frontside. You can basically forget splitting a peak. You can quickly say you want to switch spots to go the other direction, but when you move to scoot around so you can split it, they try to defend deepness.

One time a peak came in and I took a two banger right and let the person next to me get a nicer, longer left in full view of one of these types. I'm a goofyfoot. Trying to explain that the right thing to do is split the peak as it came naturally, even if you get the less desirable direction backside, was an exercise in futility. 2 turns on the right + say 4 turns on the left = 2 people 6 turns, where greedtarding = 1 person 4 turns. "But you could have claimed deeper for the left". Yes I respond. And they could have claimed deeper for the right and then stubborn greed kookery ensues.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Wasn’t there a Top44 West Oz guy in the 90’s that shaped his own boards for the tour? Tony Ray? Antman? Glen Winton?
Following that...
I wonder: which top shaper is the best surfer right now? I’ve probably seen the most footage of Tomo. He certainly rips. Burch?