Vegan influencer comes clean

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I don't remember, but it wasn't one of the popular ones.

I just saw a really good one though called "The Game Changers" on Netflix. It's produced by James Cameron, Novak Djokovic and Chris Paul. It's about James Wilks (UFC) journey to plant based and plant based athletes: Nate Diaz, Bryant Jennings, Arnold Schwartz, Scott Jurek, Alex Honnold, NFL players, etc.
that was a terrible piece of anti-scientific vegan propaganda.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Plant based?

wtf does that even mean?

My diet is plant based.....I eat mostly plants. I eat fish I catch, and eggs from ducks and chickens I keep. Those animals are insane at recycling nutrients into bio-available from, as humans over millennia figured out.

To replace the animal proteins from eggs and fish that are immediately available to me at basically zero ecological cost I'd have to clear a lot of land to grow the equivalent in soybeans or lentils.

Thats if I did it myself, otherwise I'd have to outsource it to farms with a much higher ecological cost.

Far as health goes, replacing the micro-nutrients, long chain fatty acids etc etc from the fish/eggs with plant food is much, much harder if you eschew supplements.

The external supplement regime of those athletes in Game Changers was not mentioned but I bet it would be significant.

the vegan diet is pretty much an expensive indulgence for rich, western people.

Reactions: Havoc

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Plant based?

wtf does that even mean?

My diet is plant based.....I eat mostly plants. I eat fish I catch, and eggs from ducks and chickens I keep. Those animals are insane at recycling nutrients into bio-available from, as humans over millennia figured out.

To replace the animal proteins from eggs and fish that are immediately available to me at basically zero ecological cost I'd have to clear a lot of land to grow the equivalent in soybeans or lentils.

Thats if I did it myself, otherwise I'd have to outsource it to farms with a much higher ecological cost.

Far as health goes, replacing the micro-nutrients, long chain fatty acids etc etc from the fish/eggs with plant food is much, much harder if you eschew supplements.

The external supplement regime of those athletes in Game Changers was not mentioned but I bet it would be significant.

the vegan diet is pretty much an expensive indulgence for rich, western people.
I guess you guys don’t have elk over there, kangaroo semen supplements?

For my wife and I we could 50% live off the land with 1 hectare but it would be a hellish amount of work even when we were young, which we’re not. Expensive too.

You’ve read Mosquito Coast? Like that without FatBoy.

Here’s a few related videos

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
@freeride76 I respect your opinions in your post and do what works for you, but one push back: what parts do you think are expensive?

In my experience, it's cheaper. I don't do much "fake meat" stuff.

I don't do any supplements or feel the need to.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Beyond Meat
My wife got some of those from Costco. I gave it a go because why not.

Tasted like a McRib without the sauce. And for $9/lb.

Pass.

Make it taste good and cost LESS than standard ground beef and then we'll talk. Hilariously horrible business model but so is picking up Chris Paul in Fantasy Basketball. So I guess the universe is balanced.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I know.

I get it.

Animals don't have rights but I think humans should try to treat then humanly if they can.

My meat guy does.
I get most of my dead animal flesh from these guys.....

I get ribs and whole chicken from these guys...

I get my fish from these guys...

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
if you're eating rice and lentils/beans it's cheap as fcuk.

soon as you try and spruce it up or add "vegan" food .....any kind of protein supplements, or fake meats or even organic veggies, costs add up quickly.

You can eat very simple, basic veggie diet but it's incredibly boring.....making it interesting usually adds costs. "pimping" salads for eg.

Lunch for me: piece of fish I caught 5 minutes from the house, squeeze of lemon, half an avo, and a simple green salad from the garden.

Reactions: Havoc and racer1

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
My wife got some of those from Costco. I gave it a go because why not.

Tasted like a McRib without the sauce. And for $9/lb.

Pass.

Make it taste good and cost LESS than standard ground beef and then we'll talk. Hilariously horrible business model but so is picking up Chris Paul in Fantasy Basketball. So I guess the universe is balanced.
That stuff is not good for you.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
@freeride76 I hear you. All that fake meat, trendy bullshit is expensive and capitalizing on the trend.

I keep it very simple: vegetables, rice, beans, nuts, fruits, pasta, tortillas, noodles. Meals are influenced by Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Vietnamese, Greek and Ethiopian. Make our own dressings and sauces. It's very inexpensive.

There's a vegetarian buffet near us that is run by Filipino women. They make some of the most amazing and creative stuff from every culinary style. We go over there to try things and then copy them at home.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Post script: I think the environmental impacts of going vegan are largely overstated, inaccurate and not scientifically provable.

The bigger environmental impact is how convenient food is these days (regardless of meat, vegan, whatever). Like why are strawberries available year around in every major grocery store?

Reactions: afoaf

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Post script: I think the environmental impacts of going vegan are largely overstated, inaccurate and not scientifically provable.

The bigger environmental impact is how convenient food is these days (regardless of meat, vegan, whatever). Like why are strawberries available year around in every major grocery store?
Depends where you are.

Living in a big western city then vegan is probably better than meat, depending on what access you have to local foods.

For me, and anyone who can live off the land and sea, growing/catching your own food is far smaller footprint.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
If you go to a restaurant and they have a few vegan/vegetarian options, the worst one - without fail - is whatever one uses fake meat.