Vegan influencer comes clean

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
You volunteer information about your diet and then complain about people supposedly always wanting to know about what you eat.

Slight disconnect here...
Constantly talking about it? “Volunteering” in a thread about being vegan? I missed the complaining part too.

duffman, what the hell are you even talking about?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Also, the increases commonly cited are increases in relative risk, not absolute.
After they did the ultrasound on my wife when she was pregnant with our first, the nurse came in and told my wife that because of the size of the baby's kidneys that the chances of Down's was 30% above average and she needed to get an amniocentesis.

My wife was devastated. Totally terrified. Thinking that she was looking at a 1 in 3 chance at either having a drooler or getting vacuumed. Bummed, bummed, bummed.

I, however, can do math!

So I looked at the nurse and asked, "30% above average chances of Down's?"

She nodded gravely and said "Yes".

So I asked "What are the average chances of having a baby with Down's?"

The nurse looked at me like I was the hugest asshole in the world and said, "Excuse me?"

I repeated the question and the nurse admitted she didn't know. I asked her to find out. It took her a while to come back and say that it was something like one in a thousand.

I did the math and asked the nurse, "So you're saying that the odds are better than 99% that my wife's kid is totally healthy?"

The nurse again looks at me like I am the hugest asshole in the world (ok, I am, but that's beside the point here), and once again says "Excuse me?".

So I did the math for her. A couple of times a couple of different ways until I saw the light bulb come on in her head. Finally, the nurse conceded that the chances of my wifes kid being a drooler were sooper-dooper tiny! Not even worth considering really.

It was pretty cool watching the relief wash over my wifes face, but it was quickly replaced by one of serious pissed-offness as she asked the nurse why she had scared her like that.

At that point a very pissed off nurse stormed out of the room again.

PS - Almost every nurse I've ever interacted with has been incredible and I generally trust them FAR more than the arrogant prick doctors they have to deal with day-in and day-out. Thanks to all of you nurses for what you do!

Reactions: grapedrink

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
which doco?
I don't remember, but it wasn't one of the popular ones.

I just saw a really good one though called "The Game Changers" on Netflix. It's produced by James Cameron, Novak Djokovic and Chris Paul. It's about James Wilks (UFC) journey to plant based and plant based athletes: Nate Diaz, Bryant Jennings, Arnold Schwartz, Scott Jurek, Alex Honnold, NFL players, etc.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Game Changers is full of half truths, lies by omission, and intellectual sleight of hand. They strategically use the term "plant-based" in place of "vegan" for that reason. For example, Nate Diaz is not a vegan, although he eats lots of plants with small amounts of animal protein. They also left out the fact that Connor McGregor beat Nate in the rematch.

I don't doubt that there are people out there who excel and feel their best, at their most optimal potential, on a 100% vegan diet. Although there are numerous examples of athletes who have gone vegan, saw a downturn in performance, then switched back. Or even regular people who saw signs of nutrient deficiency, downturns in energy level, etc. IMO what's optimal for most people is a whole food based hybrid of "plant based" but with small-to-moderate amounts of animal protein. Most people do not have the knowledge and discipline to get all of their nutritional bases covered on a 100% vegan diet, or at least not without supplementation.

It's also important to note that James Cameron has invested $140M in a new vegan supplement company and his wife owns private schools that are 100% vegan. Follow the money.

It is a very well done documentary though.

Reactions: racer1

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Haha, I knew that was coming but didn't think it'd be that quick.

Do what works best for you. It's just food.

Chris Paul and Novak are millions into Beyond Meat as well.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Haha, I knew that was coming but didn't think it'd be that quick.

Do what works best for you. It's just food.

Chris Paul and Novak are millions into Beyond Meat as well.
Haha no worries. I just happened to be taking an interweb break. I honestly don't care, and you seem like a healthy dude. I'm all for everyone doing what's best for them.

I've certainly dealt with a lot of prosthelitizing vegans (which I know you aren't) getting in my face, so maybe I'm triggered by it. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I don't know any vegans, or even any vegetarians other than me and my family.

I think meat eaters often like to talk about veganism more than vegans, as evidenced by the two threads on erbb right now.

I'm like 26 years in on the vegetarian thing, don't ever think about it, and will out paddle most all of you!:D

Reactions: Havoc and racer1

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've certainly dealt with a lot of prosthelitizing vegans
Those types are beyond lame. I honestly don't even like telling people because I can see in their expression they anticipate that I'm going to start on some self important rant and try to talk them into it.

The only person I fuck around with is my Boomer Father-in-Law who eats one giant meal a day of mostly meat. But it's part of a bigger emotional / mental ongoing war that I have with him.

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
I don't know any vegans, or even any vegetarians other than me and my family.

I think meat eaters often like to talk about veganism more than vegans, as evidenced by the two threads on erbb right now.

I'm like 26 years in on the vegetarian thing, don't ever think about it, and will out paddle most all of you!:D
Any breathe holding or meating to anyone's faces to go along with this paddling comp?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc