Varial heat gun for removing pressure dings "caution"

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I've had two Varial boards, a used Surf Rx "F-Money" several years ago and my current CI NB2. When I picked up my NB2 I mentioned to Parker (one of the owners of Varial) about how I'd heard about using a heat-gun to take out random dents and that it worked surprisingly well for the Surf Rx when I went to sell it. He said that method does work, but they wouldn't recommend it for weight-bearing areas. I've mentioned it a couple of times around these parts and Varial posted a quick vid on their IG a year or so ago taking a dent out.

I picked up a used 5'6 Surf Rx "Seahawk" this am for my 13 year old daughter. It was $160 including a set of FCSII Performer fins and it's a Varial blank. There were several random dents I was sure my kid would have preferred not to have on the board, so I broke out the heat-gun as I have at least a handful of times on my NB2 without issue.

Out of the five or so I went to take out, two bubbled and left a little ring once the bubble subsided. This is the first time I've had it happen and I didn't do anything differently (kept the heat about 10-12" away and kept it moving in small circles).

I don't think they're are too many here with boards with Varial blanks, but just wanted to give a word of caution that it's not a dummy-proof process if you're considering it.