Varial foam Article/Ride Reports?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
YOLO one of those stoke Plasmic EASTs. I’d imagine similar range to Flare and would love a comparison. The 5’9 been caaaalllin me and I been so strong to resist its siren song for weeks… so far. LOL. Hope one of you snags it first so I don’t.

If this sale isn’t a sign you need to yolo one, i don’t know what is

• Haha
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
@oeste858

There's a blem 5'7 for $950....

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
YOLO one of those stoke Plasmic EASTs. I’d imagine similar range to Flare and would love a comparison. The 5’9 been caaaalllin me and I been so strong to resist its siren song for weeks… so far. LOL. Hope one of you snags it first so I don’t.

I swapped my TM for a Plasmic with a guy for about an hour in waves that were better suited for the Plasmic and that concave in the back was just too weird feeling for how I drive my boards. It felt like the tail was on a jacuzzi bubble sometimes.

The sensation was similar to what I felt with the Sci Fi I owned for a minute. It's too hard after almost 40 years of surfing to unlearn pumping with more weight on my front foot.

The waves are so short/quick where I surf 95% of the time. The way I drive works and I get up to speed really quickly, but some board designs don't jive with me.

The TM works perfectly with my weight distribution, it's just I can get going more quickly on my Flare, NB2 or Psych Germ in the small stuff. I'm sure the fact those boards have a third fin to push off of helps generating speed at the get-go.

Last edited:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I swapped my TM for a Plasmic with a guy for about an hour in waves that were better suited for the Plasmic and that concave in the back was just too weird feeling for how I drive my boards. It felt like the tail was on a jacuzzi bubble sometimes.

The sensation was similar to what I felt with the Sci Fi I owned for a minute. It's too hard after almost 40 years of surfing to unlearn pumping with more weight on my front foot.

The waves are so short/quick where I surf 95% of the time. The way I drive works and I get up to speed really quickly, but some board designs don't jive with me.

The TM works perfectly with my weight distribution, it's just I can get going more quickly on my Flare, NB2 or Psych Germ in the small stuff. I'm sure the fact those boards have a third fin to push off of helps generating speed at the get-go.
Did you happen to notice what fins were in the plasmic you tried? My first surf on Oeste's plasmic I used the NVS album fins and definitely felt that sensation, in addition to it lacking drive and being stiff. I switched to NVS Knox (more upright, slightly bigger) and all that disappeared and it became super natural to surf as a front foot oriented sarfer.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Did you happen to notice what fins were in the plasmic you tried? My first surf on Oeste's plasmic I used the NVS album fins and definitely felt that sensation, in addition to it lacking drive and being stiff. I switched to NVS Knox (more upright, slightly bigger) and all that disappeared and it became super natural to surf as a front foot oriented sarfer.
They were T1 honeycombs.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
For you top tier YOLO guys how has the carbon Varial been holding up? I’m always tempted to give it a go for the rnf96 (the love of my life). But then I see pics like this, with pretty significant denting. At that price point I need assurances. I don’t really care about deck denting. But man, if a 1.3k board does that on the bottom

1C0208C0-4DD2-4388-9B70-7714A6A49E33.jpeg

Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Fondled a Lost carbon varial in Catalyst and I liked the feel and weight. Seemed pretty money. Not sure about dents but would assume yours will look similar on the deck.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yes you’ll get dents. But I’ve never gotten any in the bottom, just on the deck usually where my feet are and where I duck dive. The denting feels extreme at first but then stops after the initial dents, meaning it doesn’t get worse or no new dents after the first month or so. My 1.5 year old Varial has the same dents and depth of dents since it’s first month. At first it bummed me out but the pop and flex still being there 1.5 years later, I don’t care about the dents.

*mine is not carbon

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Caught a (first wave of my short lived session) chest high wave this a.m. that was closing out and did my standard pull through the back, but my feet disengaged and my bort got sucked up/over and the rail immediately hit me in the bridge of the nose.

A CT scan (to rule out a septal hematoma) confirmed fractures on both sides of my nose, but there was not even a shatter on my poly Varial build. Sh!tty morning, but stocked I don’t have to deal with a ding repair in addition to my nose approaching Owen Wilson territory.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Caught a (first wave of my short lived session) chest high wave this a.m. that was closing out and did my standard pull through the back, but my feet disengaged and my bort got sucked up/over and the rail immediately hit me in the bridge of the nose.

A CT scan (to rule out a septal hematoma) confirmed fractures on both sides of my nose, but there was not even a shatter on my poly Varial build. Sh!tty morning, but stocked I don’t have to deal with a ding repair in addition to my nose approaching Owen Wilson territory.
Damn man. Sorry to hear that but yeah, a ding would have really been icing on the cake.