Varial foam Article/Ride Reports?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I have two varial boards in the exact same color. Definitely would not call it lavender but I do really like it. The color is definitely not perfectly solid like you'd expect from a normally wet lapped board. Doesn't bother me personally but I can see how someone might be meh on it.
He has gotten better over years but would you say its like Stretch color ie: pink is red etc..?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
He has gotten better over years but would you say its like Stretch color ie: pink is red etc..?
Who knows. The varial boards I have ordered with color have been true to color. Red = red, black = black.

This purple is definitely one of their stock colors (at least is seems so). I love it but it's definitely not lavender.

Actually, it seems like lavender is really open to interpretation. The flower can get pretty dark but...

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
"Whiteness - Here’s another category where epoxy wins out. The natural color of Varial Foam is eggshell white. While Varial Foam is 100% yellow proof from sunlight exposure, some people want their new board to be as white as possible. If that’s the case for you, you’ll want to pick epoxy resin. To make it blindingly-white put in a special request to upgrade your fiberglass to S Glass. The cost will be based on the exact dimensions and layup schedule of your board. S Glass fiberglass is 42% stronger than E Glass and also 24% stiffer, so changing the cloth will definitely have performance and strength implications for your board"

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
i ordered it through varial. it took 6+ months. longest I've ever waited for a board. the color is not what i expected but I like it. the board feels pretty good under arm. this is my first CI in ages.
That thing is nnnooooiiiccceee! Did they pull the nose width in too, or is that all from just stretching out the stock dims?

did they tell you where the log jam was? I thought the whole arb with Varial/xtr was it didn’t have to wait in line for CI to get it glassed? I guess glassing isn’t the only bottleneck anymore.

Reactions: Aruka

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
When I ordered in February, I think they said 12 weeks for clear poly infused, but it was shipped in 5 weeks. Just waiting on Fedex at this point.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
That thing is nnnooooiiiccceee! Did they pull the nose width in too, or is that all from just stretching out the stock dims?

did they tell you where the log jam was? I thought the whole arb with Varial/xtr was it didn’t have to wait in line for CI to get it glassed? I guess glassing isn’t the only bottleneck anymore.
I didn't ask for anything special so I'm guessing it's just the stretched out dims.

No word on why there was such a hold up. Guessing it was CI related because my previous varials were done in less than half the time.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Do these float the same as poly?
From Varial's website:
Varial’s technologies keep boards lighter without sacrificing durability or performance. A common question we get is "should I adjust my volume for Varial?" Our light weight technologies do help the board feel a little more buoyant when paddling, but we do not recommend adjusting your volume for this. When on a wave, the board will still have a great flex and drive and not surf "on top of the water" like EPS constructions.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
what are everyone's thoughts on venarial for a step-up? not a huge fan of pyzel's glassing (super light in my personal experience) and so looking at getting a varial ghost, but the lack of a stringer concerns me given the waves that kine board is meant for

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
what are everyone's thoughts on venarial for a step-up? not a huge fan of pyzel's glassing (super light in my personal experience) and so looking at getting a varial ghost, but the lack of a stringer concerns me given the waves that kine board is meant for
If I was gonna get a step up I'd probably get it glassed 666. Although it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd get a Varial step up for a travel board, but for waves at home I'd probably just get a regular PU board glassed 646 with epoxy resin. That's a good set up. Or get a stretch board in CFT or legacy. I really like the weight of that legacy construction. It's expensive as hell but probably lasts forever.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I love Varial but I'm a no on a step up in their construction. Surprised to hear that about Pyzel. Have only had super solid boards from them but I only order customs from Hawaii.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
If I was gonna get a step up I'd probably get it glassed 666. Although it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd get a Varial step up for a travel board, but for waves at home I'd probably just get a regular PU board glassed 646 with epoxy resin. That's a good set up. Or get a stretch board in CFT or legacy. I really like the weight of that legacy construction. It's expensive as hell but probably lasts forever.
I got my 2x4 CFT heavy and even more bullet proof and has a nice weight compared to medium:shaka:

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi-- I don't know if you had a bad experience with one of my boards, but all our stock boards in Hawaii and mainland USA are built with Arctic foam and glassed with 2x4 deck/4 bottom. You can also custom order any weight combo of glass that you want at no extra charge. We have a lot of great feedback on our quality, but sometimes people are simply hard on boards (my daughter puts her knee into the deck on every duckdive and ruins my boards if she borrows them!). From your post it kinda sounds like you just prefer a heavier glass job, but If you think you got a low quality board from us please let me know.
Thanks - JP