Varial foam Article/Ride Reports?

Jan 4, 2016
paging @Meeks , hoping you can shed some light on some of the Varial shapes you’ve shared on here!
If you're at all a performance oriented surfer, Varial is DEFINITELY worth the additional money.
This goes for beach breaks all the way to Pipe.....The flex gives the boards a spring out of turns you cannot get or duplicate
with any other construction. I know guys that have ridden them for years now, with no 'dead' feeling you get with pu/pe.
They do dent somewhat. But, they are also extremely durable. I think one reason they don't snap in half is the flex.
Again, I know guys that swear their Varials have survived heavy barrels that would have broken a regular pu/pe build.

Reactions: ehiunno and sdsrfr

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I wanted to surf head high plus reef but my cousin had other ideas. We went around the corner and it was nearly triple overhead double ups. Not at all the right board, but I didn't want to puss out. Varial felt good even in maxed out conditions. Didn't really get a chance to do any big carves or turns as I was running for my life with my comp leash on every wave, but varial wasn't a negative in this situation.

Last edited:

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Thanks to racer and meeks for all of the info

It's cool to see the foam has gained traction with some of the "local" shapers and rippers in HI

This thread is really making me want a good wave board in varial, will definitely be thinking about it with 2021 hurricane season on the horizon. This place is dangerous :)

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
A little tricky without the stringer. shapes more like poly but the finish looks like eps. Kinda like shaping a green density blank with the characteristics of a red density blank? It’s nice not having to take down a stringer.
Will you glass it yourself too?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Anyone ever get a venereal w/ all carbon?

Curious how it compares to darth arts. I think it comes out a few hundo less all said and done.

Reactions: Aruka

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Just to wet your all's whistles on the Varial front. Here are the details of my Varial summer quiver.

Wills Fish (5'6 x 20 x 2 3/8)
Aipa Dark Horse 5-Fin (5'9 x 19 5/8 x 2 5/8)
CI Two Happy SITD Grovel (5'11 x 19 3/8 x 2 9/16)

Now go ahead and shower me with praise and/or jealousy.

Last edited: